K&N Air Filter

I am going to check into this more. Does anyone know if the air filter for the Journey is the same size as the air filter for the 3.5L V6 Avenger. It appears to be the same shape, but I haven't gotten out the ruler to check dimensions.

I'm almost at 9000 miles on the Journey and need to replace mine soon.

John

• 5 months later...
Does anyone know when K & N will be coming out with an air filter for the Journey? I always put these in my cars it increases fuel economy and performance.

I did a cross reference of the stock filter and K&N filter 33-2206 should fit. Advance auto parts list the oem filter "35396" (which also fits a 2007 dodge caravan) and 33-2206(k&N) is the equivalent.

• 4 weeks later...

I picked mine up today. Works great. A couple things to be aware of though: First, the gasket that is included with the unit is specifically for the caravan. The Journey does not have a recess along the edge of the top plenum, therefore you do not need to add the gasket. If it is added I suspect that there would be a possibility for air to get through by-passing the filter. The second item to note is that like any K&N filter, the rubber portion of the filter is a few millimeters thicker than that of the OEM resulting in a little tighter fit. You have to really push on the clips (clips are a dodge design suit the purpose, but not the best engineering) to get them up over the lip. I used a pair of pliers to aid in this. This is the second vehicle I have purchased a filter for, had one on my truck for years now, it is also a tight fit.

I picked mine up today. Works great. A couple things to be aware of though: First, the gasket that is included with the unit is specifically for the caravan. The Journey does not have a recess along the edge of the top plenum, therefore you do not need to add the gasket. If it is added I suspect that there would be a possibility for air to get through by-passing the filter. The second item to note is that like any K&N filter, the rubber portion of the filter is a few millimeters thicker than that of the OEM resulting in a little tighter fit. You have to really push on the clips (clips are a dodge design suit the purpose, but not the best engineering) to get them up over the lip. I used a pair of pliers to aid in this. This is the second vehicle I have purchased a filter for, had one on my truck for years now, it is also a tight fit.

What is the K&N Part Number your using Big?

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Be aware that the Purolator PA35396 gasket is thicker than the OEM and when the tech from Advance Auto Parts installed the second filter because the first would not fit, he tore the gasket pushing the air box cover in place and and had to force the retainer clips in place. Got a refund and will purchase air filter from Dodge. I also cannot find the cabin filter so I guess that will come from Dodge also.

Wild Bill

I agree with wild Bill the Purolator does not fit

I went to the Dodge dealership and got the air filter($26.90) and cabin filter($20.17). A bit pricey as the after markets are about 50% less. Air filter fit just fine. Anyone notice how much dirt was in the bottom of the air box? Bad intake location behind the grill, maybe?

I'm going to write to Purolaor and find out why the air filter does not fit and why they don't make a cabin filter. Let you know what I hear. Set for another 12,000 miles.

I went to the Dodge dealership and got the air filter($26.90) and cabin filter($20.17). A bit pricey as the after markets are about 50% less. Air filter fit just fine. Anyone notice how much dirt was in the bottom of the air box? Bad intake location behind the grill, maybe?

I'm going to write to Purolaor and find out why the air filter does not fit and why they don't make a cabin filter. Let you know what I hear. Set for another 12,000 miles.

Just went to my dealer yesterday. they quoted me $18.40 + tax for the cabin filter.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys for the heads up on the K&N filter part number. Bought it and put it in the other day. Abit of a pain to sqeeze the air box top back on. But manageable.

Here is a question though. When I switch the OEM filter on my bike to the K&N I had to change the jets in my carbs to compensate for the extra air flow going through it. Doing this to the SUV now. Being a fuel injected engine. Is this not a factor now at all ? I can't say my engine runs worser. I could feel a slight better accelleration in the lower gears though. Maybe its my imagination.

No you do not have to perform any upgrades to the injectors or intake. All new vehicles are equipped with a mass air flow sensor which will automatically adjust your fuel ratio for the amount of air passing through\by it. You would only have to perform modifications to this system if you were going to bolt on major performance upgrades like a super charger.

No you do not have to perform any upgrades to the injectors or intake. All new vehicles are equipped with a mass air flow sensor which will automatically adjust your fuel ratio for the amount of air passing through\by it. You would only have to perform modifications to this system if you were going to bolt on major performance upgrades like a super charger.

I am not sure about the Journey,but my 2007 Caliber 2.0L does not have a MAF sensor. I was told Chryslers do not use them. Like I said not sure about the Journey. It being 2 MY newer and all.

Thanks for clearing that up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Yes...the closing of the top lid is a bit challenging with the 33-2206...and with one person trying to do it...I had to be smarter than the task @ hand.

Used a 3" C clamp to compress the closure together / you have a very small lip to get ahold of on the airbox...but it worx better than trying to press it down manually, and hook the clip @ the same time.

Hope this helps! :)

Yes...the closing of the top lid is a bit challenging with the 33-2206...and with one person trying to do it...I had to be smarter than the task @ hand.

Used a 3" C clamp to compress the closure together / you have a very small lip to get ahold of on the airbox...but it worx better than trying to press it down manually, and hook the clip @ the same time.

Hope this helps! :)

I would make sure you have the right filter because mine fit just like the factory one. I had no problems closing it.

• 1 month later...