4.3 Backup Camera Install

• 2 months later...

Finally I managed to install the camera.

First I fabricated a license plate light with the camera (I don't want to drill holes, just in case):

250_luce_targa_1.jpg260_sopporto_luce_targa.jpg270_luce_targa_con_supporto.jpg280_portalampada.jpg

290_portalampada_finito.jpg

Then I passed the cable, roughly using the guide for the oem camera (roughly because the guide is wrong in places and I didn't want to dismantle the whole car). This is where the cable ends:

300_cavo_telecamera.jpg

And this is the camera installed.

310_telecamera_montata.jpg

The other end of the cable goes behind the glove box:

1) cable from the camera

2) cable to the gps (power supply and video)

3) 5v power supply, the grey cable is for the gps/camera, the black one is for the tmc receiver/bluetooth module.

4) dc-dc converter scavenged from an old network card (to isolate grounds, otherwise the video was bad)

5) switch for the camera (provisional, I don't want to make any modification to the car, just in case Fiat would use that as an excuse not to fix the radio)

6) partially covered here's a tmc receiver with a bluetooth to serial converter

325_cavi_numerati.jpg

And this is what the camera shows

330_immagine_telecamera.jpg

Next steps: install a microswitch in the gear lever (so that I can detect reverse independently from the main circuit, but I don't know how to remove the knob without breaking it), install a front parking camera, install a microcontroller to control the cameras.

Edited by Lebowski

Looks good.

A little over complicated, but u did say u were a software engineer. You sure you don't work for FIAT?? Lol

I installed back up sensors on mine. I drilled into the car, cut wires, used colored zip ties. I didn't care. I'm a bad ass!

?.. I didn't quite get you. U were loosing signal for the transmitter due to the ground? Or interference?

Another thing, how fast does the image shows up on the screen? Do you get a static screen briefly?

Well, it's not that complicated, mostly because I didn't want to do any permanent modification (especially to the electrical system of the car) and I want to install a front camera later on. You have seen nothing yet, wait for me to find a way to install a couple of microswitches to sense reverse and 1st gear and a microcontroller to rule them all ;)

The problem was interference, most probably a ground loop, so with the dc-dc isolated converter I got rid of it. Another solution would have been to use a transformer, but I didn't have one available, video grade transformers are quite expensive and the dc-dc converter cost me 0€. Not the most efficient solution (there are 3 conversions involved, from 12V to 5V to 9V to 3.3V, the latter regulator is inside the camera) but it works.

When I turn on the camera I get the image in 1 or 2 seconds, no static screen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks.

I contacted www.gm-navigation.com and they are giving camera plus hookups that will attach to my current 4.3 infotainment. This also gives me the capability to add nav in future. They are asking $700. Now i dont know if it will be DIY or will i need to pay extra to get it installed.

Did you ever get this installed?

• 1 year later...

http://i.imgur.com/uH3GenU.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is the camera that was diy. spent about $200 for the rydeen mirror w/ backup camera included. it might be a little pricey but honestly look at how oem it looks and you dont have people looking through your car and noticing something they might want to steal. If anyone is interested in more info just let me kno. i am more than happy to help anyone in need. i have pictures and can write out a full description of how to wire everything.

http://i.imgur.com/uH3GenU.jpg

If anyone is interested, this is the camera that was diy. spent about $200 for the rydeen mirror w/ backup camera included. it might be a little pricey but honestly look at how oem it looks and you dont have people looking through your car and noticing something they might want to steal. If anyone is interested in more info just let me kno. i am more than happy to help anyone in need. i have pictures and can write out a full description of how to wire everything.

Hi, i am interested in this mirror and would love to see how you did it? I really like the auto dimming feature of the original mirriror. Is this feature available in rydeen as well? Which model and where did you buy it?

Thanks

Edited by tahirjadoon

Hi, i am interested in this mirror and would love to see how you did it? I really like the auto dimming feature of the original mirriror. Is this feature available in rydeen as well? Which model and where did you buy it?

Thanks

I purchased it of ebay. In the search bar just type rydeen mirror with backup camera in order to get the kit. If you are interested we can always email each other just because sending pictures is much easier. Honestly im not 100% sure but it seems like it does come with the auto dim. Just because ive noticed how at night i cant see the persons headlights behind me as much as i do from the side mirrors.

• 2 years later...

Apparently can be done at least on a 2011-2012, I would like to do it on my 2014.

Since the video said 2014 the Journey looks 2011-12 correct me if I wrong.

Edited by ROLOTX