4.3 Backup Camera Install

Had to bring in my new 2012 Journey (which I love!) after 300 miles because of a fluid leak (turned out to be a power steering seal, still waiting on a part) and asked the service guy about a backup camera. He took the VIN and checked it and told me that my vehicle is capable of having one installed. Does that mean it is a plug and play? That the wiring exists behind the camera punch-out above the license plate? He's talking $500 +. Looking for any tips on this. Thanks in advance! This forum is a great resource!

Kevin

he might be talking about the kind where they replace your rear driving mirror with a bigger one that on one end of it will show the view from the rear of your journey. i have the 8.4 without a camera and they said that was all they could add and couldnt add the one that goes thur my screen. they wanted about $550. at the time. but i didnt have it done. still thinking about doing the lockpik camera but havent pulled the trigger yet...

Interesting, I though the 4.3 has no provision for external video.

There are some interfaces (the UCI11C and some Chinese ones) but those intercept the cable connecting the radio to the screen (LVDS signal).

If it's just a matter of knowing the pins and the can bus messages, it would be a nice find.

That, or 2late4u is right and they will install another monitor for the camera.

Thank you both for your responses. I'll ask again about the screen/mirror when I take it in to get the seal replaced. He told me it would be on my screen but I could have misunderstood. I have been thinking about the lockpick as well. I have a rear view camera on my Town and Country and do miss that capability.

Thanks again!

Kevin

• 2 weeks later...

Seal was replaced along with other power steering gear. He still doesn't know about the backup camera and will get back to me. But I now have a new problem; radio station is changing channels on its own as random times. Happened to me twice on my drive in this morning. It drops it down to one station before. 6 becomes 5 for no apparent reason. Happened to me yesterday when i was lowering the window but today I wasn't doing anything. Also, told him about the fuel gauge never reading full. He told me that Chrysler is working on the problem and hope to have a fix by July. He was reading from an actual bulletin from Chrysler. I filled up my tank the next day and it indicatced full for the first time. This is unreal :-(

Told me $1800 for backup camera as it needs the 8.4 radio. I told him I could take a trip to Europe for less. He agreed that it was insane. My gauge now reads full when I get a fill if the gas pump is on slow speed. Not happy; see my other post on radio stations magically changing.

I just ordered a cheap 5" gps unit with av-in from China, I think it will take around a month to arrive.

It should fit nicely below the 4.3" screen and, if it works right, I can add a backup camera to it later.

The unit cost me $59 (it was $64 but I found a $5 coupon code), a wireless backup camera costs around $30-40.

Less than $100 (and with more functionality) is a lot less than $1800.

Not as nicely integrated but who cares?

Besides, I prefer 2 (or more) screens instead of multiplexing everything on the same screen.

I just ordered a cheap 5" gps unit with av-in from China, I think it will take around a month to arrive.

It should fit nicely below the 4.3" screen and, if it works right, I can add a backup camera to it later.

The unit cost me $59 (it was $64 but I found a $5 coupon code), a wireless backup camera costs around $30-40.

Less than $100 (and with more functionality) is a lot less than $1800.

Not as nicely integrated but who cares?

Besides, I prefer 2 (or more) screens instead of multiplexing everything on the same screen.

Sounds great!! Please take some pictures when you've installed the unit!

• 2 weeks later...

OK, this is the unit I ordered, it arrived yesterday in good conditions. I'm pretty busy with work so I don't have time to fit it properly and to take pictures, but I will do as soon as I can.

It's working properly, though I only tested navigation and blutooth (the latter I don't need since the uconnect already provides for that), I couldn't test the video input since I'm waiting for a backup camera that I ordered from another supplier.

OK, this is the unit I ordered, it arrived yesterday in good conditions. I'm pretty busy with work so I don't have time to fit it properly and to take pictures, but I will do as soon as I can.

It's working properly, though I only tested navigation and blutooth (the latter I don't need since the uconnect already provides for that), I couldn't test the video input since I'm waiting for a backup camera that I ordered from another supplier.

Thanks for the update and looking forward to the install. If all goes well, I'll pick one up and take a trip to Europe :-)

My radio ended up dying on me totally and I had to get a software reload. Been two days; so far it is still working.

I'd personally hang it from the windshield above the mirror and run the wiring in the headliner - less 'clutter' that way and you have an unobstructed run to the rear of the vehicle for your camera - you can bring the wiring up through one of the roof pillars. The unit would also be less visible to the casual observer, since it is shielded from view by the black coating on the windshield.

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes that's the only problem with stand alone units

I have to remember to hide it when I get out.

The one I use when I need it is HTC 7501 and it

does connect with stand alone BT camera so it's

really multipurpose.

bigtsr, i am trying to find a unit and an inexpensive to go is just like what you did. Is it easy DIY or do i need to go to a professional? Could you please give me the model numbers for the gps and camera that you purchased?

I am thinking about going with Magellan but i think i can get this all setup cheap. Some of these cheap Chinese gps units are not that good and user friendly like tom tom or Magellan.

http://www.magellangps.com/Products/RoadMate_Back-up-Camera/Magellan-RoadMate-Wireless-Back-up-Camera

Thanks,

TJ

Edited by tahirjadoon

bigtsr, i am trying to find a unit and an inexpensive to go is just like what you did. Is it easy DIY or do i need to go to a professional? Could you please give me the model numbers for the gps and camera that you purchased?

I am thinking about going with Magellan but i think i can get this all setup cheap. Some of these cheap Chinese gps units are not that good and user friendly like tom tom or Magellan.

http://www.magellang...-Back-up-Camera

Thanks,

TJ

The equipment I use has all been discontinued or replaced in the marketplace

by newer versions from the same maker.

The hook ups for most of the availiable units is actually fairly straightforward and

simple when you use wireless camera to wireless receiver.

Receiver is standalone mounted in front where you want and plugged into 12vdc

outlet(key operated) at front of center console.

The wireless camera you mount on license plate mounts and route wires to follow

existing wires for plate lights,the power for the camera is(if done correctly)derived

by tapping off the backup light wires - + so cam comes on only when you put into

reverse.

I didn't wire to back up lights (lazy) and just took power from 12 vdc outlet in rear

cargo area (key operated) which means the camera is on all the time the DJ is running.

The one thing with the new model cars (Chrysler) is that the TIPM is sensitive to current

changes within the vehicle so it is advisable to use relays to tap power from existing

power sources using the relays to enable operating voltages/currents directly from the

battery (or rear dc outlet).

I have bought several electronic items from China and todate have not had a problem

they deliver quickly and with no duties to Canada and for the price all have done what

they are intended to accomplish.

• 4 weeks later...

This is just a proof-of-concept to test the placement, I have something better in mind but it'll have to wait (the camera is on its way and I have no time :()

Yesterday I changed the location, since I had some problem seeing the satellites (the unit was still operational, but it wasn't "perfect"), now that I'm on holiday I hope I manage to fabricate a custom holder to clean up the mess and completely hide the cabling:

120_piano_b_vista_guidatore.jpg

I used some network UTP cable I had lying around, since the dash is soft I didn't need to drill any hole, and hopefully I should be able to remove it without leaving any trace:

100_piano_b_cavi.jpg

This is the other end of the cable, behind the glove box. Currently I just go from there to the socket in the center console, but eventually I plan to put everything here (camera connection, an extra socket, the 12V to 5V converter, a TMC receiver, etc.).

110_piano_b_cavi_2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This is the holder I'm fabricating, using epoxy putty.

Rough version, hand molded (saran wrap to protect the unit, adhesive tape to protect the dashboard):

190_preparazione_nuovo_supporto.jpg

Sanded, ready to paint. Notice the connector to quickly remove it/put it in place (I hope it lasts since this kind of connector isn't designed for many insertion/removal cycles):

:

200_nuovo_supporto_carteggiato.jpg 210_nuovo_supporto_connettore.jpg