Allpar Review Accurate?

generaltso

I just read this review of the 2011 Journey Crew at allpar.com. In general, it's a very good review. But there are a couple of things they mentioned that left me scratching my head.

http://www.allpar.com/reviews/2011/journey.html

It says:

it'll also show you when you're running on four cylinder mode (by flashing the word “ECO.”)

Is that true? This is the first I've ever seen any mention that the V6 can run in "four cylinder mode". The owner's manual does say that there's an ECO light (if equipped), but it doesn't say what it actually does.

I also saw this:

The trunk has no physical key, but the fob button will pop it open (all the way)

Again, this is the first I've heard of this. The pictures of the Journey key fob that I've seen don't even have a trunk button. Does anyone have a Journey with a trunk button on the fob? If so, does a press of the button really "pop it open (all the way)"?

If these features don't actually exist, where did Allpar get this review vehicle that had these features?

Is there the possibility that those features only appear on the top

of the line US model?

My fob only has remote start but it does have the extended long

press on the UNLOCK button that will lower the driver and passenger

windows automatically.

Maybe they have a mixed up a review for another model/make.

There are a couple of errors in that review - they mentiuon that the SXT/Crew adds ABS - it is standard across the product. I suspect that the 'open the hatch' thing was a mis-impression. Power rear hatch just doesn;t exist - they DID mention that they missed the rear door lock push button in the review, so it wasn;t quite as detailed as it might have been.

There was one other item in that review that caught nmy attention; They mentioned that the model came with standard Bluetooth - we know that can't be true.

Note that for 2012 all models above the base include crossbars with the roof rails (darn it).

The open rear hatch just was taken the info incorrectly I do believe. I think he means open by itself without using a key.They made the mistake saying full opened.

As for the ECO mode in my 2012 manual (the one I had to call and get) not the quick guide, States Fuel saver ............"The ECO indicator will illuminate in the Cumpass/Outside temp./Odemeter line of the EVIC display. This will appear when you are driving in a fuel sfficient manner and can be used to modify driving habits in order to increase fuel economy."

....Caper.........

It does not say what Average fuel Eco. you need to make to get this indicator to turn on though?...Anybody know?

• 1 month later...

It does not say what Average fuel Eco. you need to make to get this indicator to turn on though?...Anybody know?

I don't think there's a specific avg fuel economy you have to meet. It comes on when your driving in a 'fuel efficient manner' - ie, highway cruising, light acceleration (though I've never seen mine come on with any type of acceleration). At least that's what I've noticed.

As to the Pentastar engine - I believe a MDS (Mutiple Displacement Service) type system (the Hemi has this in the 1500 Ram's) will come in the future. In the Hemi, it goes into 4 cylinder mode when cruising or light pedal/light load conditions. From experience with mine, any sort of acceleration or crusing over 70 mph and it's back in full V8 mode.

As to the rear hatch - I think what he meant was the fob fully 'unlocks' all doors including the rear hatch. It doesn't actually "open".

• 4 weeks later...

i think Doug has the "ECO" thing right. the 2010 Challenger SE we had before the Journey was a basic car. In the simple EVIC in that car, "ECO" would be displayed when driving within a predetermined range (speed/throttle position) which would produce a reasonable fuel economy. i haven't noticed if my Journey has it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Note that for 2012 all models above the base include crossbars with the roof rails (darn it).

I am not "rubbing it in" but my my 2010 R/T AWD had the crossbars included, I have since added some Malone Kayak carriers.

Terry

141743334.jpg

Edited by Windancer

• 5 months later...