Where is the oil going

MWG

I had the disappearing oil problem but that was on a new 1985

Plymouth Voyager and it was the valve guides that were defective

in the Mitsu engine they used.

It used a liter of oil every 700 kms,dealer told me it was normal

but I disagreed went to another dealer and sure enough a TSB was

in the system.

Hi, No resolution. I've moved to far away to visit my dealership to keep up doing the oil consumption over and over again, I heard some people had new engines put in I guess they fought hard for it. Where did you hear about maybe a valve guide issue? It's to bad we can't get a answer. Is it the valve guides? Should I change to a synthetic oil? My car has over 100,000 Km now.

Switching to synthetic will not help and I know it's taboo to use oil additives in our Journeys but a product like Lucas Heavy Duty oil stabilizer may help slow the oil consumption so you are not constantly filling it with oil. Now that you have moved have you tried going to a dealership near your area and see if they take the oil consumption more seriously? I think you are still in the powertrain warranty period? I would try to get it done and fight as hard as you can on the issue.

• 2 weeks later...

we have a 2009 R/T and it also uses too much oil, I am constantly checking it.. I have had 2 rams with over 130000 on both, any they never used a drop (5.7) now my wifes Journey uses a lot.. something has to be wrong with it.. the 09 has the limited lifetime powertrain warranty, but this is ridiculous.. something needs to be done about this...

• 1 month later...

Hi all, I have the 2010 Journey FWD R/T 3.5l and i am having the same issue with the oil running low. i have no idea where it is going but i have noticed that after about a 1000 miles the oil doesnt look like oil anymore, its looks like a charcoal color with soot in it and smells like exhaust. If i dont keep up with the oil atleast every fill up of gas the engine will start knocking real bad in the upper valve area. I find myself changing the oil every 1500 miles cause the oil just looks like friggen water. I am not impressed with the 3.5l I really miss my 2003 1500 dodge ram hemi. never had 1 issue with her.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

This is happening in my Grand Caravan (2011) about 3 litres per 5000km. It never used to do it. It does not burn blue, it does not leak. My mechanic changed PVC, and still same problem. Dodge says "normal". I say that's crap.

This isn't my first car... never happened in any other vehicle. Did any one else who changed their PVC see results? If not, what did you do next?

Thanks

cbrowne, on 06 Jul 2016 - 10:27 PM, said:

This is happening in my Grand Caravan (2011) about 3 litres per 5000km. It never used to do it. It does not burn blue, it does not leak. My mechanic changed PVC, and still same problem. Dodge says "normal". I say that's crap.

This isn't my first car... never happened in any other vehicle. Did any one else who changed their PVC see results? If not, what did you do next?

Thanks

Check a caravan forum. This forum is for Dodge Journeys. But maybe try a different "mechanic". That's such an old school term for technicians that actually know what they are doing.

Edited by jkeaton

• 2 weeks later...

I have just passed two years of ownership.  I have never checked my oil!  After reading this, maybe I should start.  All oil changes have been done by my Dealer, and nothing has ever been said about missing oil between changes.

• 1 month later...

I had a 2004 Intrepid with 3.5 engine which used about one liter every 5000 K. I now have a 2007 Sebring with 3.5 engine which uses approx. 1liter after first 3000 k from oil change then approx 1 liter every 2000 k after. This engine started using oil after approx 25000 Kim's. Chrysler mechanic said these engines have issues with oil rings gumming up which lets oil by the rings. If the engine has lots of city driving and is not driven at higher rpm this may happen more. Chrysler will not usually repair the engine unless consumption is more than one liter per 800 to 1000 km.