Lockpick for uconnect touch

Derivative99 thanks a bunch you saved me from tearing my dash apart again, same problems same 2011 journey R/T (Canadian). And i thought i would get more out of my ipod touch 4th gen like pictures,movies,playlist etc hooked to my centre console thats why i bought the C8 over the C8r , I hope software update will fix all this.

Thanks Mike

Mike, you should send an email to Coastal Electronics to let them know what is happening. I did and after asking for my phone number their tech department called me. They say that my report is the first with the backup camera/reverse issue. They think it is because I own a Canadian Journey. They are going to try and fix it, but it may take a few weeks. Send an email to support@coastaletech.com. They have been great at listening to me.

Just for fun, today I took everything apart to ensure I had no bend pins in any harness. There were no bent pins. So, it is certainly an issue with the LockPick. I also did the UConnect Update today (as described in another posting) but that did not solve the issue either. With the help of support, I did discover that if I turn the DVD Override off (get rid of the star beside the OVERRIDE LockPick menu option) it appears to activate the rear camera, when in reverse, but it just shows a blank screen, with the text "Check Your Surroundings". Can you try that and see if you get the same response out of your LockPick?

I was also able to verify the quality of the factory reverse camera is not as good once the LockPick is installed. I took off the LockPick and tried the reverse camera and again had great quality video. With the LockPick installed the picture is much darker and so some the picture is just not as clear and easy to see. Do you find the quality has decreased with the LockPick installed?

I hope we get this issue solved. I really like the auto reverse camera. Having to manually turn it on, is a real pain...

Derivative99 thanks a bunch you saved me from tearing my dash apart again, same problems same 2011 journey R/T (Canadian). And i thought i would get more out of my ipod touch 4th gen like pictures,movies,playlist etc hooked to my centre console thats why i bought the C8 over the C8r , I hope software update will fix all this.

Thanks Mike

Edited by Derivative99

Well, CoastalElectronics has great customer service!

Today, they emailed me a firmware update for the LockPick. I applied the update and "boom" rear camera works automatically when the car is in reverse. Awesome! I also tested a few other things and all worked no problem, such as, DVD playing while care in motion, text entry into the navigation system while the care is in motion, playing video/audio from my iPhone through the AUX cable and the 8.4 screen. Everything works, as I had expected when I purchased the LockPick.

Now, I think I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a camera for the front of the car. I hope the "auto front camera" works without a problem.

Today, they emailed me a firmware update for the LockPick. I applied the update and "boom" rear camera works automatically when the car is in reverse. Awesome! I also tested a few other things and all worked no problem, such as, DVD playing while care in motion, text entry into the navigation system while the care is in motion, playing video/audio from my iPhone through the AUX cable and the 8.4 screen. Everything works, as I had expected when I purchased the LockPick.

Now, I think I am going to bite the bullet and purchase a camera for the front of the car. I hope the "auto front camera" works without a problem.

http://storeimages.apple.com/1864/as-images.apple.com/is/image/AppleInc/MC917?wid=90&hei=80&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp Is this the cable?($47) will it do pictures,mp3, & playlist to. Is the cable with the money? thanks again Mike

Derivative99 after the software update to fix the back up camera now i have no sound coming from AM FM radio you? it's there just no sound.I could no see the antenna wire falling off. Please let me no i will call Carlos today thanks Mike

Unfortunately, no the quality of the camera did not improve. The image is just dark. I think if there was a "contrast" control and it was made lighter, it would be perfect. Perhaps this will come in a future update. Personally, I did not mention this to the CoastalEtech support when I called about the rear/reverse camera issue.

After your Lockpick update did your reverse camera quality improve?

I have an email thread with their support and they say since I have the factory reverse camera that the Lockpick will not use any additional cameras... :(

No, that is not the cable you want to buy. You pictured the component cable. You want the composite cable, as seen here...Apple.com Store

I am still thinking about what to do with the USB end of the cable, so that I can charge the iPhone while playing video through the LockPick to the 8.4" screen. I am thinking I will try and have the cable come out below the "control centre" (below, volume, fan, tune knobs) and then use a USB adapter to plug the cable into the auxiliary outlet in the storage cubby in front of the shifter.

What have others done to power the iPhone that is connected to the LockPick?

Edited by Derivative99

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I just picked-up my new 2011 Crew edition Journey last week and discovered your great forum today.

Unfortunately my Crew didn't come with the humongous 8.4" screen (probably because of the Japan supply issue mentioned on this site).

I was wondering if it is possible to hook a reverse camera with the smaller 4.3" display. I have bluetooth Uconnect and SAT on this device.

Thanks!

Stephen...

I don't think they have a lockpick for the new 2011 4.3" Uconnect Touch system. At least I couldn't find it on their site. There is no code in the lower right corner of the 2011 Uconnect Touch systems. The 4.3" system is not available with nav, only option for that unit is Sirius, which then makes it the 4.3S model.

Your best best would be to call or email them to find out if they will be coming out with a version for the Uconnect Touch 4.3/4.3S

I don't think they have a lockpick for the new 2011 4.3" Uconnect Touch system. At least I couldn't find it on their site. There is no code in the lower right corner of the 2011 Uconnect Touch systems. The 4.3" system is not available with nav, only option for that unit is Sirius, which then makes it the 4.3S model.

Your best best would be to call or email them to find out if they will be coming out with a version for the Uconnect Touch 4.3/4.3S

any word on the lockpick for 4.3" inch uconnect?

• 3 weeks later...

Your best bet would be to email coastal tech customer support for an ETA.

I got a response and the guy said the current version of lockpick would work with the 4.3 unconnects because they are the same system as teh 8 inch , the only difference is screen size........????? he said just to choose between factory reverse camera or no camera.... What do you guys think?

• 2 weeks later...

Is there anyone with a 2011 Journey (mine is an R/T) with a front camera installed (I have the CoastalEtech Bar Cam) connected to a LockPick? My front camera will not turn off by pressing the center button on the back of the steering wheel on the left side (when I have the LockPick set for AutoFront). Coastal seems to think is an issue with only Canadian Journey's.

Also, did anyone notice a missing pin in the LockPick harness? I have been very disappointed with the video quality produced by the LockPick and I am starting to wonder if this is the issue. My factory reverse video is very dark, and playing video from my iPod or iPhone trough the LockPick produces "scrolling lines" in the video. The video is almost unwatchable...See the attached file for the missing pin.

post-4017-0-51352100-1314978736_thumb.jp

Edited by Derivative99

I got a response and the guy said the current version of lockpick would work with the 4.3 unconnects because they are the same system as teh 8 inch , the only difference is screen size........????? he said just to choose between factory reverse camera or no camera.... What do you guys think?

I have the same option U4.3S as you and have been looking at CoastalTech's Lockpicks. I emailed them with the information on my Journey except for the three digit radio code. Alan from CoastalTech responded that they needed the three digit code in order to provide the correct Lockpick (MYGIG V.4 or CHR550). From the information on their website the C8/C8R looks to be just for the U8.4 radios. And looking at the parts breakdown for the Journey there are at least three different radios that would be used with the 4.3" screen. I need to pull the headunit to get the code off but that's not saying your 4.3S will have the same headunit. You may have to do the same to make certain you get the correct Lockpick.

EDIT: The code will either be on the back or side panel of the radio itself.

Edited by coolram62

• 1 month later...

i installed mine this past thursday night. took maybe 30 minutes. tucked the module up OVER the stereo... essentially right below the screen and to the right.. i had very little trouble with the harness. it fit nicely. i didnt add any options for ours. cant afford it yet. DVD in motion and rear cam activation works like a charm.

very happy.... and theres plenty of room to upgrade later.

This is very tempting considering the easy installation!

I wonder how much is required to add a factory back-up camera...my guess is that the tailgate harness already has the wiring and connectors in place...wonder if the camera unit is plug and play with the 8.4?

i called coastal about install and parts to add the back up camera he said the camera comes with a 21 foot cable to connect to the lock pic connecter so you mount it over lic plate and have to route the cable thur the hatchback and under carpet or how ever you want to run it. that sounds like the only hard part. wish you could add a gps that would run thur the touch screen also.want to order one but not sure how hard it would be to run the cable. Has any one done it yet? as of 10-14-2011 it would be a couple of more weeks untill they would be shipping any of the units.dont know if they are having a problem making the units or what ?

This is very tempting considering the easy installation!

I wonder how much is required to add a factory back-up camera...my guess is that the tailgate harness already has the wiring and connectors in place...wonder if the camera unit is plug and play with the 8.4?

I am wondering the same. When you find out, let me know!

• 1 month later...

I am wondering the same. When you find out, let me know!

i can almost say that the harness wont have the wiring connections if the car didnt come with a back up camera.meaning you will have to run the wire that coastl provides to connect the camera to the radio. if any one has installed a rear camera in rheir journey from coastle i would love to hear about the pitcher quality ,if it would be as good as the dodge camera

• 3 weeks later...

just seen this topic on the internet dodge forum trucks. have been wanting to get one so i could add the back up camera but was wanting to hear from some one that had done it and how good the screen looked after installing it. the artical i am posting does not bode to good for the lock pick ,dont think i will try it now.

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram with the MYGIG. I purchased a Lockpick for it and have experienced the same audio dropouts that others here have. I emailed support@coastaletech.com and Carlos called me back. He told me he was unaware of any audio dropout issues so I emailed him a link to this thread so he could see that others even mentioned they talked to Carlos about this problem. I asked for him to send me a new one and I would send mine back so they could see the problem. He said the best he could do was to try to troubleshoot it over the phone so I called the company at 1 800-507-2234 and talked to Brent. He was not willing to do anything for me even after I explained to him that I have been having this problem since day 1.

Obviously, I'm not the only one to be having audio dropout issues so they are not being truthful when saying they know nothing about this problem. Also, they are not helpful at all when you have a problem, they simply say they are unaware of the issue.

Not a company I would recommend buying anything from based on the way I have been treated and others here have been treated.

BUYER BEWARE WHEN DEALING WITH COASTAL TECH!

• 2 weeks later...