2011 u-connect voice command with bluetooth - part only!

I just bought my SE Plus on Monday 31st January. Bought one off the lot as they could not find exactly what I wanted, so they said they'd install the $300 option of voice command to go with the already installed 4.3 touch screen. I am now being told that if they can't get the part in "within the next couple months" (!!!) they'd look at what else they could do for me. I would not have bought the car if I had known this, as I wasn't in a rush - I would have ordered it.

Anyone have any idea if the 2011 u-connect connections are same as the 2009-2010 for the Journey? If so, then the part should be easy to get. If not, why can they not just order from Chrysler? If they have them to put in at teh factory, why can they not ship to the dealership for install?

But other than this - the 2011 is a HUGE improvement over the 2009 (I traded in my SE Plus with 3rd row seating). Much more comfortable seats, smoother dash, tho less storage, and SO much better suspension, tho it is a tad "bouncy" but not the side to side wishy washy of the 2009.

• 4 weeks later...

I just bought my SE Plus on Monday 31st January. Bought one off the lot as they could not find exactly what I wanted, so they said they'd install the $300 option of voice command to go with the already installed 4.3 touch screen. I am now being told that if they can't get the part in "within the next couple months" (!!!) they'd look at what else they could do for me. I would not have bought the car if I had known this, as I wasn't in a rush - I would have ordered it.

Anyone have any idea if the 2011 u-connect connections are same as the 2009-2010 for the Journey? If so, then the part should be easy to get. If not, why can they not just order from Chrysler? If they have them to put in at teh factory, why can they not ship to the dealership for install?

But other than this - the 2011 is a HUGE improvement over the 2009 (I traded in my SE Plus with 3rd row seating). Much more comfortable seats, smoother dash, tho less storage, and SO much better suspension, tho it is a tad "bouncy" but not the side to side wishy washy of the 2009.

I have a very similar question. We just bought a 2011 Journey Mainstream thinking that it had the hands free bluetooth option with the 8.4 Uconnect Touch screen only to be suprised at home that it does not. We are not sure what to do. Return the car or hope that Chrysler comes out with the add on soon and have it dealer installed? What would you do? I know I have very limited time to make a decision. I spoke with the dealership and they said come back monday.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here but we knew before we left the dealer. They are susposed to ordering the part and installing. I will post back with details when the work is done.

Please do. I talked with 2 service managers from 2 dealerships and both said that the parts are not yet available but should be in a few months. Make sure that your guy is not ordering the wifi device that is out. It is not the uconnect that allows hands free phone.

They did say it would be a couple weeks which could be a couple months!! They are to order the part that goes on the spoke of the steering wheel and some module. I will report back one way or another.

So I did some more research and saw this at mopar.com: Mopar Catalog - 2011 - Dodge - Journey

MODULE, Telematics

It says it is the uconnect with voice command and it around $400. However, the switch is n/a yet. I called my local parts dept and they were unsure if that was the part or not or even what this module did. Its so new, that none of the 4 part departments I called had any clue.

I am wondering if anyone has a direct number to Chrysler to find out when/if this part will become available. Had I know this, I would have bought the crew.

Most of the sales guys are under the impression that the bluetooth comes with the 8.4n!!!! I live too far from my dealer to try it myself so I had my salesman go attempt to pair his phone with an R/T on the lot. He was quite suprised that the bluetooth was a seperate option. I was special ordering so it is coming with.

There is no way that they should have made this an option! It is 2011!! Bluetooth needs to be standard!!

Most of the sales guys are under the impression that the bluetooth comes with the 8.4n!!!! I live too far from my dealer to try it myself so I had my salesman go attempt to pair his phone with an R/T on the lot. He was quite suprised that the bluetooth was a seperate option. I was special ordering so it is coming with. There is no way that they should have made this an option! It is 2011!! Bluetooth needs to be standard!!

This is just my opinion and as such take it or leave it. ;) Personally I think getting a 2010 was much easier to order. Maybe it's because I have an R/T with every available option. I agree with SaskGuy in todays world the bluetooth should be standard.

On another note where abouts are you SaskGuy? I am in Regina but my Jouney was bought in Indian Head.

Terry

Most of the sales guys are under the impression that the bluetooth comes with the 8.4n!!!! I live too far from my dealer to try it myself so I had my salesman go attempt to pair his phone with an R/T on the lot. He was quite suprised that the bluetooth was a seperate option. I was special ordering so it is coming with.

There is no way that they should have made this an option! It is 2011!! Bluetooth needs to be standard!!

We went through the same thing. Our confusion started when the 8.4 screen booted up and said U-Connect so we were thinking it had Bluetooth until we tried a couple cell phones. The sales manager got on the computer and found out what you found. We haven't heard back from the dealer yet. I’ll let everyone know what happens. We are supposed to get whatever it is for cost and free install....we will see.

This is just my opinion and as such take it or leave it. ;) Personally I think getting a 2010 was much easier to order. Maybe it's because I have an R/T with every available option. I agree with SaskGuy in todays world the bluetooth should be standard.

On another note where abouts are you SaskGuy? I am in Regina but my Jouney was bought in Indian Head.

Terry

Terry,

I am from Luseland. A small town about 2 hours west of Saskatoon, 30 Miles from Albert Border.

I was just "building" a LUX on the US site... It says that the 8.4Nav comes with voice command with bluetooth. In Canada, it is a $300 option, no matter what trim level you get.

I would have bought the RT off the lot, but my wife did not want a sunroof, I did not want the plastic chrome wheels, and they hadnt ordered it with the bluetooth...

So, I guess I just have to wait IMPATIENTLY.....:banghead:

The Canada Sales brochure says voice command w/ bluetooth comes standard with the 8.4N (Nav ADD-ON)...it should, being the top of the line media centre/radio system.

I ordered my '11 R/T with the 8.4N...I'll let you know what I find when its delivered within the next 2 weeks.

However I did just check the spec list for my car, which is on the dealer inventory website, and under Options it does say 'wireless connectivity'.

I wouldn't trust what the dodge.ca website says...its full of errors and discrepancies, including the 'Build & Price' section. I don't think they've got it set up to recognize that if you add the Nav option, you don't need to click on the $300 Voice command package as well because the bluetooth is already included with Nav. I think that $300 option is there for people who don't pony up for Nav.

Edited by Geer

I have been to several dealerships in the Toronto area over the past few months. Not one of the R/T models that had Nav also had the 2 voice command buttons on the steering wheel if the $300 Uconnect voice command with Bluetooth option wasn't on the window sticker.

I know the brochure seems to indicate that this option comes automatically if you get the Nav option but that simply has not been the case on any of the units I've seen and I have seen a lot of them.

As others have said, the bluetooth option should simply be a standard feature across all trim levels. It is 2011 for God's sake!

I have been to several dealerships in the Toronto area over the past few months. Not one of the R/T models that had Nav also had the 2 voice command buttons on the steering wheel if the $300 Uconnect voice command with Bluetooth option wasn't on the window sticker.

I know the brochure seems to indicate that this option comes automatically if you get the Nav option but that simply has not been the case on any of the units I've seen and I have seen a lot of them.

As others have said, the bluetooth option should simply be a standard feature across all trim levels. It is 2011 for God's sake!

I did the same too ... Went to 15 different dealer sites around the metro Detroit area and none of them had the buttons on the steering wheel. I think it is a big blunder on the mfg's part. The big question is will the release the module and button as an add on. Plus I am sure you will need to update the software on the 8.4.

Are there any parts guys out there that can call chiseler and get a good answer as too when?

I did the same too ... Went to 15 different dealer sites around the metro Detroit area and none of them had the buttons on the steering wheel. I think it is a big blunder on the mfg's part. The big question is will the release the module and button as an add on. Plus I am sure you will need to update the software on the 8.4.

Are there any parts guys out there that can call chiseler and get a good answer as too when?

Well that's crappy, if mine doesn't show up with it, I'll definitely make a fuss and let Chrysler know I'm not happy!

I was told my journey would come equipped with u connect phone, as it was the only feature I asked for specifically. Even as I was walking out the salesman said " ya just push the button and away you go" well being in a hurry and excited about the new vehicle. I didn't notice it wasn't there till I got half way home. Called the salesman , said he'd look into it.

After 3 days of hearing from noone, I stormed into the dealership demanding to know what the hell was going on.

They gave me the run around, I was there for 3 hours. After talking to the salesman, parts dept manager, assit. dealer manager ( making it very clear that I was not happy with any of their reasons) they had me sit with the dealership manager. I sat there and listened to the same excuses. We discussed exchanging the vehicle ( but to much of a hassle ) He offered me a Garmin gps with bluetooth capability ( which I gladly accepted) and told me as soon as the parts became available they would install it at there cost. ( I had him write that on the original bill of sale ) I have tried searching for the part on every dodge parts webpage available and have not yet found any ( or any parts for 2011 for that matter)

So I guess we sit tight and wait for now. I'm actually worried about them tearing the vehicle apart when it does come in, doesn't look like an easy install.

I've posted the original e-mails that were sent between me and parts dept. manager.

Dear

I just wanted to pass on the information that we have received from that email inquiry that was sent regarding u-connect kits. Chrysler has sent this reply to us.

“u connect for this vehicle has yet to be offered and there is not an ETA. Check the website from time to time to see if a kit has been released.”

So, as soon as one of these kits becomes available, we will definitely let you know.

To which I replied:

It's not the answer I was hoping to hear. I Thank-you for your time and effort. regarding this issue and hope it gets resolved a.s.a.p. I also have someone looking into this matter and will keep you informed.

To which he replied:

It's not the answer I wanted to hear either. You don't need to thank me. It's my job to help you out to the best of my abilities. I understand your frustration on this matter. Just know that we are working to resolve this matter for you ASAP

• 3 weeks later...

This really sucks!! My 2008 Grand Caravan at least had the Uconnect phone. The salesman told me that the R/T is the top-of-the-line model.My Journey has leather seating, sunroof, keyless entry, and the 8.4N, but no phone connectivity! i called the Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep Information Center and she told me that the 8.4N has the Uconnect phone capability. But my dealership says it is an add-on that will cost me an extra $300 - $400.

In Canada, Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth is optional on ALL 2011 Journey models. It is available as a standalone $300 option or also as part of navigation and sound groups on the SXT and Crew models. Even getting the 8.4N radio does not give you Bluetooth unless it is added separately. I have seen a number of R/T models at dealerships that had Nav but not Bluetooth.

It is truly mind boggling that something as common as Bluetooth is not standard on all Journey models.

Just curious if you have u connect phone DRB and how well does it work? I've heard it isn't really that clear, lots of background noise.

I just thought I would make a comment about the 2010 Bluetooth.

While I realize the 2011 may be different, I don't know, but I have a fully loaded 2010 Journey R/T and my bluetooth works very well. In fact people tell me that it is clearer than me just talking into my Blackberry Storm. It also is very clear on the inside of the car when listening to someone. The VC works very well which is good because in this province it is a $250 ticket for using your cell phone while driving.

Terry

Just curious if you have u connect phone DRB and how well does it work? I've heard it isn't really that clear, lots of background noise.

Yes, I have the Uconnect Voice Command w/Bluetooth option. It came as part of the Navigation and Sound Group I in my Crew.

Honestly, the phone part works extremely well. I can talk at a normal voice level and people can hear me with no problem. Likely partly due to how quiet the Journey interior is. My daughters were with me one day and we called my wife at home. She had no problem hearing them and they were in the second row seats talking at a normal level. The phone functionality is one part of the system that has functioned really well for me.

I have the full UConnect system with Bluetooth on my 2011 Lux, and it paired up and works actually fairly well with both my phone and my wife's phone.

It pulled the contact list from the phone and displays it on the Journey's screen. Voice commands (i.e. "Call Home") seem to work fine. Sound quality is good - they come out of the car's speakers, and I think the mic is up in/around the rearview mirror. I'm told I sound ok when talking from the driver's seat. <shrug>