2011 u-connect voice command with bluetooth - part only!

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear some people are having problems with the Bluetooth and voice command option. I just recently bought a Journey R/T with the 8.4. I also had success pairing 3 bluetooth phones, and have to agree that the sound qualitly making a call is great and must be due to how quiet the Journey is. Just to add something I did not know, when I paired my phone, it also gave me access to my phones media. If I choose bluetooth as a media source, the touch screen or steering wheel controls the phones media player.

Hope those having problems get the issues fix. Enjoy your Journey.

• 1 month later...

This whole problem comes from the fact that they started calling the radios Uconnect, a term that for years has referred to the Bluetooth system itself. The dealers I spoke with told me they didn't realize until the 2011's started showing up with no control buttons on the steering wheel.

• 4 months later...

I was wondering if you ever gotten your issue resolve with the dealership.

No not yet. We have a friend that works the service desk at the dealership and she told me last week that she checked again and was told maybe February 2012. In the meantime we have a Bluetooth ear piece coming from Amazon and we will see how that works. I believe some of the run around here is the part never existed in the manuals (fishes) so the parts guys were at a lost. Until cooperate issues new diagrams with the part number for the kit they don't even know what to look up. I also wonder\question if this will ever get resolved. We have the 8.3 screen and the Infinity stereo so I doubt that just adding the steering wheel buttons will resolve the issue. My dealer verbally told us that he would do it at "cost". I'm thinking that unless Dodge steps up to the plate on this one (fixed small charge) I may not want to spend whatever the cost may end up being.

This is my wife's car and she doesn’t really like it. For her this Bluetooth thing is a big issue it has been in the shop 4 times and one of those was for 7 days after the car quit on the interstate. You know the old saying "A happy wife is happy life"

This whole problem comes from the fact that they started calling the radios Uconnect, a term that for years has referred to the Bluetooth system itself. The dealers I spoke with told me they didn't realize until the 2011's started showing up with no control buttons on the steering wheel.

Yep, that's what happened here too. When we went to buy back in April, not a single dealer in the city had a Journey on their lot with the Bluetooth. Since that was also right around the time of the Japan earthquake as well, we didn't want to special order one because half the colour choices weren't available. So, we've got a fully loaded R/T except for VC.

No not yet. We have a friend that works the service desk at the dealership and she told me last week that she checked again and was told maybe February 2012. In the meantime we have a Bluetooth ear piece coming from Amazon and we will see how that works. I believe some of the run around here is the part never existed in the manuals (fishes) so the parts guys were at a lost. Until cooperate issues new diagrams with the part number for the kit they don't even know what to look up. I also wonder\question if this will ever get resolved. We have the 8.3 screen and the Infinity stereo so I doubt that just adding the steering wheel buttons will resolve the issue. My dealer verbally told us that he would do it at "cost". I'm thinking that unless Dodge steps up to the plate on this one (fixed small charge) I may not want to spend whatever the cost may end up being.

This is my wife's car and she doesn’t really like it. For her this Bluetooth thing is a big issue it has been in the shop 4 times and one of those was for 7 days after the car quit on the interstate. You know the old saying "A happy wife is happy life"

I have the some concerns or questions, if it will ever will be resolved. The sad part it was included in my sale price and the dealership is suppose to upgrade my system with no cost to me, when available. I am just waiting for the dealership to get the part number. But it makes me wonder if my radio will inter change with the steering wheel buttons. I have the 4.3S radio and it doesn't have Bluetooth. I can't seem to find anyone that really knows how to fix the issues. The more I research having trouble finding something to filter though my speakers system. I purchased a separate Garmin GPS system with hands free Bluetooth with voice commands, but it would sound louder and clearer if could go though the audio system, instead of the GPS itself.

Scosche has a Bluetooth device that is intended to plug into the auxiliary input of a car's stereo system. It has excellent noise immunity and it supports both a plugged in (auxiliary) device as a music source (the BTAXS will additionally accept ad2p Stereo Bluetooth feeds - works great wit my Blackberry, though of course there's no remote control when using it that way) and automatically switch between them when the Bluetooth is enabled.

Check out the BTAXM and BTAXS.

The only real problem is that I find the cables to be a bit short for my taste - and of course, if you are listening to the radio you need to manually switch to the aux input to use the device.

Edited by bramfrank

I've been using the Motorola Roadster and it's worked very well... The battery in it lasts a couple weeks of standby time, and the best part is that you don't have to turn it on and off. It automatically turns on when it senses motion (door opening/closing), and then when you leave, it turns off after it loses bluetooth connection with your phone. The other great thing for owners of the iPhone 4S, it also allows you to control Siri directly from the unit, so you can tell it to read you text messages, send text messages, etc.

I've been using the Motorola Roadster and it's worked very well... The battery in it lasts a couple weeks of standby time, and the best part is that you don't have to turn it on and off. It automatically turns on when it senses motion (door opening/closing), and then when you leave, it turns off after it loses bluetooth connection with your phone. The other great thing for owners of the iPhone 4S, it also allows you to control Siri directly from the unit, so you can tell it to read you text messages, send text messages, etc.

I have a iPhone 3, will Motoral Roadster work if I plug into my radio system. My 4.3S radio system doesn't have the Bluetooth. I want something that will filter though my stero system.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have the LUX 2011 model with the 8.4Nav and Voice Recognition and Handsfree uconnect phone system. THe sound is clear from both sides. But I have issues with the USB and SD card readers. THey are very picky as to what types of files and how the files are written to the drives including kb/sec. Pretty ridiculous. I had a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL with the sync system that worked awesome, never had to repeat voice commands, could jump from artist to artist without a problem just by saying it to the car. Dodge needs to take some lessons from them to get this technology working right. I like all the bells and whistles in my car, but if they don't woek right then thats a waste of my money, and frustrating as $%&^.

• 1 month later...

I just bought my SE Plus on Monday 31st January. Bought one off the lot as they could not find exactly what I wanted, so they said they'd install the $300 option of voice command to go with the already installed 4.3 touch screen. I am now being told that if they can't get the part in "within the next couple months" (!!!) they'd look at what else they could do for me. I would not have bought the car if I had known this, as I wasn't in a rush - I would have ordered it.

Anyone have any idea if the 2011 u-connect connections are same as the 2009-2010 for the Journey? If so, then the part should be easy to get. If not, why can they not just order from Chrysler? If they have them to put in at teh factory, why can they not ship to the dealership for install?

But other than this - the 2011 is a HUGE improvement over the 2009 (I traded in my SE Plus with 3rd row seating). Much more comfortable seats, smoother dash, tho less storage, and SO much better suspension, tho it is a tad "bouncy" but not the side to side wishy washy of the 2009.

Just an update to my original starting post on this topic - I am 20 days away from 1 year with my 2011 Journey and still no bluetooth. The dealership tells me they keep checking with Mopar for the new part but it is not yet in the system (as of end of Nov 2011). We are now into 2012 model year, with them being shipped with it. Needless to say I am beyond upset about this, but as it would cost me several hundred dollars more than the $300 I paid at purchase, I will just have to wait. I am putting faith that what I have purchased is identical to what is being installed in factory - not a stupid remote stuck onto my steering wheel with double sided tape and the mic clipped to my visor. Anyone else have any updates>> 2011 Journey bluetooth handsfree uconnect with the 4.3 screen. Other than that - still loving the car. Such an improvement over 2009

I just bought my SE Plus on Monday 31st January. Bought one off the lot as they could not find exactly what I wanted, so they said they'd install the $300 option of voice command to go with the already installed 4.3 touch screen. I am now being told that if they can't get the part in "within the next couple months" (!!!) they'd look at what else they could do for me. I would not have bought the car if I had known this, as I wasn't in a rush - I would have ordered it.

Anyone have any idea if the 2011 u-connect connections are same as the 2009-2010 for the Journey? If so, then the part should be easy to get. If not, why can they not just order from Chrysler? If they have them to put in at teh factory, why can they not ship to the dealership for install?

But other than this - the 2011 is a HUGE improvement over the 2009 (I traded in my SE Plus with 3rd row seating). Much more comfortable seats, smoother dash, tho less storage, and SO much better suspension, tho it is a tad "bouncy" but not the side to side wishy washy of the 2009.

Just an update to my original starting post on this topic - I am 20 days away from 1 year with my 2011 Journey and still no bluetooth. The dealership tells me they keep checking with Mopar for the new part but it is not yet in the system (as of end of Nov 2011). We are now into 2012 model year, with them being shipped with it. Needless to say I am beyond upset about this, but as it would cost me several hundred dollars more than the $300 I paid at purchase, I will just have to wait. I am putting faith that what I have purchased is identical to what is being installed in factory - not a stupid remote stuck onto my steering wheel with double sided tape and the mic clipped to my visor. Anyone else have any updates>> 2011 Journey bluetooth handsfree uconnect with the 4.3 screen. Other than that - still loving the car. Such an improvement over 2009

• 3 weeks later...

I received the following email from my dealer today... NOt sure exactly what this means yet, but will post once I hear back...

Hi Morgan:

I should finally have a blue tooth connectivity option for your consideration in the next couple of weeks. It is just one component of a system that has been designed for the 8.4” screen used by Dodge. I saw an iphone video of an installation this week. Right now our installer is just waiting for version 2 to be released. My understanding is you buy the base package and then add the options you want such as phone and internet etc. I’m a bit short on details right now but I’ll let you know when I have more information.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, Here we are, exactly one year later and still no bluetooth parts in site! I think it's time we all rise up and do something about this situation.

We have sat here quietly, patiently waiting for this part to arrive and still after one year there is not one salesman, parts manager or dealer who knows who,what,where and when they will arrive. Is it that difficult a question to answer!? Perhaps we should all contact the president ourselves, or better yet, use media sites in order to get our message across!

We could start by posting it on you tube, But perhaps an even better idea would be to collect the names of journey purchasers with this same issue from around the globe and present it to a local news channel. The message would be brodcast alot louder and clearer this way!

Edited by geurny2011

It is a good news bad news story here. Just got off the phone with the dealer. The parts are now available to get the voice activated bluetooth option in my 2011 R/T with 8.4 Uconnect.

The $300 option at purchase is now $701 for the module to go inside the dash, $100+ for the buttons on the wheel and five hours to install. The GD $300 option is now going to cost $1,300+ to get it installed. I have the build sheet for my Journey and I have the right mirror with microphones built in, I have all the harnesses to do the install and it is still going to cost $1,300 plus to have what should be as basic at the steering wheel.

I love the vehicle but I am really pissed at this deveopment.

Only saying !!!!!!!!

I am sorry I don't. I heard from the dealer today and with some discounts on parts and labour they got the price down to $1,100. Still way too much for the option,

What I do know is that the parts have to be purchased separately. The module that goes up under the steering column is $701 and the insert on the wheel is apx $100 and about 5 hours labour. I am told that if the manufacturer puts it in a kit, the price could drop by as much as 50%. I am at a loss to figure this one out.

Needless to say I will stick with my $100 Motorola Roadster for now. It works well but not the same as it would if it was integrated into the vehicle sound system.

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry I don't. I heard from the dealer today and with some discounts on parts and labour they got the price down to $1,100. Still way too much for the option,

What I do know is that the parts have to be purchased separately. The module that goes up under the steering column is $701 and the insert on the wheel is apx $100 and about 5 hours labour. I am told that if the manufacturer puts it in a kit, the price could drop by as much as 50%. I am at a loss to figure this one out.

Needless to say I will stick with my $100 Motorola Roadster for now. It works well but not the same as it would if it was integrated into the vehicle sound system.

Well this ended up where I thought it would...very expensive. My wife dislikes this car so much I don't see here wanting to spend 1100 bucks. I t will be interesting to see if anybody actually does the conversion.

I just came across this today, not sure whether it's an American or Canadian website but either way it looks as if the radio is available.

http://www.mopar.com...1995162&b=dodge

P.s. Armendegga , did you ever here back from your salesman?

Found this Mopar Dealer newsletter as well. See the last page: http://starparts.chrysler.com/newsletters/newsletter.pdf