Dear Forum, HELP

My car is overheating. Here is a list of things I’ve done and some facts as well.

WHAT I HAVE DONE

1.       Flushed the system twice once with Prestone radiator cleaner and once with blue devil flush. I left both in the vehicle at different times and drove for 2 days on and off.

2.       Replaced the Thermostat

3.       Put a garden hose on one of the inlets to the heater core and ran water through the whole system. It flows really well and it appears to not be clogged at all.

4.       Put a garden hose on the hoses that come out of the reserve tank(the tank where you put the water and coolant) and ran water through the whole system. It flows really well and it appears to not be clogged at all

5.       Prayed, Cursed and cursed some more

FACTS

1.       120,000 miles on the car

2.       I don’t have heat on the passenger side

3.       It seems to overheat on hills mostly

4.       I checked to see if the tank where you fill the coolant bubbles when revving the engine and it does. It bubbles and goes up and down a bit.  I did this a s a test for the water pump.

5.       The fan pops on as soon as it gets hot as far as I can tell. When I stop the car the fan is on full blast.

6.       No water in the oil or oil in the water

If anyone has any advice on what it can be given the facts etc please reach out to me. I’m thinking maybe its the water pump but id hate to go through all that and that’s not it. Any links to how and replace water pump if that’s what you think it may be will be greatly appreciated

21 hours ago, 2017Dodgejourneyconfused said:

Dear Forum, HELP

My car is overheating. Here is a list of things I’ve done and some facts as well.

WHAT I HAVE DONE

1.       Flushed the system twice once with Prestone radiator cleaner and once with blue devil flush. I left both in the vehicle at different times and drove for 2 days on and off.

2.       Replaced the Thermostat

3.       Put a garden hose on one of the inlets to the heater core and ran water through the whole system. It flows really well and it appears to not be clogged at all.

4.       Put a garden hose on the hoses that come out of the reserve tank(the tank where you put the water and coolant) and ran water through the whole system. It flows really well and it appears to not be clogged at all

5.       Prayed, Cursed and cursed some more

FACTS

1.       120,000 miles on the car

2.       I don’t have heat on the passenger side

3.       It seems to overheat on hills mostly

4.       I checked to see if the tank where you fill the coolant bubbles when revving the engine and it does. It bubbles and goes up and down a bit.  I did this a s a test for the water pump.

5.       The fan pops on as soon as it gets hot as far as I can tell. When I stop the car the fan is on full blast.

6.       No water in the oil or oil in the water

If anyone has any advice on what it can be given the facts etc please reach out to me. I’m thinking maybe its the water pump but id hate to go through all that and that’s not it. Any links to how and replace water pump if that’s what you think it may be will be greatly appreciated

if you have flushed it twice and as well trying to flush out the heater core  still no heat on the passenger side  the heater core is a dual zone core ,it will bypass the plugged side for the passenger side ,probally need a new heater core installed, also check the blend doors on the passanger side to see if they are activating as well, you will want to  check out youtube for the shortcut on installing one...the water pump might be going bad since you have done all that you have said you have completed hard to give advise without the journey being checked out by a qualified mechanic, you can keep guessing on what to do or have it checked out before you overheat it and ruin the engine

• jkeaton locked and unlocked this topic

Hey!

I have an overheating issue with my 2015 journey toi.

The other day, coming back from slc to Park city (1000m of uphill) the coolant température goes up to 240°F! 

I Saw the coolant boiling all over the réservoir when i stoped...

I send it to the mecanich garage closed to me and he says that the reservoir is cracked... I find it weird. I don't have any leak under the car. 

The liquid was orange (instead of yellow?) Has it already changed?? So i decided to Make a flush. After that, the température did'nt go so high and i have never seen the coolant boil again.

But Yesterday, coming from slc, fairly sustain speed and AC on, temperature almost at 240...

Fan wrorks and the system is not stuck i think because the flush did well.

the big hose going to the radiator is hot when the car is hot. i don't think it is the thermostat.

May be this temperature is normal?

Edited by clément

The works. It starts around 112°f. If it works, it means the thermostat works too doesn't it?

How Can i be sure that there is no air in the system ?

When i made the flush, i let the water overflows out the little screw. 

Violet?? Is it really important ? Can you let me know the brand or the good coolant i need to use ?

there are a lot of brands that say they are compatible with mopar systems,that said since you dont know what your machine used, i would if you have already replaced the thermostat is to flush it again and then use mopar coolant which will cost you twice of what the reg brands cost you... reg temp on a 3.6 should be around 100-106 at operating temp and around 112-115 driving on regular roads even during hot temperature, i have never seen mine over 118 at the most even in Alabama  temps,,,now of course if you are going up mountain highways then yes it could go higher but i am not privy to what the max would be there....  sounds like you are having a restriction on flow of your coolant upon acceleration or slight hills.......HAVE you REPLACED the thermostat?????????????

25 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

..100-106 at operating temp and around 112-115 driving on regular roads even during hot temperature, i have never seen mine over 118 ...

I Hope you are talking in Celcius...:gaah:

If yes, this is exactly the same of mines! And you seems to say that they are normal. Right?

I haven't changed the thermostat...

Edited by clément

4 hours ago, clément said:

I Hope you are talking in Celcius...:gaah:

If yes, this is exactly the same of mines! And you seems to say that they are normal. Right?

I haven't changed the thermostat...

last post from me on this as you dont sound serious but no i live in Alabama which is in the southern part of the U.S,and  am talking fahrenheit so no the numbers you are talking about are way to high, i urge you to have your journey checked by the dodge dealership as they are QUALIFIED to work on it before you overheat your engine 

sorry I'm French and the conversion is not necessarily easy for me.

you are telling me about a normal operating temperature of 106°f. that's the temperature of my car when I start in the morning and the outside temperature is 30°f...

I don't see why I wouldn't be serious. I bought this car I don't want to break it

So, 106°f can't be a reg temperature...

Edited by clément

2 hours ago, clément said:

my typing sucks and so does my vision, yes around 70-90 degree weather temps ,206 normal operating temp  after being warmed up with 211- 215  normal driving on freeway and in town and 218 has been my highest temp i have ever seen in my 2014,I also just replaced my thermostat last yr as well with mopar coolant...sorry for my mistake on the temps all in fahrenheit readings

no pb!;)

just now i was driving slowly for couple of minutes. and when i parked, the coolant boiled all over the reservoir! :rant2: the temperature was at 205 only!!!

i talked with a guy who think my cap is dead and i should replace it... he pointed out to me that I had not put the recommended amount of liquid in the circuit. It's write 3.6 gallon in the user manual. yet I heated the car after having done a first full cold, then complete the missing. 3.6 seems to be huge!

The temperature goes up when i'm stoped. When i am on the motorway, go to 6000 rpm on each Gear, the temperature is at 206 max...

i will replace the thermostat, the reservoir with the cap, put the mopar collant and see...

Edited by clément

13 hours ago, clément said:

The car runs really well, it's really when I stop that it starts to heat up. This morning I noticed water vapor coming from down of thé engine. I think a hose. is it porous?...

Nobody else for an advice?... I'm desapointed... ?

An Update to my dilema.

I bypassd the heater core because I thought perhaps that was clogged. It is still over heating. I noticed the fat hose that leads to the themostat is ice cold even as the car starts to over heat. Anybody have any new ideas of what it might be. I replaced the water pump and put a new serpentine belt. 

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my question , greatly apprciated.

Bob

11 minutes ago, 2017Dodgejourneyconfused said:

An Update to my dilema.

I bypassd the heater core because I thought perhaps that was clogged. It is still over heating. I noticed the fat hose that leads to the themostat is ice cold even as the car starts to over heat. Anybody have any new ideas of what it might be. I replaced the water pump and put a new serpentine belt. 

Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my question , greatly apprciated.

Bob

Did you try a new cap for the overflow tank?

NO HEAT on pass. side either indicates a plugged heater core OR air entrapment in the heater core. If I understand correctly this "no heat" observation was BERFORE bypassing the heater core?

Also does the vehicle have REAR a/c and heat? most all three row seating models have it and if badly overheated can also entrap air and is a bugger to purge out.