2016 Journey non-working passenger headlight

Woke up this morning to discover passenger headlight was out. After watching many 'how to' videos I picked up the correct replacement bulb at my local auto parts store. I replaced it right there in the parking lot. Woohoo! my first 'powder-puff' mechanic work since high school. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I tried another bulb without success. I took it to my son in law who checked out my work, the fuse and it was ok, and hooked up some device to check if it had power. He said it was registering an 8 (not sure what that means) and recommended I take it to a dealership. Now, I am on my own, on a budget and cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars to a mechanic. Any suggestions on how I might fix this problem?

Welcome to the forum. If son in law used meter properly, you might only have 8 volts to run a 12 volt bulb. Bad connection some where that needs tracing. Can be time consuming.  But not always, does plug on bulb have good tight connections ?

Led bulbs have a tendency to flash if not used with a load resister. They do use less current (amperage) but still need 12 volts of power to function properly.  Can  create other issues and waste money. LED’s not cheap to buy.

If there is a an automotive electrical place you can find, they are better than typical mechanics on this type of problem.  Will find problem much quicker. Often they advertise as installing remote starters, alarm systems, stereos etc. 

i havent had any problems with my led headlight bulbs flashing as long as you the ones that are cannabis compatible and to be honest i havent paid  more than $40. for either of my 2 sets of LOW BEAM BULBS,,,do NOT use led for your high beam bulb..most regular bulbs are getting expensive as well....just wondering if she got the right bulb for the right spot

If your smoking cannabis…they’re all compatible. CANBUS auto wire harness design/communications. She is concerned with cost of repair, led can be a pain sometimes, depending on brand of bulb.  Incandescent bulbs maybe dull with slightly low voltage, but more likely to still work. 

She needs to play with the plug on the headlight a bit. Might only be loose connection or damaged wire.

Edited by John/Horace