There’s a few issues going on with my 11 Journey Crew currently. 

1. The car has an overheating issue, the engine temperature gauge likes to go from 1/2 to the line below 3/4 very often within 5 seconds. The fan will cut on (obviously because it’s past operating temps) but it constantly does this every 10-15 minutes of driving. The fan will stay on for a few seconds then will shut off because the car went back to normal. I replaced the thermostat, still occurs. 

2. I have a cabin heating issue, there’s no heat on passenger side or under the rear floor. Heat only comes through the two drivers vents and drivers defrost. The coolant isn’t low and the actuator seems to work fine when I change passenger temp. To also add, when I start the car you can noticeably hear fluid going through the system, you hear it move faster as gas is pressed if that has anything to do w anything. I have two Journeys and I’ve never experienced that so I’m curious. 

Any knowledge or help is taken. 

Sounds like air in cooling system. If 2.4 use the rad cap , to top up after it’s cooled down a few times.  If 3.6 use the bleeder screw on thermostat housing when the engine is cold. Just crack screw a bit, tighten after air stops coming out. Keep reservoir topped up. Bleed it a few times if needed. 
Fan coming on is saving aluminum engine from getting damage from over heating.

If air keeps coming back, get system pressure tested. 

Edited by John/Horace

17 hours ago, 2late4u said:

which eng do you have i am assuming the 3.6.   also how many miles?..after  you changed out the thermostat did you bleed the air out of the system?

I have the 3.6 at around 157k miles. I bled the system while running through the bleeder valve until bubbles were no longer visible. 

well replacing parts without knowing what's wrong can get expensive but i would replace the thermostat again and possible the temp sensors for the fan, or take it into a shop where they can check it out, yes it will cost you some money but will be a LOT cheaper than replacing your engine from overheating it

21 hours ago, 2late4u said:

well replacing parts without knowing what's wrong can get expensive but i would replace the thermostat again and possible the temp sensors for the fan, or take it into a shop where they can check it out, yes it will cost you some money but will be a LOT cheaper than replacing your engine from overheating it

But if it’s is a thermostat issue wouldn’t the car show a code for the car over heating? Not saying it isn’t but I’ve seems journeys show code for similar issues. I also did bleed the system again hot this time. Lots of air did leave, like I felt the eng. output hose literally bubbling from air in it. 

Thermostat constantly opens and closes to regulate engine temp.  Worn out or cheap stat could stick, but yeah cause high temp swings, but not add extra air to system. A  sealed  system usually bleeds out pretty quickly, heat needs to be run to bleed trapped air in heater core.  Some cars can be finicky to bleed, take a few tries like Journey often does.

Pressure test of system might show where air is getting in. Confirm it’s not holding pressure. Combustion gas analysis of glycol will show if it’s possibly cracked head (test kit is sold,by parts stores).  Although fresh glycol could interfere with test. Water pump seal, pinched thermostat housing seal,  cracked plastic part, bad rad seal, etc can also allow air in system.

5 hours ago, JustDodge said:

But if it’s is a thermostat issue wouldn’t the car show a code for the car over heating? Not saying it isn’t but I’ve seems journeys show code for similar issues. I also did bleed the system again hot this time. Lots of air did leave, like I felt the eng. output hose literally bubbling from air in it. 

did you have your heater turned on hot and high fan as well both systems if you have rear heat

On 12/31/2022 at 2:31 PM, John/Horace said:

Thermostat constantly opens and closes to regulate engine temp.  Worn out or cheap stat could stick, but yeah cause high temp swings, but not add extra air to system. A  sealed  system usually bleeds out pretty quickly, heat needs to be run to bleed trapped air in heater core.  Some cars can be finicky to bleed, take a few tries like Journey often does.

Pressure test of system might show where air is getting in. Confirm it’s not holding pressure. Combustion gas analysis of glycol will show if it’s possibly cracked head (test kit is sold,by parts stores).  Although fresh glycol could interfere with test. Water pump seal, pinched thermostat housing seal,  cracked plastic part, bad rad seal, etc can also allow air in system.

Yeah, just asking. But it must be something outside the thermostat because even before replacing it, I still had the same issue. That’s what made me replace it because I have two journeys with the other actually needing it due to over cooling the engine. So it was two in one thing but that obviously didn’t solve the issues I had with the other. I haven’t really drove it much since I last bled the system, so can’t give much of an update but I go back to regular commute tomorrow. I’ll update then