Weird sound, after cold starts, begin driving away

Ezpeezy15

Seeking some ideas to help me diagnose an odd sound I've been having.  2014 SXT, 3.6L, 137k.

So here's the scenario... only happens to me on cold starts, and always at the same time.   I start the car, reverse out the parking spot/driveway, shift into drive, and begin pulling away.   After about 10-20 feet of travel I hear a clunk.   Not like a suspension clunk.  It is more similar to what a compressor sounds like kicking on, or a valve opening or something.  But louder.

Outside air temp doesn't matter, but it only occurs on cold starts after the car has been sitting a while.

If I just idle away for a while after backing out, it just delays the sound.   Only happens if I am applying gas to accelerate away.   If I apply more gas, and accelerate faster, it just occurs sooner.  

It has been happening for months, but it seems to be louder now.  

Also, out of a weird bit of timing yesterday, I had taken my foot off the gas to begin braking when this sound occurred.  Just as I placed my foot on the brake, but before applying pressure, this sound occurred and I simultaneously felt a strong tap feeling through the brake pedal.

Any ideas?

Thank you all.

I think I have this same sound too.  '11 FWD R/T.  Only after sitting in the garage.  It's been making that sound ever since I can remember. (I bought the DJ new)   I can only hear it if the music is low or off and it only does it once.   I used to try to figure out what it was, thinking it was something going wrong.  If your sound is the same, I wouldn't worry about it.   Mine's been doing it consistently for so long, I'd worry if it stopped...   I have no idea what it is.  

Peace.

For BOTH.... Check the front motor mount for torn rubber, if bad you will get excessive engine rock(cold= higher rpm) and changing directions (reverse to neutral to drive) will accentuate the engine rock. Enough movement to have things like exhaust "tap" the underneath or similar.

Thank you all for the tips!   It's is a FWD.   I will check out the engine mounts, hadn't even considered that.   But it sounds very possible to be the ABS system check.   I'll do some more research and check back in if I find anything noteworthy.   Thanks again! 

Glad to hear that you concluded it to be from the ABS self testing. Our '11 AWD does not exhibit this concern. BUT I know the front mount is known to go bad(as with many same type FCA vehicles), ands a good thing to at least look at every now and then when under the car for servicing.

So was this "check" what motivated you to change the lower control arms?

• 4 weeks later...