My 2013 Journey is possessed!

I threw in the towel. I’d been trying to get it to start all morning with no luck. I called a mechanic I know who has exponentially more knowledge than my pitiful excuse for amateur knowledge, and he sent a tow truck. It’s now in the hands of the professionals. I will update when he’s done diagnosing the issue. 

• 2 months later...

I’ve waited to update this thread until I was sure it was “fixed”. It’s been running two months but I’m still not convinced. 
i sent it to my mechanic and he replaced several parts; rf module, fr module, and ignition module. Everything was fine for about a day. The next day it went back to being possessed, and ultimately back to the shop. 
This time he had me a new key made (the one I had was aftermarket and had its own issues) and cleaned up the connections to the fuse box under the hood and the ABS. He kept it a few more days after that to ensure it wouldn’t fail on me again. I got it back later that week and it has been running like a champ ever since. 
Long story short, I have no idea why it went berserk on me, but I will never jump off another car again!

• 1 month later...

Looks like I may have jinxed it. It started the possessed routine this morning after 4 months of being “ok”. It’s currently on the way to the shop but I noticed something curious. 

I started it this morning with no problem. I was letting it warm up for a few minutes. I noticed that when it started the SiriusXM channel list was updating. When I came back out about 10 minutes later, it was being possessed again. I stupidly turned the car off instead of driving it directly to the shop. 

I’m wondering if the SiriusXM update caused the programming to be “kicked”. That was the terminology my mechanic used last time, saying something “kicked” the programming. 

9 minutes ago, Brother_Dave said:

Looks like I may have jinxed it. It started the possessed routine this morning after 4 months of being “ok”. It’s currently on the way to the shop but I noticed something curious. 

I started it this morning with no problem. I was letting it warm up for a few minutes. I noticed that when it started the SiriusXM channel list was updating. When I came back out about 10 minutes later, it was being possessed again. I stupidly turned the car off instead of driving it directly to the shop. 

I’m wondering if the SiriusXM update caused the programming to be “kicked”. That was the terminology my mechanic used last time, saying something “kicked” the programming. 

Sorry to hear that. Is this the SAME possessed as original or just the radio function?

1 hour ago, Locosiete said:

Not sure this has been mentioned but have you checked the ground? A bad ground can create allot of gremlins but still be enough to start. Especially if you live in the rust belt.

My mechanic checked the ground the last time it was giving me this problem. Said it was fine. 

From my personal experience with our '11 DJ. I found that a LOT of functions run thru the radio/CD player module. I wonder if yours may have been "zapped" from the previous happening. My problem of dash not shutting down happened ONCE and then not again for a couple months, and then it did it all the time. May not be your exact circumstance, but the siriusXM  "updating" as problem happened made me want to offer this tidbit. Module should still be a plug and play change, but if you subscribe to XM(we don't) you may need to give them a call about the module being replaced to recognize the new(or used) module.

I've got quite a posting somewhere on here about the saga of checks I went thru.

1 hour ago, 5rebel9 said:

From my personal experience with our '11 DJ. I found that a LOT of functions run thru the radio/CD player module. I wonder if yours may have been "zapped" from the previous happening. My problem of dash not shutting down happened ONCE and then not again for a couple months, and then it did it all the time. May not be your exact circumstance, but the siriusXM  "updating" as problem happened made me want to offer this tidbit. Module should still be a plug and play change, but if you subscribe to XM(we don't) you may need to give them a call about the module being replaced to recognize the new(or used) module.

I've got quite a posting somewhere on here about the saga of checks I went thru.

This IS my theory, largely based on you posting your own issues back when this all

started in August. Still waiting to hear from my mechanic. I did a little internet “research” and am terrified of the prices I see for a replacement. Anywhere from $350 to $900. And that’s just the part. That doesn’t include the labor. 

Edited by Brother_Dave

• 2 months later...

Hi Brother Dave, What was the final verdict? I am experiencing this right now. Jumped a friends car the other day and this is exactly what I'm experiencing. How was this resolved for you? Thank you for your time and sorry of the experience

You’d think that by now I’d have a “final verdict” right? Sadly, this is not the case. We’re (my mechanic and myself) 99.99% sure the problem is in the ABS. The issue with that is, last I checked, they we’re on back order until at least April.  
I can’t say it was “resolved” exactly because I live in fear of it going out again. But, try disconnecting your ABS, tapping it (my mechanic’s words, I guess that means lightly hit it), and reconnecting it. 

• 11 months later...
On 2022-02-12 at 9:00 AM, Brother_Dave said:

You’d think that by now I’d have a “final verdict” right? Sadly, this is not the case. We’re (my mechanic and myself) 99.99% sure the problem is in the ABS. The issue with that is, last I checked, they we’re on back order until at least April.  
I can’t say it was “resolved” exactly because I live in fear of it going out again. But, try disconnecting your ABS, tapping it (my mechanic’s words, I guess that means lightly hit it), and reconnecting it. 

I'm having the same issue too... any resolution?