Service before road trip 2014 3.6 AWD (Diff, Tcase, Trans, Oil, Coolant, plugs, oil cooler leak...) and new tires

aviator79

So I will be driving my GFs 2014 Dodge Journey 3.6 AWD to Kitty Hawk, NC from top of CT.  So its not a huge road trip but will be far enough from home that if something goes wrong it will be a disaster.  And while I cannot predict something like Transmission pump failing I figure I could try to get fluids changed and go over vehicle best I can.  Vehicle has 112.5k miles.

Not sure if there is a fluids notes post for all fluids but I could not find any so going to try to make list of what I need here to help me track part numbers and stuff.

Oil:

5W-20

capacity 5.9qt

I use Rotella T6 in all my cars, dirt bkes, mowers...everything, however think going with Kirkland Kirkland Signature 5W-20 Full Synthetic $25 for 10qt. EDIT, store only had 5w30 for $27 (2.5 gallons). $33 online for 5w20 (2.5g).  So will have to see if another costco has the 5w20 in store or just use the 5w30 or order the 5w20 online as still good price and hear its decent oil.

Filter:

FIL 7526 (NAPA gold (WIX)) $7.99 NAPA (with 20% off deal)

Drain socket size: 17mm 

filter housing: 24mm

Transmission:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneALApzAd4

Filter:

68018555AA  $30 amazon

Gasket:

18757 (Fel-Pro) $15.43 NAPA (with 20% off deal)

Fluid

Capacity

5L

per amsoil:

6 speed 62TE Total Fill 9 quarts
5.5 quarts Initial Fill

assume they mean 5.5qt on refill so you are leaving 3.5qt old fluid in trans.

Was going to stick with OEM to keep simple but called dealer and they first asked for last 4 digits vin saying could have other than 62te transmission and that Chrysler does not make ATF and any GL4 would work which is not surprising just slightly surprised to here parts person say that.

So just going to go with Valvoline ATF +4

6qt  $31.74 NAPA (with 20% off deal)

pan bolts socket size: 8mm

Tcase/rear diff

75W-90

Capacity

PTO:  0.8 liters

rear diff: 0.6 liters

Amsoil SEVERE GEAR® 75W-90 (2qt required)

thread here used Mobil 1 LS 75W-90 synthetic

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/10963-ptu-fluid-change-diy/

Place I used to buy Amsoil does not sell anymore so went with Valvoline SynPower SAE 75W-90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil: $22.49 for 2 quarts AA with 25% off (code: RMN19).

Drain socket size: 10mm allen?

Diff procedure:

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/10338-changing-the-transfer-case-fluid-12-rt-awd/?do=findComment&comment=84496

Tcase procedure:

https://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/10338-changing-the-transfer-case-fluid-12-rt-awd/?do=findComment&comment=84497

Tires:

225/65R17

BFGoodrich - Advantage T/A Sport LT $671.88 installed (-$110 sale supposedly coming in September), but also could use alignment so going to get prices from local shop too and decide.

Spark plugs:

RER8ZWYCB4

Champion CHA9407 $6.74 each AA with 25% off (code: RMN19) = $40.45 for 6.

or

$7.19 for 4 NAPA (with 20% off deal) or same price on amazon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpHzy2WEEqM

Also car has oil leak so will try to figure out where coming from but suspect it is the oil cooler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3AyZnGw8xM

This video also shows how to remove IM very clearly. And think that can just remove two studs back DS from IM with internal torx (at ~21min to 22:36 on this video, and seems same is done around 1:40 above video). Will prevent having to remove bracket but we will see when get in there.

So picked up a set of MAHLE GS33683 seals to fix. $12 AA with 25% off (code: RMN19)

Obviously if it ends up being that the oil filter housing is cracked will have to replace: PN 68105583AG Looks close to $200 for AF version and IDK if AG is just different O-rings or what...~$100 for AM versions can get online or locally.  As much as want to have on hand think will wait and see.

Also need to do brake fluid and coolant flush, maybe PS flush...

Lastly:

2012 manual calls for HOAT coolant but 2014 calls for OAT.  Recommendations?

I will have to drain coolant to fix oil cooler leak so will have to figure out best coolant to use. Im normally picky about getting the right stuff and not mixing so not sure about buying generic.

Normally work on my car (MS6) and have been working on audi A4 B7s a lot but finally done with that.  So this will all be new to me. At least it is metric or I would be F#@%ed.  Working on getting garage cleaned and organized now so can start this next week. Most parts ordered. Come from good forums and have yet to explore here but seems like some good info so hope to add to maybe help others.

Thanks.

Edited by jkeaton
changed socket size.

Thanks for all of the specs. Are you saying you will be doing all of this work before your trip? Has she not been keeping up on the regular maintenance, which makes you need to do all of this work? Hopefully she appreciates all of this work (if you are doing it). If you're really nervous, I'd suggest going and renting a car for your trip - I do that every once in a while. 

In any case, good info... good luck on your trip. 

1 minute ago, Armando G said:

Thanks for all of the specs. Are you saying you will be doing all of this work before your trip? Has she not been keeping up on the regular maintenance, which makes you need to do all of this work? Hopefully she appreciates all of this work (if you are doing it). If you're really nervous, I'd suggest going and renting a car for your trip - I do that every once in a while. 

In any case, good info... good luck on your trip. 

I will be doing it all myself yes.

She does not keep on top of maintenance as she should but at 112k miles not too far off on some of this.  I dont know maintenance schedule but did download the operator manual and assume its all in there but these are things I would assume need done.

The car drives good so not too nervous but AAA only tows 100mi so anytime further away than that I want to try to make sure vehicle will make it fine. I had idea to rent but all that is available is cars...as they sold all vans/suvs and cant buy more...

I do not want to drive my car that far until do a lot more work to it so taking her car is best option.

The one issue that worried me is when reversing it has hesitation/slight bucking (to me feels like tires spinning but they are not) at low RPM but read that others experience this so not too worried. I read just low pressure in trans causes it as does go away when hit gas but then go too fast...

She appreciates it and that is big for me...but this is just what I do.

8 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

welcome to the group sounds like you are a real organised  person,, hope everything works out for you...all this lined up looks like a great weekend to get it done

I am not organized but want to be.  Leaving in 2 weeks so figured to get this done needed to do some research and I like to be on forums for when things go wrong to be able to ask for help.  But on that ya I need to put computer down and get back to reorganizing garage...hate not being able to find tools. And have had so many projects lately they are all scattered so doing full clean/reorg in garage now.  Just hope to keep it clean and organized from now on.

Appreciate replies and encouragement and will post more as I get into it.  Came from a forum that was great but would also bash those that didnt know what they were doing so did not want to post something asking to be spoon fed info. Found a lot of good info on here already.

If the glycol is orange, it's the newer oat glycol. There are aftermarket companies that make their version of Chysler OEM glycol.

As you know, stay with correct mix.

Drive the car locally for a few days before trip, after the work is done,  that's a lot of stuff to take apart. Scan for codes before starting your work. 

Oil cooler swap is messy, have lots of rags and cardboard around. I also changed plugs at the same time as cooler. Should use a set of lower intake manifold gaskets, don't want to have to take apart a second time.