Getting the blues with modern vehicles

Neto

You know, I get the blues reading all of the stuff on here (and on the Chrysler mini-van site - have one of those, too) about the issues many are facing.  It's mostly electronic stuff.  The connection to a cell phone, the electric window winders, or door locks.  The video players, etc.  Seems that's just about all there is anymore.  Makes me wonder when I will start having all of those issues with my 2009 Journey.....

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like a Wednesday built  Journey! ?.  

I will say I have had my fair share of psychotic electrical problems with newer cars. Some even under 3,000 miles! But so far the old trash wagon hasn’t done anything stupid so we’re good so far! 

Edging closer to 100,000 miles.  Will let you all know....  :hat_tip:

When does all this stuff typically start, anyway? 

My wife's dad was one to trade cars every few years, so she says something about it being time to get a different one every once in a while.  But I'm dragging my feet because she wants one from over the ocean next time, and I like to buy American.  [I'll admit, however, that I was taken aback when, just as I was signing for this one (back in 2010), I saw that it was not manufactured in the States.  But I don't hesitate to say that it's been a great vehicle for us.] (I come from a family where we drove them till they wouldn't go anymore, then put them in the back pasture, like an old horse going onto retirement.)

6 hours ago, Locosiete said:

Not too many vehicle are built in the USA anymore so can't really say American built is better quality. Heck some Hondas are built in USA but that's another story. 

From what i gathered it isn't so much by XXX miles this or that will fail but just luck of the draw regardless at 30k miles or 180k. So as mentioned if you haven't had it happen yet i would say your probably on the safe list 

There was a time when American built automobiles were better quality (with the exception of certain European vehicles that were not really mass-produced), but that's not really my reason.  This will get a bit into religion, but when the Jews were in exile in Babylon God told them (through the prophet Jeremiah) that while they were there in exile they should "build houses, have families, and seek the prosperity of whatever city in which they found themselves".  That was of course a message for them, in that time and in that situation, but I think that there is a principle behind it, that I, as a follower of the same God, seek to follow - to as much as possible (within loyalty to Him as first in everything) support the economic success of whatever country in which I live.  So when we lived in Brazil we had a Brazilian-made vehicle (not a Brazilian company, as there are none) and bought Brazilian products as much as possible.  Now that we live in the States, I try to do the same.  It is certainly getting more difficult, and in some cases (like computer parts) virtually impossible, so I won't argue that, and I don't slavishly hold to it; it is just an objective.

• 5 weeks later...

Well my wife rolled our 2009 Journey day before yesterday ......  to 100,000 miles, that is.  Everything is all still good after 10+ years of ownership.  (Bought it used.)

Have a chance to buy another Plymouth P15 (the 46 through early 49 models), this one built in late 48.  But I cannot afford to have two of them in my "stables" - already need to build a shop to get the 46 out of the main garage.  Anyway, this 48 has less than 14,000 miles on it, and although that sounds unbelievable, I think it's almost certainly correct.  (Unless someone periodically disconnected the odometer, or ran it back a bit.  But it's in way too good of shape for it to be the second time around.  Asking price is $7,800.00.)

5 hours ago, Locosiete said:

If mileage is correct I would say $7,800 sounds fair. I'd find make it fit within my stable, Granted i am a sucker for classic cars though. 

That's what I told him, too.  (I had told him up-front that I was not a serious buyer.  It was only later that I started REALLY wanting to go back for it, but I still hope it stays local, because it would be handy to have one to go look at from time to time when I wasn't sure how mine should go back together.  I bought my 46 as a "basket-case" in 1980, then dismantled it even more, to repaint the frame and repair the floor.  It has sat all that time since 83, when I moved away, got married, and moved overseas for 18 years.)

Wasn't a serious issue, but the funny thing about just having posted about not having issues with the Journey, at Noon my wife called me & said it's making "terrible noises".  One front brake pad had lost off, and it went steel on steel.  I haven't had good luck with disk brakes on other vehicles I've had (except for my first one that had them, a 72 Dodge Coronet), but this is the first time I've had to replace the fronts ever since we bought it in Dec 2010.  That's been almost 76,000 miles.  Wish I knew what brand of pads they were.  (Someone will now tell me that is impossible, but it's true.  I coast to a stop whenever possible, slow down early when approaching town, etc.  Drives my wife crazy, but that's the way I was taught by my dad.)

i do know that the pads they use on the journeys now are a great quality pad, also my daughter drives a jeep  patriot on her mail route and the oem pads worked better and lasted longer than the wagner thermoquiet pads i replaced them with, and just this last time i went back with the mopar oem pads, they are a better quality pad