front end clicks when turn and accelerate

2009 Journey 2.4L, 170,000 miles

There is a distinct clicking noise when I turn and accelerate.  Even a if I accelerate a tiny bit the clicking is still there.  Only when turning, never when going straight.  I think it only used to be in one direction but now it's when I turn in either direction.  Been happening for a few years.

Please help with ideas.  What/how to diagnose.  (live in Michigan so repairs are a month or 2 away)

Just got into fixing my car a couple years ago.  Learned everything from youtube and this forum.  I love this journey and the 2.4 engine.  Been easy to work on.  Runs like a champ.  Plan on getting 300,000 miles on it.  I've learned a lot last couple years and now I love taking care of it and fixing it.

Thank you!

Ohare is on to it,probally your axle cv joints ,you tube will provide you example of how they sound when you are turning, i believe if you are turning right in a sharp turn and hear clicking then its your left one. not hard to do but usually requires a air wrench and a few odd size sockets and a torque wrench ,pry bar...OEM parts are more expensive but they are better quality,most part store cv joints have smaller ribbed rubber boots which can tear or rot out faster when the journey is turning in a tight circle...as the old saying goes you get what you pay for,,,,good luck           also only do one side at a time do not do both side together as pulling both sides out of the trans at the same time will cause a lot of problems

Edited by 2late4u

When it warms up a bit get the Journey up on stands and wipe c/v joint boots with a clean rag.

Look for sign of a grease leak coming from boot. That will be the bad joint if there is one. Will turn to a knock sound when the wear gets worse. One side has a c/v shaft and an intermediate shaft that can generate noise from wear.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/20/2021 at 8:58 PM, John/Horace said:

When it warms up a bit get the Journey up on stands and wipe c/v joint boots with a clean rag.

Look for sign of a grease leak coming from boot. That will be the bad joint if there is one. Will turn to a knock sound when the wear gets worse. One side has a c/v shaft and an intermediate shaft that can generate noise from wear.

Thank you!

On 2/20/2021 at 1:44 PM, 2late4u said:

Ohare is on to it,probally your axle cv joints ,you tube will provide you example of how they sound when you are turning, i believe if you are turning right in a sharp turn and hear clicking then its your left one. not hard to do but usually requires a air wrench and a few odd size sockets and a torque wrench ,pry bar...OEM parts are more expensive but they are better quality,most part store cv joints have smaller ribbed rubber boots which can tear or rot out faster when the journey is turning in a tight circle...as the old saying goes you get what you pay for,,,,good luck           also only do one side at a time do not do both side together as pulling both sides out of the trans at the same time will cause a lot of problems

Awesome.  Thanks a lot to everyone.  I'll be investigating and doing the repairs soon.  Thank you!