Dodge Journey 2012 Battery

Dylan

Hi all,

I just bought the Dodge Journey 2012 from the dealer at 107000km.

I rarely use the car due to the pandemic.

I am facing the problem with the car battery (I guess), if I left the car in the garage for a few days (less than 3 days), I have to use the jump starter for starting the engine. The dealer just change the new battery just a few months ago.
Is there anyone facing the same issue like me? Do you have any recommendation which auto garage in Saskatoon that I can check my car problem. EAGER for your advices!

Thanks

Dylan

hate to tell you but some journey owners have problems with their journey battery going dead, so many different reasons it is hard to tell you what to do ,first make sure your fob is more than 30 feet from the journey when not in use,have someone pull the bluetooth fuse in the fuse box located under the glove box,also have the alt checked to make sure it is putting out the correct voltage also see if the dealership will change the battery out even new ones can go bad or get weak,also if all this is done and still problem have a garage check for a low drain on the system while shut off, so many other things as well, one poster had same problem and he said it ended up being the brake light sensor going bad cruise and read thur the forum listed as Electrical, Battery & Charging  good luck

I agree even though miles are low would be good to confirm alternator and battery cranking amps; could be still on original battery.

Sometimes I like to put solar panel on my truck battery if I know it’s going to be sitting a lot. Maintainer better but more effort. Saskatoon is pretty frigid; think northern Minnesota or Alaska temps.

I recently replaced in-laws battery with an AGM glass mat battery. Factory battery with only 10k went flat several times in three year period sitting in heated underground parking.  AGM charge much faster and hold their charge better when sitting. They are a bit more money but have been around long enough that they are reliable now. 

Lexus and some other luxury car makers ship their new cars with AGM batteries for that reason;  $50 more doesn’t mean much in that stratosphere.

Edited by John/Horace

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 2014 still on the original battery. Due to the pandemic, I've also driven it less and noticed when we've had a cold snap and have not driven the vehicle for a few days, my battery has suffered and I've needed a boost/jump. I have a battery booster/jumper that outputs the voltage and I've noted that it's below the cranking level, so I'll purposely go for a drive with the family and it's good as new. I see you're in Saskatoon, so your cold weather is much worse than here in Toronto, but it could also be possible the dealership installed a lower cranking battery? When looking to see to replace my battery, I noticed two batteries being sold at PartSource - where one had a higher cranking volume. I think if you go for drives(more than 15 minutes), you should be able to keep the battery at an acceptable cranking voltage.