Oil change frequency

Pete s

2018 Journey Crossroad AWD 3.6 ltr

So my dealer says I need an oil change at 4000 miles but my computer just lit "Change Oil" at 8000 miles. I drive no dirt roads, extremely little stop and go. Mostly 16 miles on good paved roads with a total of 3 traffic lights each way to work. Once or twice a month I drive north Approximately 200 miles highway each way. Who is right the dealer or my computer? The dealer says I could forfeit my lifetime drive train warranty if I dont change oil at least every 5000 miles? If the computer is wrong why have an oil change message at all?

Thankful for any intelligent answers  

Pete

Read your owners manual. Wait for the indicator to come on but don't exceed 12 months or 10,000 miles. The dealer is flat out wrong and is trying to sell you unneeded services. Trust the manufacturer recommendations. I'd be telling that dealer to take a hike if they lied to me like that. 

Edited by jkeaton

Are they trying to oversell you on oil changes, and other services down the road? yes.

The dealer is wrong* as the manual clearly states the interval. The computer's Warning is more of a reminder. (It takes an empirical estimation of oil quality based on engine hours, average manifold pressure, engine temp, and miles driven, among other things)

* That being said, although the dealer is 'wrong', That won't change the fact that your warranty might be in jeopardy if you don't change it with their terms. I'd read the Journey's manual, determine the actual interval, and then call and tell the service manager that "This is the FCA service interval, and that if the [dealership] doesn't follow this interval without voiding the lifetime warranty then I want a refund on the warranty- and I'll never have any service done at this dealership again."

Edited by NavalLacrosse

i use syn oil and mopar oil filters and i change it myself at 5-6 k intervals, i have a 2014 3.6 and 106 K on the clock and only once have i seen the change oil lite, yes i could go a lot longer according to the manual but I decided 5-6 k was good for me, when i do change it i havent lost a bit of oil and it still looks clean but i have the mopar max lifetime warranty and plan on driving it till the wheels fall off

Maintenance Schedules - NAFTA And Puerto Rico

MAINTENANCE SCHEDULES - NAFTA AND PUERTO RICO

Your vehicle is equipped with an automatic oil change indicator system. The oil change indicator system will remind you that it is time to take your vehicle in for scheduled maintenance. Based on engine operation conditions, the oil change indicator message will illuminate. This means that service is required for your vehicle. Operating conditions such as frequent short-trips, trailer tow, extremely hot or cold ambient temperatures, and E85 fuel usage will influence when the “Change Oil” or “Oil Change Required” message is displayed. Severe Operating Conditions can cause the change oil message to illuminate as early as 3,500 miles (5,600 km) since last reset. Have your vehicle serviced as soon as possible, within the next 500 miles (805 km). Your authorized dealer will reset the oil change indicator message after completing the scheduled oil change. If a scheduled oil change is performed by someone other than your authorized dealer, the message can be reset by referring to the steps described under “Electronic Vehicle Information Center (EVIC)” in “Understanding Your Instrument Panel” for further information.

NOTE

Under no circumstances should oil change intervals exceed 10,000 miles (16,000 km), twelve months or 350 hours of engine run time, whichever comes first. The 350 hours of engine run or idle time is generally only a concern for fleet customers.

Severe Duty All Models

Change Engine Oil at 4,000 miles (6,500 km) if the vehicle is operated in a dusty and off road environment or is operated predominately at idle or only very low engine RPM’s. This type of vehicle use is considered Severe Duty.

• OIL CHANGE INDICATOR - RESET
  • Without pressing the brake pedal, press the ENGINE START/STOP button or turn the ignition switch to the ON/RUN position (do not start the engine).

• Fully depress the accelerator pedal, slowly, three times within 10 seconds.

• Without pressing the brake pedal, press the ENGINE START/STOP button once or turn the ignition switch to the OFF/LOCK position.

NOTE

If the indicator message illuminates when you start the vehicle, the oil change indicator system did not reset. If necessary, repeat this procedure.

• Once A Month Or Before A Long Trip:
  • Check engine oil level.

• Check windshield washer fluid level.

• Check tire pressure and look for unusual wear or damage. Rotate tires at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on.

• Check the fluid levels of the coolant reservoir, brake master cylinder, power steering and transmission (4-speed only) and fill as needed.

• Check function of all interior and exterior lights.

• At Every Oil Change Interval As Indicated By Oil Change Indicator System:
  • Change oil and filter.

• Rotate the tires. Rotate at the first sign of irregular wear, even if it occurs before the oil indicator system turns on.

• Inspect battery and clean and tighten terminals as required.

• Inspect automatic transmission fluid if equipped with dipstick.

• Inspect brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums, hoses and park brake.

• Inspect engine cooling system protection and hoses.

• Inspect exhaust system.

• Inspect engine air cleaner if using in dusty or off-road conditions.

REQUIRED MAINTENANCE INTERVALS

Mileage or time passed (whichever comes first) 20,000 30,000 40,000 50,000 60,000 70,000 80,000 90,000 100,000 110,000 120,000 130,000 140,000 150,000
Or Years: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Or Kilometers: 32,000 48,000 64,000 80,000 96,000 112,000 128,000 144,000 160,000 176,000 192,000 208,000 224,000 240,000
Additional Inspections  
Inspect the CV joints.   X     X     X     X     X
Inspect front suspension, tie rod ends, and replace if necessary. X   X   X   X   X   X   X  
Inspect the brake linings, parking brake function. X   X   X   X   X   X   X  
Additional Maintenance  
Replace engine air filter.   X     X     X     X     X
Replace air conditioning filter. X   X   X   X   X   X   X  
Replace spark plugs (2.4L Engine). **   X     X     X     X     X
Replace spark plugs (3.6L Engine). **                 X          
Flush and replace the engine coolant at 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km) whichever comes first.                 X         X
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s).                     X      
Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter(s) if using your vehicle for any of the following: police, taxi, fleet, or frequent trailer towing.         X           X      
Replace rear drive assembly (RDA) fluid.         X           X      
Replace power transfer unit (PTU) fluid.         X           X      
Inspect and replace PCV valve if necessary                 X          

** The spark plug change interval is mileage based only, yearly intervals do not apply.