Weird Tire Wear...please help

jshabouk

Good Morning All,

I wanted to ask for some advice or see if anyone else has seen this issue.  I'm going to need to replace my second set of tires soon on my 2015 SXT and I'm at 81k miles.  The odd thing is that the tires all wear unevenly.  The outermost treads are nearly bald, while the innermost treads on all the tires are wearing normally.  I keep the tires at the right pressure, and rotate them every other oil change, keep the wheels aligned, but they still wear like this.  Has anyone else seen this on their Journey?  Can anyone make any recommendations for tires that are quality but won't break the bank?

Thanks,

Joe

the upper rear trailing link (control arms) oem are non adjustable, i have had problems with my 2014 with them wearing out the inside of my rear tires due to that, your choice is to replace with the org non adj part or part a higher (about 80-95 per side) plus labor only 2 bolts easy to do, then when you get your 4 wheel alignment which cost about 80-100 if they get out of adjustment or the Bushings wear they can be adjusted

2late4u, I'm thinking it is the camber also based on research I have done.  Where would you get the parts and have them put in, at the dealership?  It's just annoying that tires with a 100k mile warranty (yes, I know, that doesn't mean anything) dont even last 50k with this issue.  I have had alignments done, but not sure if they ever adjust the camber (if they even can).

Thanks.

A pic of said tire wear or of past alignment readouts(most places give a printout of before/after settings) would be very helpful to see here. I'm new here with a strong background in automotive alignment in my days now past as an active auto tech.

8 hours ago, jshabouk said:

2late4u, I'm thinking it is the camber also based on research I have done.  Where would you get the parts and have them put in, at the dealership?  It's just annoying that tires with a 100k mile warranty (yes, I know, that doesn't mean anything) dont even last 50k with this issue.  I have had alignments done, but not sure if they ever adjust the camber (if they even can).

Thanks.

Moog RK100119 Control Arm    amazon  

this is for the upper rear trailing link/control arm    the OEM is NON adj you can only replace it with this if the rear gets out of wack it can be adj.... i had mine done couple of yrs ago cost me around $90 each from a quick lane shop plus install    ( it was bad weather and didnt want to fool doing it myself) and as you see it is just 2 bolts, you will need to do both sides,and you will need a 4 wheel alignment which usually runs about $70-90...this should solve your problem hopefully.....good luck
Price: $74.16

How Does Camber Impact Alignment?

Posted: Monday, July 8th 2013

Camber AngleA proper alignment ensures that all four wheels are in the recommended position for your type of vehicle. This is fundamental to preserving both your vehicle’s safety and the tread life on your tires. The way each wheel is positioned on your vehicle is determined by three primary measurements: camber, caster, and toe.  These measurements have standards that a technician uses as targets of adjustment (depending on the type of vehicle). Generally, the goal is to get as close as you can to these standards. In this article, we’ll review camber.

Camber is the inward or outward tilt of the front tires as viewed from the front of the vehicle.  The actual camber angle is the measure (in degrees) of the difference between the wheels’ vertical alignment perpendicular to the surface. If a wheel is perfectly perpendicular to the surface, its camber would be 0 degrees. Camber is described as negative when the top of the tires tilt inward. Consequently, when the top of the tires tilt away from the vehicle it is considered positive.

Camber is used to distribute load across the entire tread. Improper camber can make the tire wear on one edge and may cause the vehicle to pull to the side that has the most positive camber.

Zero camber will result in the most uniform tire wear over time, but may reduce performance during cornering. The optimal camber setting will depend upon your vehicle type, your driving style and the conditions the vehicle is being driven in.