2018 GT w/ 8.4 UConnect - No Nav or Carplay?

So I am confused, I swear I have seen in various places that the 2018 Journey GT with UConnect should have Nav and be Apple CarPlay capable. Just took keys today and neither of these are enabled/working... Is there a software update I need or is this not actually built in?

42 minutes ago, larryl said:

Maybe maybe not depends on the build list...you should have checked before taking the keys...

I checked the brochure and saw it had UConnect and from the other searches expected it to be so. These are not specifically called out in the brochure either. It’s from Carvana so today is the first touch with this specific car. I couldn’t find where it was called out it wasn’t included so just hoped it meant standard for the GT. 

now to find out how to upgrade

You were looking at the wrong brochure.

uConnect 8.4 A and 8.4AN are the configurable models.  The 'A' requires a code to activate the navigator.  Neither has Carplay as far as I know.  uConnect 4C, yet another incarnation does have carplay

Assuming your vehicle has the 8.4" display it has Uconnect 8.4 or 8.4N - previous generation devices.

Edited by bramfrank

Yea so some of the 'brochures' and online reading I did would pull me in with 2018, but wasn't actually sticking to what was in the 2018's... and when i browsed the 2018 manual it seemed to be either the 4.3 (smaller screen) or the 8.4 (larger screen) with Nav as a software option -- and this is where I misconstrued a bit, because I had read in a few places that Nav=Carplay capable, but that was not assuming this in-between version of the head unit. I definitely missed that.

There is so much I like about this car that I am not going to return it just over this - but I am kind of bummed with how bad the 2018 top trim GT head unit actually works! The bluetooth is terrible, ipod controls are not great, and definitely don't connect more than one BT device at a time... this is barely a 2010-era experience in a decent 2018 vehicle. <sigh> But those are definitely first world problems that are not critical. I just expected more from this year/trim, that's all. Live and learn on the details. Seriously though, my 2018 base model soul had better entertainment interface to bluetooth, and my 2016 mid-trim mazda was nav and carplay for under $200 upgrades. Outside of this, I think I might really like this car. 

I know in my 18 Cherokee the Nav was activated by me with a code I purchased. It says so right on the build sheet “see your dealer for Nav activation “. Check the build sheet on your journey.  Create an account at ,Mopar.com, put in your vin, all kinds of useful information.

I recently got a 2018 Journey GT at Carvana. Definitely no CarPlay. I thought that all 2018 cars would have it but no. And no NAV too, I tried to buy the option at the Connect website to add it but it's not possible. 

But I love the car, besides fuel consumption :-) At least the gas is cheap now.

To use Waze, an app that I really like, I added an 8 inch Lenovo tablet but it's really annoying to charge, deal with overheating, mount, etc. I've been using Android stereos for many years and I found a good one for the Journey, the same that other member of this forum found, I posted my comments in other thread. It's very flexible and it supports CarPlay.

• 3 years later...