About to buy my first Dodge in 20 years

rozey66

So I am in the process of buying my first Dodge/Chrysler in a loooong time and honestly a bit nervous. Looking at a '18 GT Journey with <20k miles and one owner (off-lease) and while I like what I have seen so far, I honestly know little to nothing about this company anymore.

I replaced the tranny in my old LeBaron a couple of times around the turn of the century, lol, and have been pretty loyal to Subaru/Mazda/Kia (see the theme) since. I am hoping to learn from others here about the specifics I should be paying attention to buying a used Dodge Journey. Your insights and experience will help me make this transition. Thanks in advance!

welcome to the group, that said i love my 2014 journey and also had a 2011 journey,no real problems with either one, but since i am retired and planning on keeping this one forever i bought a lifetime unlimited warranty on my 2014 ......sorry to say dodge doesn't offer that warranty any more to present buyers but they still offer some great warranty's even on used low mileage journeys, if you plan on keeping this  journey  for a long time period ,with the cost of engines and transmissions these days you might want to check into one , several of us have bought off the internet and get a BIG discount on the OEM MOPAR warranty instead of a third party company....good luck and here is some info on warranty's..www.chryslerfactoryplans.com    .www.chryslerwarrantydirect.com   ,,

Welcome from a 2016 owner. I too bought mine off-lease under 18000 miles. I have been very happy.

I too bought the extended warranty over the internet for a lot less than the dealer offered it at the time of sale.i have not needed to use it yet but intend to keep the vehicle for many years.

Sorry for another self-reply, i'm not seeing the edit option anymore...

Another question for the more experienced: The first site (Zeigler/ChryslerFactoryPlans) is a lot more expensive than the second one (ChryslerWarantyDirect) but they seem identical in coverages... anyone know why? 

3 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

would only buy a warranty if you plan on keeping it a long time, if just a few years might not be worth it kind of like gambling

Agree - my concern is more around the mileage factor... it has basically 20k before i touch it, so I have MAYBE a year before it hits the manufacturers 36k... and the Carvana option is 36 months from my purchase but only to 60k original miles. That gives me roughly 2-2.5 years from now. And that one is costing me $1450. It's more than I should pay, but it gives me the peace of mind. I'm leaning towards the ChrylserWarantyDirect option of 6 years and 100k - that would give me about 4 years and 80k of coverage which is about what I expect to keep this car. Thats about $2000 (with $100 ded) that can be spread over 18 months for the FULL plan... going to try to find a local mechanic friend... don't know one in the state (yet)

Before you buy an extended warranty, check what the current vehicle has.

When I bought mine, the dealer tried to sell me a certified, pre-owned warranty that would cover the vehicle until 100,000 miles. I declined. I believed that it had just the factory bumper-to-bumper until 36,000 miles and the powertrain until 60,000 miles. Once I had the vehicle I created an account at Mopar.com. Once I entered my VIN # I found out that the vehicle already had a pre-owned warranty that covered the powertrain until 100,000 miles. The dealer mislead me, either deliberately or by mistake. Given the additional experience that I had with them after the sale, I am inclined to believe the former. I no longer patronize that dealer.

Go to Mopar.com and enter the vehicle VIN #. I don't know if you have to create an account or not but you can find out what the existing warranty is and whether, as a former lease, it may already be a certified vehicle with an extended warranty. Take the time to verify what the seller is telling you by checking yourself directly with Chrysler.

As for the extended warranty, be sure that what you choose is an official Chrysler factory warranty rather than a third party. I was fortunate to get in just under the wire and get the unlimited option, which is consistent with the way I intend to keep the vehicle. Otherwise, the internet options for the extended factory warranties are the way to go. I went thru Clay Robbins who is no longer associated with ChryslerFactoryPlans but Robbins Motor Company in Kansas.

remember some one had posted he bought a journey from car-max i believe and they kept bouncing him back and forth between them and Chrysler on a repair problem, i personally wouldn't buy a third party warranty, of course the warranty i bought on my 2014 was the first one i have ever bought on a vehicle in my life, so far i have had to use it one time so far and it saved me about $400. with the add $100 ded i had to pay plus paid for a car rental bill while being repaired.,,,, i paid around $ 2200. for it when i bought it.

18 hours ago, rozey66 said:

Another question for the more experienced: The first site (Zeigler/ChryslerFactoryPlans) is a lot more expensive than the second one (ChryslerWarantyDirect) but they seem identical in coverages... anyone know why? 

just like any company they  can charged different amounts on any product that they want. just contact them  and see if they want to beat the other companies price, best way to do it..When i bought mine i bought from Zeigler as they were the cheapest at that time but things always change....also if you have to have a repair thur a dodge dealership prices can vary from dealerships to dealerships on parts and labor....

• Official Dodge Support
On 4/26/2020 at 4:52 PM, rozey66 said:

Hello rozey66,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase! Its seems like the members have you off on the right track. The 2 parties listed above are 2 local dealers that understood the need to sale these plans online, but like one of the members stated the prices may vary. Mopar.com(https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/mopar-vehicle-protection.html) has a great comparison tool on the MaxCare vs. the Added care plans but please know that its truly important to do your research to determine which plan and purchasing location is best for you!

So to recap the plans can be purchased at your local dealer, online retailers or at 1-866-818-9929.

If you have any additional questions please let us know!

Lamar 

DodgeCares

On 4/29/2020 at 7:31 AM, DodgeCares said:

... Mopar.com(https://www.mopar.com/en-us/care/mopar-vehicle-protection.html) has a great comparison tool on the MaxCare vs. the Added care plans ...

I can find a PDF 'flyer' for each program, but not a comparison tool. Anyone help out? I'd be happy with a clearer picture of what isn't covered in the Added Care that the Max Care does.

• Official Dodge Support
54 minutes ago, rozey66 said:

I can find a PDF 'flyer' for each program, but not a comparison tool. Anyone help out? I'd be happy with a clearer picture of what isn't covered in the Added Care that the Max Care does.

My apologies, it seems once they retooled the site they removed that feature. I was able to locate these comparisons on a 3rd party site https://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm.

Lamar 

DodgeCares