Check engine light blinking

Whatdidido2015

• 2 months later...

A blinking Check light ALWAYS means there is a MAJOR issue that requires IMMEDIATE attention, and is typically so urgent it is advisable to stop the car at once and have it towed. Though I must admit I have driven up to 5 miles with a blinking CE light and the car shuddering and jumping due to sever firing issues. It can be something as benign as a bad plug or as catastrophic as a faulty Crank or Cam sensor. Both of those latter can result in catastrophic failure of other components by reporting incorrect timing and position.

My own 2009 Journey exhibited similar symptoms just yesterday. My code reader reported a bad coil and Cyl 2 misfire. Haven't tackled the repair yet, but it is very straightforward. As woth all issues, correct diagnosis begins with good information. Get a code reader, even if it is an el cheepo. In point of fact, you don't even NEED a code reader to pull the codes. All vehicles have a 'secret' series of button pushes that will cause the CE light to blink a pattern to indicate the code. Like 2 flashes - pause- 3 flashes - pause - 5 flashes -LONG pause then repeat sequence. This reads as code "235". And you can short 2 specific pins on the OBD connector to achieve the same result. But you cannot reset the codes this way. AND I recommend that you make sure whatever code reader you buy WILL send a 'CLEAR' command to the PCM to erase all current and pending codes. THis is a great diagnostic tool Reset it and see if it pops back.