Air noise buffeting

Greybird

While driving my newly acquired pre owned 2018 Dodge Journery Crossroad on an  excursion to nowhere,all the windows were in the up position.

I happen to put the right rear passenger window down & immediately experienced a loud buffeting ,banging noise in the rear of the vehicle.I pulled over & stopped the vehicle

to visually inspect  for any causes,seeing none,I continued on.I put the window  up,the symptom ceased.I put the right rear window down,the condition appeared again.

I spoke with the salesperson & was told the condition does exist in several different brands of vehicles.I had my doubts...I spoke with a Chrysler service dept.tech & was told basically the 

same thing. Options? Remedies, if any? ….Thanks...

I will agree with what the salesperson has told you. My Journey does this if you only try to roll down the back windows. My Chevy Impala does the same thing and so did the Ford Marquis that I had.

It is something that I do not remember being a problem on older cars but I have experienced it across different brands over the last dozen years. Its irritating and disappointing but it is not a fault of the vehicle. It is, in my experience, a common problem. With the Journey, I use the auto climate control and have been quite happy, once I have learned it's idiosyncrasies.

Are you referring to the thumping sound when you roll your back windows down a bit? And not trying to be mean, but did you really go back to the dealer for this?

Here's a full explanation of that deafening sound if you're interested. It's all physics...

https://jalopnik.com/why-do-slightly-opened-car-windows-make-that-awful-soun-1447498738

Totally normal, (not that it's pleasant by any means) This is the case for nearly all high-quality modern cars, trucks, SUV's Minivans. Older cars did not have this issue because of poorly sealer doors/panels.

Just learn the ideal amount of front window needed to kill the reverberations: 
usually an inch cracked in the front is enough to null out the pressure surges, and provide a mild breeze in the cabin. (opening the sun roof too, has the same nullifying effect)