P0301 misfire code after crank sensor changed

mikec26

Ok Ladies and gentlemen. My 2010 2.4L has 140000 km so far, not too many issues other than plugs until now. Engine just stalled at a downshift last week. Luckily I was able to manage to restart the car and pulled it over. Engine is working very rough and Mil was flashing.  I looked up scanner and got a bunch of codes for the crank sensor and misfire on cylinder 1. ( P0300 P0301 P0315 P0335 P0339 U0402). We went ahead and changed the crankshaft sensor since p315 p335 p339 were all refered to it. The Journey was started and idled fine, test drive everything felt normal just a bit weak.  All code were gone except P0301 which is cylinder 1 misfire is on all the time. I have changed all plugs at 110000km. They were all fine. We swap coils, plugs. no change. Swapped fuil injectors, no change. Still just p0301. We got fuel pressure test done. Everything is normal.

Do you guys think one of the cam sensors might be bad and could possibly be sending funky signals to pcm? Or the PCM need to be relearned after crank But there is no code for cam sensors at all and all code for crank sensor were gone.

Welcome some expert insight here. Thank you all in advance for your idea.

well good luck on finding out your problem just wondering, did you use the OEM copper plugs or go with something NOT recommend for your engine ? we have had some posters find out their problem ended up being the different plugs they tried using .not arguing just trying to eliminate the easy cheap possible problem and again wish you the best and report back when you find out your problem for other potential bloggers who might come up with the same problem

For the continuing misfire problem, you may have a head gasket or cylinder head issue. I am just throwing this out and it would not be my first thought.

You may have a bad connection from the wire connector to the coil.

You may have a bad connection from the wire harness to the fuel injector.

You may have a bad head gasket and/or a warped head. Not likely the head its self is damaged but a hard-to-find misfire could indicate that. Have a compression test done and a leak-down test done. Again, not at the top of the list but if nothing else resolves the problem then it is something to rule out.

My mechanic suggested a compression test is no need since the engine sounds normal and no misfire to him. Just the code P0301 kept popping up. I think I should get the compression test done to make sure. Does any one here know if there is any TSB or known issue with cylinder one on early generation of the Journey? And I also found this in the forum which was in a very similar situation as mine. His resolution was o ring replaced and PCM relearn. My oil pressure test result was fine. I remove the relay just to reset the PCM last night since the battery is hard to reach, but the MIL came back. Now MIL blinked blinked whenever engine went over 1000rpm if I was driving, but it return to steady below 1000rpm. It remain constanly illuminated if I pushed to 3000rpm at idle. No blinking. 

3.6 had some head problems but i havent heard of any problems with the 2.4 eng for the head,i would def have the compression test done yes its an extra cost but then you will have more info on what is not wrong.good luck

From my experience, a single-cylinder misfire that only exists above idle is not likely to be mechanical. Idle is the most challenging condition for a non-race engine. Most misfire producing mechanical problems will be at their worst under idle conditions. I'm not saying it's impossible, just that it's not likely. In my opinion, this is probably a fuel injector flaking out or a secondary (high voltage) ignition problem. I am not specifically familiar with the coil/wire/boot setup on the 2.4ltr. Is it possible to swap any of these other parts from cylinder to cylinder like you did with the spark plug? If so, I would try that and see where it leads you.

Good luck and keep us posted.

-Andy

Well shoot. I see now that I missed a sentence in your original post. Sorry for suggesting what you've already done.:doh:

I guess I would look toward what 2late4u suggesting. Poor connection, bad ground, chafed wire, in the injection/coil trigger harnesses.

-Andy

Thanks all for the inputs. This really exhausted all my energy. I think I will take it to the dodge house for a diagnosis. Just went through the service manual. It specifically indicated the PCV is due to inspection at this age and milleage. Actually mine is a bit overdue. Although I think PCV should cause random misfire other than single cylinder. With the PCV location is closed to cylinder 1 on the left. I think I will go ahead and replace it before taking it in. Overall it is not a expensive part and not that hard to do on the Journey. 

Just changed PCV although old one moved freely. MIL light came back as the way it was. I deleted the code through my OBD2, and MIL was not illuminated at low rpm idle any more. It just blink blink whenever I started driving it or rev the engine over 1500rpm. It will just disappear when it back to 1000rpm idle. Any thought on this?

• 4 weeks later...

Did you ever locate the cause of your misfire? I have the same problem on cylinder 5 for the 09 Journey 3.5. I've ruled out plugs, injectors, coils, and the PCM (I had a spare flashed for diagnostic testing). I'm down to a wiring fault somewhere or compression/leakdown tests (Doing this friday) for the valves.