WHY SO FEW JOURNEYS ON THE ROAD?

I think your right I knew that some of the other MORE pricy cars were 7 passengers and I happened to find this 09 Journey at a dealership in Seattle ONLINE with 500 miles on it for $20,000. AWD STX 19" wheels,etc. We were happy to see it and drove it and bought it right away. A man bought it for his daughter and she wanted a Prius instead. That's why it was cheaper I guess.

While I like my Journey how come no one else owns one? I see maybe 1 where I live and barely anymore in the city when I go there!!

How come?

I agree. I don't see that many either.

While I like that not too many are on the road yet - it makes our Journey R/T stand out a little because people don't know what it is - it always makes me wonder if my tastes are that much different than everyone elses, or if everyone else knows something I don't if I'm driving a car that doesn't seem to be popular.

I think its the fact not too many people know too much about it. My co-workers even asked - "what is it"? They said it looks good and has cool features and ALL were suprised it had seating for 7, but they never heard of it.

FYI...

The Journey was released around April 2008 as a MY '09 vehicle. The timing was terrible because this was when the car market was starting to show signs that it was heading for a collapse and Cerebus was realizing they probably bit off more than they could chew by purchasing Chrysler. Thus the marketing associated with this product launch was anemic, at best.

By the end of 2008, the company was in survival mode and aggressive marketing of this new platform was low on their priority list. It also didn't help that there were some "teething pains" associated with the new vehicle and Cerebus' lack of capital AND experience resulted in mishandling the problems. Virtually all new platforms have troubles of some sort but Cerebus just simply didn't know how to deal with them. This gave the Journey somewhat of a bad reputation.

By April 2009, one year after the Journey's launch, the company was forced into bankruptcy. The anemic marketing that had been performed up until then completely stopped at that point. In fact, all production and marketing stopped as the company re-organized and quickly emerged from bankruptcy with the help of new management put in place by Fiat. The new Chrysler re-evaluated all platforms and came up with a new vision for the company referred to in Chrysler circles as "The Plan".

Journey production picked back up in the fall and the MY '10 vehicles eventually started being produced (in September '09, I believe). Marketing resumed, although at a fairly restrained pace. As part of the re-evaluation of all products, the Journey lineup has been reconfigured. Production stopped in December and the factory was retooled. I'm not sure if production has started back up yet, but it if it hasn't, it should start shortly. The new Journey trim packages essentially amount to a 2010.5 model year and should be available this spring. At that point, you'll start to see much more aggressive marketing and we may finally see the 'real' product launch marketing campaign that should have happened back in 2008.

The Journey has been a relatively good seller for Dodge, despite all of the company problems. It's one of the few bright spots in their current lineup. All told, there have been just about 100,000 units sold through the end of '09 and they are currently selling close to the pace of the Caravan, their #1 seller (now that RAM is a separate brand). It has the potential to do much better than that as long as the 2010 "re-launch" goes well.

I'm happy to report that the Journey is a very popular vehicle in Edmonton, Alberta! Maybe it's our ridiculous winters that make the price for an AWD Journey look so appealing but we're seeing them more and more on the roads. Not quite as common as the Caravan but as popular as the Ford Edge in this area!

I think that once they get a few of the bugs worked out of the early year models, more people will consider them.

I am seeing more and more of them on the road... no advertising... that is why, and with the money troubles last year, they focused on the RAM..

Our ram was the family truckster, now with 155000 miles on her 03 Hemi, we got the Journey for the wife, and we take it everywhere!

Yes, slowly but surely, I'm seeing more and more on the road. I've also noticed an uptick in this forum lately, so maybe that's indicative of more buyers.

As part of the re-evaluation of all products, the Journey lineup has been reconfigured. Production stopped in December and the factory was retooled. I'm not sure if production has started back up yet, but it if it hasn't, it should start shortly. The new Journey trim packages essentially amount to a 2010.5 model year and should be available this spring.

Do you know why was the factory retooled? Are they also changing some components/making a facelift?

Do you know why was the factory retooled? Are they also changing some components/making a facelift?

"Retooled" conjures up images of major changes, so sorry about that. More like "reconfigured" to produce the new trim packages. No major platform changes just yet. MY 2011 is when the Journey should receive an updated look.

Here's a link to the press release that describes what the Journey should be getting in (hopefully) just a matter of weeks:

http://www.chryslergroupllc.com/news/archive/2010/01/07/brand_delivers_more_style

I live in the burbs of Pittsburgh and they are everywhere! I would say that within a 5 mi. radius of my house there are about 10 Journeys.

There are not that many Journeys on the road in Montreal, yet the dealers have none in stock. I wanted to test drive one on Friday bet the dealer had nomore in stock

I spent two weeks in Maui this past Christmas (yeah, I know... poor me!). I was shocked to see entire rental fleets were composed primarily of Dodge Journeys. Every touristy place I went was jammed with Dodge Journeys! On the Highway to Hana, I spent an hour sandwiched between two of them. Of course I was stuck with a crappy Nissan Altima. :cry:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Who knows...

I like my Journey so far; not a great car, but then again I did not want to pay the cost for a great car.

Thought I was seeing Journey's all over the place until mine was delivered. Now I see the same 3 a few times per week and none others. So, looks like the Dodge Journey will be a bit more exclusive :-)

Chances are, the Dodge Journey will be about as popular as the Chrysler paciffica, which more-or-less, the same car. Will be in prodiction about the same amount of time too...

So, you have a good car, that not everyone else is driving; feel unique!

While I like my Journey how come no one else owns one? I see maybe 1 where I live and barely anymore in the city when I go there!!

How come?

I like the "exclusive" nature of my Journey. It's kinda cool to NOT be driving the same car as everyone else.

Currently, there are about 4500 Journey's sold per month in the U.S. IIRC, there's another 3000 or so being sold worldwide. This number varies seasonally - I think this past December was closer to 8000/mo in the U.S. I have a feeling that the refreshed 2011 model is going to sell much better. It is supposed to have a re-styled front-end, upgraded interior and new engine options. The Pentastar V6 should do real well in this vehicle. Imagine 290 HP/260 ft.lbs. of torque, 90% of which is available at 1900 RPM and better gas mileage! I just hope they don't de-tune the engine like they did with the current V6.

• 1 month later...

Same here in N.E. PA. hardly any on the road. I told some family members I bought a Dodge Journey and they had no idea the car existed.

I have my Journey R/T for a year now, and people still ask me in parking lots what kind of car is that! It happend to me today at my dealers place of business by another client bringing his vehicle in for service. Very few Journey's seen here on the roads of Long Island, NY.