2014 Journey 2.4 with red lightning bolt and traction control light on

Thomas112

11 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

Is this what your talking about?
ETC Throttle Calibration/Characterization:

This procedure I'm VERY familiar with and works well with other Dodge/Chrysler models(Sebring/200/Avenger and others). A bit different than the one you posted of that says for NISSAN in the link you posted. 

11 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

A '14 model year wit the 4 cyl. motor and at 100k miles? Have you ever had the spark plugs replaced or had the throttle body cleaned? 

With ETC light on, yes it will trigger traction control and other lights also as you try and drive with the ETC light on and in "limp mode".

Yes I have had them changed and cleaned.

the traction control off light came on the same time the ETC did and same time it did it went into limp mode and idols ruff.

I did clear it before just can’t remember the sequence.

9 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Nice find, but it says for NISSAN. never heard of this for any of the Dodge/Chrysler products.and I've been around them and on forums for them for a long time. Would be nice to know if this is "legit" for our vehicles.

There is a sequence that works on the journey I just can’t remember it

• 2 weeks later...

I too have just run into this issue. Traction control light on then lightning bolt with limp mode. Can't go above 30ish. No codes being thrown. No abs light so I think that rules out sensors? Starts and shifts perfect (only to second gear then limp). Runs a little rough sitting in reverse. Fuses checked ok. Just bought this 11 months ago for 7500. A bit upset.  Retired and on fixed income living in a car dependant area. Thank God for door dash. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Throttle body? Throttle sensor?

Into the computer meaning the pcm.  But it’s the crazy temp probe sensors causing  limp mode isn’t it ? PCM doesn’t short out, It’s pretty much sealed, main circuit board is encased in clear urethane I believe.  Must create a big mess under hood though.

98D19716-25CE-466E-8115-1E3C097E4CCF.jpeg.5f805bd692d2c1b2a347edfa7b6f0b05.jpegED346189-5B5B-495F-928E-BD38740C4EE9.jpeg.0b307d2e656f94d8766836e1f8371c8d.jpeg

14 hours ago, Debora said:

I too have just run into this issue. Traction control light on then lightning bolt with limp mode. Can't go above 30ish. No codes being thrown. No abs light so I think that rules out sensors? Starts and shifts perfect (only to second gear then limp). Runs a little rough sitting in reverse. Fuses checked ok. Just bought this 11 months ago for 7500. A bit upset.  Retired and on fixed income living in a car dependant area. Thank God for door dash. Any thoughts on what could be the issue? Throttle body? Throttle sensor?

Mine was the throttle body was bad or stuck

3 hours ago, Lori b said:

Mine was the throttle body was bad or stuck

I had that STRONG suspicion of that when I replied to you earlier. But your post was for a specific request rather than help to diagnose or fix a problem. Glad you did get things "squared away" with your Journey!

Same problem here. 2013 journey 2.4l. Traction control light then limp mode. I replaced wheel sensors, no fix. Shop states etc motor performance and motor current codes. Told me it needed a new throttle body.  Wanted to charge me 600. I pulled it out myself in under 15 mins. Awaiting new one to arrive.  I have a feeling that this is not the problem.  The old throttle body looks fine. Not dirty. Butterfly turning fine. No noise in it to make me believe one of the wheels inside is faulty. Guess we will see.

16589743732918103352660429515516.jpg

It’s a servo motor so measurement from meter for resistance etc more important than visual.

Hitachi is the oem manufacturer, new is better than reman parts usually.

Might need quickie calibration after install if it doesn’t work correctly.

Can be done yourself with out any equipment.

• 1 month later...

I'm going through this currently.  I've changed out the air filter, map sensor, throttle body & gasket, fuel injectors, spark plugs, air flow sensor, pcv valve already.  I did a smoke test but can't find an obvious leak for the p2173 code that shows up.  Smoke only seems to come out of the intake vent. The error seems to do it when I first start up and go to brake.  If I stop and restart the engine it may do this a second time but then is fine from that point on. 

Side note:  The heater hose assembly blew out after the plastic tee failed so that had to be changed, shortly after I had to change the radiator hose because the plastic cracked near the cap.  Maybe the heat has just gotten to these old parts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

4 hours ago, ShaneB said:

I'm going through this currently.  I've changed out the air filter, map sensor, throttle body & gasket, fuel injectors, spark plugs, air flow sensor, pcv valve already.  I did a smoke test but can't find an obvious leak for the p2173 code that shows up.  Smoke only seems to come out of the intake vent. The error seems to do it when I first start up and go to brake.  If I stop and restart the engine it may do this a second time but then is fine from that point on. 

Side note:  The heater hose assembly blew out after the plastic tee failed so that had to be changed, shortly after I had to change the radiator hose because the plastic cracked near the cap.  Maybe the heat has just gotten to these old parts.

Any advice would be appreciated.

How many miles on the vehicle? And I take it a 4 cyl motor? I'd be willing to bet odds that it is a leaking intake manifold gasket to the cylinder head.

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with both the ETC and DTC (Off) lights coming on. Took to mechanic and they said it was a bad throttle body and replaced it.  Same issue kept happening and they got a new throttle body and replaced once again. Then same issue with lights and going into limp mode happened again this morning while letting my car warm up for my drive to work.

I am really at my wits end with this. The mechanics have performed multiple smoke tests and seen nothing.  Any suggestions what could be causing this?  Could it possibly be bad ignition coils that need replaced causing this issue?

Thanks for any help!

Hey! My journey is 2.4L with 160,000 miles.  I replaced the Crankshaft Position Sensor about 3 months ago. I did recently (about 2 months ago) have both hoses that run into the thermostat sheer off and shoot coolant everywhere inside. I have had to replace the same ignition coil (#3) 2 times within a 6 month period previously, one other has been replaced and the other 2 are the originals.  The last code I was told about was a vacuum leak notification but I wasn't given the actual number.  I am going to O'Reily on my lunch break and I will see what kind of code it says.

Thanks!

• 2 months later...
30 minutes ago, twizlerbabe20 said:

So I just replaced alternator and thermostats and went to start up car and the red lightening bolt came on just solid, no flashing. Help! It’s a 2014 journey.

mileage?, eng size?,  miles on the speedo ?was it running okay before you changed the alt  ? did you double check your connections so many questions what is your skill level?

In cold weather, first start of the day, not always immediately, my ETC light starts blinking and runs like crap. I have to disconnect the battery and reconnect, ETC light goes out and runs fine the rest of the day. Does anyone have a clue, I don't. Throttle reset doesn't work.

ETC has little plastic internal gears. They get worn and start to stick eventually. Hitachi makes the oem, RockA sells it, new better than reman stuff, usually.

Cleaning first like OP said, good starting point.  It  is a wear item and some point will need changing.