Broken Motor Mounts

Eve C.

My 2009 Dodge Journey just rolled over 78,000 miles. About 50,000 I replaced two motor mounts. This vehicle has never been run over rough roads, bumps or anything that would jar the engine. Since the dealer quoted a ridiculous amount of money to replace, I went to a local automotive shop that came highly recommended. The mechanic told me that they have replaced quite a few of these on the V6 engines. He stated that Dodge used the same motor mounts on both the 4 cylinder and the V6 use the same motor mounts. Today the other two motor mounts are being replaced. Different mechanic told me the same thing.  One would think that Dodge would have realized that the size or quality of what they were putting into the Journey was inadequate. From what I have googled, this seems to be a common issue on many year models of the Journey. I'm praying that the quality of the replacement parts aren't any worse than the original. 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hello. Our 211 DJ is about 99k also.

First question is: are there in fact, 4 motor mounts? We recently had 2 replaced (unsure which ones) to help stop bad vibration/growling type noise when accelerating uphill and turning to left. If there ARE 4, then we will look to get them changed also. 

Background: an independent mechanic could not diagnose problem, a dealer was also not able to, but relied on a power steering change out instead, which did not fix, (wasted $$). Yet another mechanic spotted the motor mounts and suggested the two we had replaced. 

Is there a history with the vehicle losing all 4? 

Thanks in advance for any insight.....

DW

if i was in your position, i would change them all out at 1 time why? well the vec has 99 k on it and you say you are having problems before, also probally be cheaper to have them all done and over with at one time ALSO very important is do NOT use sub grade parts use only the best parts you can buy. usually you have a left,right ,front, and  rear or might be called the transmission mount as well, good luck... depends on the roads you drive and the weather conditions that the mounts are subjected to during their lifetime. i would suggest using mopar OEM mounts unless you find something better...

I agree. I changed all of mine with OEM mounts from mymoparts.com. Pretty good prices. The side and front are easy. The rear is more difficult to access, but I got it done. The rubber in the rear mount was broken. 

Rattle is reduced but still there.  I’ve given up trying to solve the rattle and bought a new Journey.  Old blue is going to the kids until it dies. 

update:

we confirmed the mech. had done the front & rear. Upon inspection, & after researching online a bit, the passenger mount looks good. However the drivers side transmission mount(!) was found with a piece of bushing still laying trapped on the frame member. Have a new mount on the way.  Will update further if/when replacement is finished, and whether it silences the growling noise.

regards

DW

• 2 weeks later...