Acceleration whining

Josh B

It reminds me of a power steering pump noise. I can hear it at any speed when I push the accelerator.  I can be going 50 and if I take my foot off the pedal the whine gets lower. I do have warranty so I will be taking it in. I need some direction so they aren't able to bs me. Thank you!

In my experience, the best thing to do is to have the problem well defined in your mind and know how to reproduce symptoms or know when symptoms occur.   Take the service manager for a ride...   The thing with these dealerships is that they could be staring a major problem in the face, but if they say everything is normal you have to live with that to some degree.  Make sure you get the symptoms and problem documented completely.  If it gets worse you've got the history. 

This could be anything from wheel bearings to something in the engine or anything in between.   Good luck.  

Peace. 

Edited by redtomatoman

This sounds similar to an issue I'm having and already misdiagnosed.  The whining would begin as soon as I turn the car on...Then, it would go away briefly and return.  If I am just sitting in park and revving the engine, the whine would get louder.  If it wasn't making any noise at the time, I could easily replicate it by turning the steering wheel as far as it can go in either direction.  Once I returned the steering wheel back to center and waited a few seconds, the noise would disappear but would reappear again shortly thereafter.  Hopefully this makes sense.  I don't hear it when I'm driving, but that could just be the result of the road noise cancelling it out.

I took it in to get looked at and was told that the PS fluid was really dirty and needed to be changed.  I had that done, but the noise still persists.  I am bringing it back in on Friday to ask wtf?  I honestly think this is the PS pump going.   

journeys have a reputation for a loud power steering noise more than most car manufacturers do. and in real cold areas for the power steering lines to leak or blow out, i have a 2014 and it has always been a little noisy at first starting up even during the summer during the winter ill get a chirp when first starting it during the winter. but since you still have warranty use it and get it on record in case of later problems.. good luck

• 3 months later...
5 hours ago, loves2spooge said:

My 09 70k has a whining sound but only when I'm going 60mph and 70 mph. When I go over those two speed the whine goes away. Anyone have an idea?

Any idea what area of the vehicle the whine is coming from? Front? Back? Front passenger seat? Kids in the back seat?

Edited by jkeaton

• 4 years later...
On 10/31/2018 at 11:15 AM, checkstr said:

This sounds similar to an issue I'm having and already misdiagnosed.  The whining would begin as soon as I turn the car on...Then, it would go away briefly and return.  If I am just sitting in park and revving the engine, the whine would get louder.  If it wasn't making any noise at the time, I could easily replicate it by turning the steering wheel as far as it can go in either direction.  Once I returned the steering wheel back to center and waited a few seconds, the noise would disappear but would reappear again shortly thereafter.  Hopefully this makes sense.  I don't hear it when I'm driving, but that could just be the result of the road noise cancelling it out.

I took it in to get looked at and was told that the PS fluid was really dirty and needed to be changed.  I had that done, but the noise still persists.  I am bringing it back in on Friday to ask wtf?  I honestly think this is the PS pump going.   

Ever figure this out? Same exact thing with mine.

Guess we will never know as posters are usually only concerned about their own problem and NEVER report back as to what fixed their problem, which is a shame as that is what does not help others that might encounter the same problem,,,, that said i have a 2014 in alabama and upon start up yes i do hear the power steering whine for a while, guess i have just got use io it the slight kocks i hear when going over a small bump or dip bothers  me more than anything else, but it is what it is