Dealer mechanics and their BS!

realrobd

Mom has a 2011 Journey.

For about 6-8 seconds on a cold start (not as in winter cold start, like sitting all night) there will be a whine and then it goes away. Not a high pitch whine (it's not like a v-belt whine). Maybe I'll record it.

My initial thought was power steering pump and after a little research I was almost sure that was the case.

She purchased this car from a dealer and she had it back so they could do some minor things like touching up paint chips, detailing etc (for a 2011 this thing looks like it just came off the floor, amazing care the previous owner took).

The mechanic told her the noise was the water pump and that it was completely normal and like this on all these 6 cylinder engines. This is the kind of bullshit that floors me. Mechanics telling women lies just to get them out the door without fixing things that they would have to pay for.

I've been working on cars my whole life and I can usually spot bullshit a mile away. Am I wrong? Do these particular Journey engines have this sound at startup?

Edited by realrobd

yes during the winter time there is a loud squeal ,i live in Al. so we dont get cold like they do up north or   in Canada ,so mine is usually just a loud squeak or short squeal. havent heard any one complaining about it during warm weather.so why should they have to pay to fix a 7 yr old water pump or power steering problem unless she just bought it and it was in the sales contract that it was to be fixed ? not sure what you meant by your statement....

Mine makes all sorts of weird sounds on start up. Always has. If it concerns you that much, get a second opinion and then press the dealership to make whatever repair is deemed necessary (assuming you have some sort of written service contract). 

48 minutes ago, realrobd said:

Mom has a 2011 Journey.

For about 6-8 seconds on a cold start (not as in winter cold start, like sitting all night) there will be a whine and then it goes away. Not a high pitch whine (it's not like a v-belt whine). Maybe I'll record it.

My initial thought was power steering pump and after a little research I was almost sure that was the case.

She purchased this car from a dealer and she had it back so they could do some minor things like touching up paint chips, detailing etc (for a 2011 this thing looks like it just came off the floor, amazing care the previous owner took).

The mechanic told her the noise was the water pump and that it was completely normal and like this on all these 6 cylinder engines. This is the kind of bullshit that floors me. Mechanics telling women lies just to get them out the door without fixing things that they would have to pay for.

I've been working on cars my whole life and I can usually spot bullshit a mile away. Am I wrong? Do these particular Journey engines have this sound at startup?

Yeah, this is normal for the DJ... Whenever I start mine (since brand new) it has a loud whine from the steering pump warming up. Usually goes away within 10 seconds. Nothing to worry about unless it doesn't go away at all. Most FCA vehicles fitted with the pentastar have a steering pump whine, all the DJs that I test drove before I picked mine had the same sound. 

1 hour ago, lmoore1436 said:

Yeah, this is normal for the DJ... Whenever I start mine (since brand new) it has a loud whine from the steering pump warming up. Usually goes away within 10 seconds. Nothing to worry about unless it doesn't go away at all. Most FCA vehicles fitted with the pentastar have a steering pump whine, all the DJs that I test drove before I picked mine had the same sound. 

Thank you for the reply, you set me at ease. My cynical state of mind gets the best of me at times :)

I hope it lasts a long time because research shows me it will be a PITA to replace.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry this is a few weeks behind,  but thought i would add a comment:

my 2011 3.6L R/T had a BRUTAL cold start up whine.   i knew it was the power steering from past vehicle experience and noises.
i had NEVER heard of a noise that loud before on a cold start.   im talking -20 up here in Ontario, Canada so we get COLD mornings in jan-feb.

also when driving, if i did a left turn at speed,  it would do a whine as well.   i posted about it on this forum about a year ago.

so as a test, i looked at my power steering fluid level and it was below what it should be,  so i added some fluid and my noises (volume in winter) and left turn (completely gone) were reduced significantly.

• 2 months later...

Mine too during winter when it's Fuc"*&?68 cold outside there is a whining like it's going to throw a piston out but after 10 seconds (warming up) everything comes back to normal, DJ makes a lot of funny noise when starting up ... you'll get use to it lol

I did see your last post ... ok "Brutal" may be not normal .... I'll check pulley .... I had all the pulley failed on me :( causing the belt to slip or it was your power steering pump ... but trust me it does whine during winter at -20 to -30, it can also throw codes ... it doesn't really like that mine last winter decided that it was bucking throw the "ETC" light, I turn it off, then on, was like nothing happened 

Edited by SylvainB

There is a service bulletin for the whine sound when cold. The idler pulley bearing can make this sound. Mine screeches for a few seconds in extreme cold. The power steering pump makes a noise like it's low on fluid for several seconds after cold start. Finally, there is a moaning sound from the engine after a cold start which lasts about a minute then stops. Been making that since new. The minivans do it too, but strangely, not the Grand Cherokee, Durango, 300 and Charger - essentially the RWD platforms as opposed to the FWD ones. No worries.