Stripped lug nuts

AstralRT

Anyone have any trouble with stripped lugs nuts on the factory 19" rims?  A while back a cap slipped off of one and months later when I tried to pull the tire off to replace a wheel bearing it was a huge chore that cost me a lug nut and a stripped nut removal socket and the deep pockets in the rims for the nuts don't do any favors for access either.

Now on another wheel one of the caps on one of the nuts is stripping and not gripping at all.  I'm toying with a couple of options to have it removed, one of which is to try and pull the nut cap off before I mangle it too much and take my chances with the bare nut underneath.  I'm not sure if the cap is turning loosely over the nut underneath or if its simply rounding out.  I don't care too much for the lugs, just want to minimize rim damage as much as possible.

Any advice on how I should proceed?

use to have problems with the caps coming off the lug nuts (cheap nuts from chry) mostly caused from air guns over torquing the lug nuts. you might have to drill it out. before doing this go on amazon and order you a complete set of solid lug nuts cost is quiet reasonable ( $ 20-30)and also use a torque wrench from now on when putting the lug nuts back on.

2late4u is right again.

I replaced all the crappy lug nuts on our Journey with solid nuts. 40 bucks including taxes.  All the caps were peeling off the old ones.

Your problem nut could be stripped because it might have been put on crooked with an air gun.  Not fun to take off.  If the cap was rounded, it would pull right off the nut.  The nuts are easy to take off when the caps are missing.  It has no effect on the nut if the cap is missing.

Good luck with that bad nut.  Most tire shops have a special socket that can catch the nut and take it off for you.

mechanical-idiot

these are solid lug nuts from a quality manufacture, you would need 5 packs  times $11.49  there are also some cheaper ones that most people think are 1 solid piece but the manufacture says no they are 2 but they wont come apart like the oem ones do,,, they run about $ 25 for a set...........this is from amazon       McGard 64012 Chrome Bulge Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - Set of 4

List Price: $13.83 
Price: $11.49 Free Shipping for Prime Members
You Save: $2.34 (17%)

In Stock.

Want it Friday, May 18? Order within 19 hrs 17 mins and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. Details
Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Color: Chrome
  • Chrome
    $11.49

•  
  • Chrome/Black
    $15.99

• 1.45" Overall Length
  • M12 x 1.5 Thread Size
  • 3/4" Hex Size
  • Cone Seat Style Lug Nuts
  • Set of 4 Lug Nuts

I haven't had a chance to get back at it yet, thanks to life being so busy, but do you think its possible for the cap to be spinning but not coming off?

I had once come off before and when I tried to remove the base nut underneath it was ceased on so hard it stripped and I had a hell of a time with a stripped nut removal socket to get it out.
I really don't want that experience again :(