Factory fill level of 62TE transmission seems high

Jeff T

Just changed the transmission fluid for the first time on a 2012 Journey with the 6speed 62TE at 35,000 miles.  I was surprised that I drained 6.4qts - and that was measured cold at 70degree F since it sat overnight.  I read that I should have drained about 5.5qts on a pan drop and refill, so I was both pleased I got a lot of old fluid out and confused at the same time.  I measured it with a graduated cylinder, so the measurement is pretty spot on.  Unfortunately I didn't measure it before the change since I assumed my precise measuring method would suffice.  I don't question the amount of fluid that I removed, since it was all contained and even the old oil jugs agree with the volume, albeit less precise.

After I did the change I did some more research to find the temperature compensation charts.  I refilled with 6.4 qts because I had no performance issues before the change and don't seem to have any after the change.  The dilemma is that when I use the oil dipstick and measure the fluid level, I am getting 2-1/8 to 2-3/16-inch at 160F transmission temperature based on the EVIC, which means it is overfilled.  It also probably means it was overfilled from the factory or my measurement method is way off since no fluid has ever been added.  I siphoned out 0.3qts and the new level is at 1-7/8-inch at 150F.  So a target fill at 150 should be 1-3/8-inch, which means I should remove another 0.3qts or a tad more.  This would put me closer to the 5.5qts that most folks are getting.  I am a little hesitant to remove any more fluid due the sensitivity of these transmissions on fluid level, but it seems that almost all service shops and even FCA uses this dipstick/temperature method.  For now I am leaving it as is.

I am curious if anybody else used the engine oil dipstick and a ruler to get similar results of high fluid level readings even with the factory fill?  I've checked it after various driving trips and the results are very consistent assuming the temperature is in a similar range.  But I would guess that a 1/4-inch change could be approximately 0.3qts based on my measurements.  I'm not certain about this, though.  I believe from hot to cold that the fluid expands by volume of 0.45qt at the maximum assumptions, which corresponds to a change on the chart of about an inch.  That is 70F (21C) going up to 160F (71C).  That math is .001/C *50C * 9qts = .45qts.  Hence, this is pretty believable math and it is easy to see why plus or minus 1/2 a quart could be a serious problem of under or overfilling.

That’s why I had the dealer do mine at 55k miles.  WAAAAYYYY to much measuring/checking/remeasuring for me.

Gone are the days of pulling the trans dipstick and getting a level.

I agree you need to be as accurate as possible as overfilling is worse then under filled.  I thought there was a special dipstick for the trans the dealers use, maybe you can buy one of those?   

Service fill (pan drop, drain, new filter) is supposed to be 5.5 quarts of ATF+4.  A complete overhaul (100% drain) is 9 quarts.

There are plenty of videos out there for how to check the fluid level in a Chrysler 62te transmission, especially since this transmission is in the Grand Caravan (2008 and on), Town and Country (2008 until end of model), Journey, Nitro, and a bunch of other vehicles.  Your tool list should include sand paper (to rough up the end of the next piece of equipment to give the oil something to grip), a wire coat hanger, a knife (to mark the high and low points on your makeshift dipstick), pliers, a tape measure, duct tape, and a scan tool (to check transmission temperature).

Thanks for the info.  The fact that I removed over 6 qts during the drain and the dipstick is reading high means that I needed to remove some fluid, so I made that decision.

I removed another 0.3qts from the transmission and now I am within the recommended range in the chart.  It seems that approximately 0.3qts is the allowable difference of min and max within a specific temperature.  That is 3% of the total volume, which seems reasonable.  It also seems that the 1/2qt of expansion from cold to hot is correct based on my removal amount and the corresponding change on the dipstick for a given temperature.  The only thing I could figure is that the dealer added fluid during an oil change or other service since I was anywhere from 0.5 to 0.8 qts overfilled.  Recall that I removed 0.6qts in the last two days in order to get within range.  This is the first time I did the fluid change so I should be fine for another 30k.   I hope this volume relationship and dipstick measurement is helpful to somebody.

Hence, I would suggest that if you perform a transmission fluid change, you need to be within 0.25qts.  Probably half of that margin would be better assuming your initial level was known to be correct.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Checked mine tonight. Factory filled. Engine temp of 43 celcius yields 39mm of fluid. The acceptable mm range per the chart is 11mm - 29mm at that temp. Which means it has 10mm too much fluid. This further proves that the factory overfilled the transmission.

I found mine was too high also. I found I also had a small leak on the filter pan. After research and talking to Mechs, they could not decide which RTV was best. So I went to Dodge and got the sealant they use. Changed filter/fluid and sealed pan, no issues. As I said, I did capture and measure the fluid that came out. Once I filled to proper level, I found it was over filled.

Edited by 2016RT