under hood light

was going to add an under the hood led light with the auto on-off pin switch and then thought hell ill call the dealership parts place an see what it would cost, well  then he wanted the  vin # and then still couldn't come up with a kit to do it. got me wondering do any of the journeys have the hood light? and then when i asked even if he could get me one that would work would i have to have a sales code and get it flashed like the trailer lights do and he couldn't answer that one. so guess ill just have to order the parts off amazon or quit checking the oil at night LOL

I'm not aware of a factory underhood light kit, but if there's a pin switch then it likely doesn't need a sales code . . . . the power from the battery goes to the bulb and the other wire from the bulb goes to negative (the vehicle frame) through the pin switch.  I'm reasonably certain you could find a universal kit of some sort from Autozone (or better yet, perhaps ebay).

Why not just buy a flashlight?  They sell some that have magnets, though the hood is aluminum. 

Edited by bramfrank

I've never seen one from the factory but I do know ebay has several good options for under the hood lights.

Example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Under-Hood-LED-Light-Kit-Automatic-on-off-Universal-Fits-Any-Vehicle-White/302106025369?hash=item4656ec1d99:g:GDcAAOxy4~BSSp1P&vxp=mtr

I dont think any newer vehicles come with under hood lights.  Those went the way of 3 month/3000 mile oil changes. There is very little, if any, usefulness for such a thing they way they cover everything up on engines these days with "beauty covers".  I keep a flashlight in the vehicle should I ever need to open the hood on a dark street for some reason.

Of what use is a light that is under the hood?  If you're popping the hood because something is wrong on the side of the road or in an empty parking lot, there's a good chance it's power related.  If it's not, it soon will be by running an unfocused light with enough strength to clearly see the engine bay.

Get a good LED head lamp and keep it in the glove box or in the storage bin with the scissor jack.

• 3 weeks later...

well i had bought some small led lights to use as a back light additions but ended up using them under the hood and instead of a pin switch right by where you reach for the hood lift rod there was a small spot that the rocker switch fit real neat and tidy that i decided to use, ran the wires under the hood pad and with one set of led lights on both sides of the hood, oh well looks great and throws a lot of light will make checking the oil or what ever at night a lot easier. cost was about $22. all together , would still like to add some extra back up lights guess ill try led bulbs first might be enough....

• 2 months later...

well after someone posted about changing out the refelectors in the bottom of the rear bumper the cost seemed to expensive for me,so i just reordered some more of the small fog minnbar lights off amazon and then ran my wire that i tapped into the reverse light and instead of running the wire under the plastic trim on the hatch back i just neatly ran it up the corner of the metal and used some gorilla sliver tape to cover it and it blends in so great with my silver journey then ran the wire under the rubber seal down to the bottom of the bumper and then added the light they are about 5 1/2 inches long by 2 inch wide.drilled a hole in the reflector in the center for the wiring to go thur and then drilled 2 holes for the screws to go thur the end of the lights to hold them to the reflector the outside edge of the light is about 1/2 from being flat to the reflector but it looks pretty good and man do they throw  the light when backing up didnt have no codes being shown from adding the led lights. had to add these as when i use the carrier on the back to carry my wife's 3 wheel scooter kind of blocked the back up lights...maybe i can get my daughter to take some pics and put them on here since i dont know how and i just have a old flip phone.... LOL    

Sold by: KAWELL
Return eligible through May 12, 2018
Edited by 2late4u