1st oil change mileage?

Bryman31

just curious when you guys got your first oil change done?  did you do it when the light came on?  when it hit 3000miles?  my buddy has a durango, he is about to change his oil change for his first time at 500 miles.  i thought that was odd so i figured id ask what you all have done.  also what oil do you all use?  in our grand caravan im using high mileage synthetic blend. (same engine as the journey)

everybody has their own opinion on when to do oil changes but at 500 miles is a little soon but if that is what he wants okay.i stay with name brand oil ,what the manufacture calls for on the weight, i also use syn oil but not blended. read somewhere not to use syn blended oil. and i usually go at least 6k between changes havent seen the oil change message in a long time and have 68 k on my crossroad.i did have the dealership change the transmission oil and filter at about 60k book says at 100k but i think that is a little to long....

If the vehicle is new, I've always changed the oil between 500 miles and 1000 miles, then followed the oil life meter.  In my mind, the oil they first fill is for the break-in period and like to run it for at last 500 miles then swap it out for full synthetic. There's alot of calculations that goes into the algorithm to determine when to change the oil.  It has nothing to do with "oil condition".  There's no test hardware, its all mathematical.  There's no reason not to follow the oil life meter under normal driving conditions.

I've followed this schedule for a long time and have never had an engine problem.

• 2 weeks later...

Does any one knows, if a Dodge changed interval for the oil changing message,from 10.000 km to 16.000 km?

My 2016 Journey Crossroad do not provide the this warnings, even i draw 2000 km over oil limit (full synthetic oil) at 12000 km I do not receiving any warning to change the oil. Went to dealer today for full scan and we do not see any errors regarding to "oil life sensor"and "oil life monitor" and service manager show me, that the Dodge changed to 16,000 km/10,000 ml. I hard to believe, they did that and do not provide the information to any where. 

Thanks