Custom Garmin GPS Nuvi Mount

• 1 month later...
what did you have to do to get the wire behind the dash? Nice Job!

The whole center section of the dash come off pretty easily by pulling at the bottom by the edges. I took out the original little rubber top tray cover. I drilled holes in the top tray to fasten the mount and another to run the wire through. If we ever sell the car, I can remove everything and the rubber tray cover will cover the holes. With the center dash section off it is easy to route the wire through down to the power plug. My original plan was to wire up another power plug behind the dash and make all wires out of sight. However because we have two power plugs and by using the top one as pictured, it is almost out of sight so I went with easier simpler wiring.

Great job!!! I just have a question about the mount. When folded up, what keeps it in the up postion? Is there just enough tension to keep it in that position, and if so then will it loosen up over time?

Engineering secret... :rolleyes:

Small o-rings around the bolts fastened with loctite should hold the correct tension for a long time..... hopefully

• 3 months later...

This is real nice! Gonna build one myself. Thanks. Also, not sure if you have ever seen them but there are special washers made from spring steel that look like they are bent with a slight curve to them. These will work better than the rubber and last forever.

• 4 weeks later...

Very good indeed, just last night I was sit in my journey organizing the radio and seeing what to do in this compartment, I have exactly the same GPS, but I really dont have the skills to do the mount I believe ... congratulations, very clean and pretty .... really liked and very good idea!

congrats

Vini.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

You can create the exact same thing with an off the shelf product from www.iqsmartsolutions.com, and without drilling any holes (except to route wires behind dash.) The mount is for satellite radio, but comes with gps mounts and is CHEAP...I got mine on clearance at BBuy for 5.99! Folds flat for storage, and sits up nicely when open with slight finger pressure. Dont have any photos, but could upload some if anyone is intersted...

Joe

As an alternative, I used velcro and stuck my Garmin 255W to the very back of the compartment. It fits perfectly standing up. When I need to take it to another vehicle it just pulls off and I put it in the original Garmin mount. I can still use the rest of the compartment for storage if needed.

I also ran the wire behind the dash which really makes things look tidy.

You can create the exact same thing with an off the shelf product from www.iqsmartsolutions.com, and without drilling any holes (except to route wires behind dash.) The mount is for satellite radio, but comes with gps mounts and is CHEAP...I got mine on clearance at BBuy for 5.99! Folds flat for storage, and sits up nicely when open with slight finger pressure. Dont have any photos, but could upload some if anyone is intersted...

Joe

Joe, I'd really like to see some photos of your off-the-self setup...It's something I would like to do myself...

• 2 months later...

Joe

What model number mount did you purchase? Im interested in doing something similar but want to make sure I buy the right parts.

Thanks,

Dave

As others have commented, great job etc. You have done a great job integrating the Garmin GPS into the car.

I do have a question though, do you have to drive around with the cover open so that the GPS will find the satellites?

The OEM Navteq in my Journey and everyone elses's is lacking, IMHO and from personal experience the Garmin is a vast improvment over the OEM Navteq. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255 that seems to have much better maps than the Journey's Navteq maps. I paid for the lifetime upgrades ($120) for my Garmin and I get updates 4x per year. I recently just bought a onetime Navteq upgrade ($200) for my vehicle and it's map is not as new as the Garmin. I live in a new area of my city, the Garmin map shows my streets while the Navteq map doesn't. I am quite familiar with GPS's, having 3 of them along with one for my many cameras.

Thanks

Terry

• 1 month later...

As others have commented, great job etc. You have done a great job integrating the Garmin GPS into the car.

I do have a question though, do you have to drive around with the cover open so that the GPS will find the satellites?

The OEM Navteq in my Journey and everyone elses's is lacking, IMHO and from personal experience the Garmin is a vast improvment over the OEM Navteq. I have a Garmin Nuvi 255 that seems to have much better maps than the Journey's Navteq maps. I paid for the lifetime upgrades ($120) for my Garmin and I get updates 4x per year. I recently just bought a onetime Navteq upgrade ($200) for my vehicle and it's map is not as new as the Garmin. I live in a new area of my city, the Garmin map shows my streets while the Navteq map doesn't. I am quite familiar with GPS's, having 3 of them along with one for my many cameras.

Thanks

Terry

Hello,

I have a 2011 Dodge Journey Crew.

My GPS is a Garmin 265WT.

I made a cylinder using 2 inch ABS & caps, then attached the suction mount to the top.

This inserts into the front cup holder.

All is removeable to help prevent theft.

Price around $5.00