Just Bought Used 2015 Dodge Journey SXT

NewJourneyFan

Hey guys,

My wife and I just purchased the Dodge Journey. We love it so far. It drives nice, the V6 engine is fast pick up and go, and we are getting about 22 MPG so far. We fight now over who get's to drive it to work haha. A good fight to have! 

I will try to keep this topic updated with my impression's. We're taking it out of town the first week of October and that is always a good test for a vehicle. 

Anyone have had troubles with these cars? I have read both good and bad things, so just wondering on that.

Thanks!

Have a 2015 myself and have gone on 3 long trips in the last two years (one with a trailer). Happy to say, no problems at all. Now, if you bought one with a ton of miles on it, no promises. If it's been mis-treated, no promises. If it is average miles and well taken care of, you should be fine. I like the fact that it's quiet and has good power (mine is a V6). I also enjoyed using the manual shift going over twisty mountains, worked great. Have a great trip!

48 minutes ago, Armando G said:

Have a 2015 myself and have gone on 3 long trips in the last two years (one with a trailer). Happy to say, no problems at all. Now, if you bought one with a ton of miles on it, no promises. If it's been mis-treated, no promises. If it is average miles and well taken care of, you should be fine. I like the fact that it's quiet and has good power (mine is a V6). I also enjoyed using the manual shift going over twisty mountains, worked great. Have a great trip!

Thanks for the reply! Our car Journey has 43000 miles on it, and was owned by a company before me. I know this because the previous owner left their insurance cards and other information and it had a company name on it. So it should have been kept up with their maintenance but obviously I have no way or proving that.

Thanks again and have a good day!

12 hours ago, NewJourneyFan said:

I know this because the previous owner left their insurance cards and other information and it had a company name on it.

Keep in mind that company name is usually for tax purposes. I had two of my cars under my business name, but one was really a family car ( =-O sshhh). Anyway, 43K is right about where I am so I would think it was not over-driven. 

Welcome and enjoy the trip.

49 minutes ago, Armando G said:

Keep in mind that company name is usually for tax purposes. I had two of my cars under my business name, but one was really a family car ( =-O sshhh). Anyway, 43K is right about where I am so I would think it was not over-driven. 

Welcome and enjoy the trip.

I found out it was a rental car company when I added it to MyCarFax. The antenna was recently replaced, besides that everything else was standard maintenance and oil changes.

So far still Loving the car! Will be adding an aftermarket rearview camera so it'll be easier to back up.

4 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

well you know what they say about a rental car drive like you stole it..and most people do just that and believe me rental cars are not maintained like they should be, that is called down time and that  does not making them any money.... good luck

My second car I bought was a rental, and it was well taken care of. And according to the Carfax, the oil changes and maintenance was taken care of. They have to do that, too, because it doesn't make them money or make a happy customer if the car breaks down. It costs them money.

Congrats on the new DJ and Welcome to the site. We own a 2016 and really like it.  No issues so far and we added the OEM camera for a reasonable cost at the dealership.  Maybe worth looking into if your interested.  Once you have a camera, it's hard to go without so we added it.

2 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

Congrats on the new DJ and Welcome to the site. We own a 2016 and really like it.  No issues so far and we added the OEM camera for a reasonable cost at the dealership.  Maybe worth looking into if your interested.  Once you have a camera, it's hard to go without so we added it.

had it added to mine also, hard to understand why a dealer would order their cars without the backup cam ,as my journey had the 8.4 display  i am still thing of adding the back up parking sensors that beep.  the one thing i really like to have is the signal that tells you someone is in your blind spot as they are passing you, i have read their are some add on units but they didnt get real good reviews from the testers as to many false alerts from them.

25 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

had it added to mine also, hard to understand why a dealer would order their cars without the backup cam ,as my journey had the 8.4 display  i am still thing of adding the back up parking sensors that beep.  the one thing i really like to have is the signal that tells you someone is in your blind spot as they are passing you, i have read their are some add on units but they didnt get real good reviews from the testers as to many false alerts from them.

I have the backup sensors and to be honest, they drive me a little crazy. They don't alert you to anything that isn't within view of the camera, it's loud and turns the music off when it beeps. Whenever I pull out of my garage it goes insane. 

2 hours ago, lmoore1436 said:

I have the backup sensors and to be honest, they drive me a little crazy. They don't alert you to anything that isn't within view of the camera, it's loud and turns the music off when it beeps. Whenever I pull out of my garage it goes insane. 

I use to have the back up sensors on an old Buick Randevous (sp?) And I loved it, but of course I didn't have a back up camera. If my car had that then I would be fine. 

On 9/5/2017 at 0:25 PM, NewJourneyFan said:

I found out it was a rental car company when I added it to MyCarFax. The antenna was recently replaced, besides that everything else was standard maintenance and oil changes.

So far still Loving the car! Will be adding an aftermarket rearview camera so it'll be easier to back up.

Rental cars are fine as far as I'm concerned. I have bought 3 'used to be' rental cars and they have lasted me a very long time with no issues at all (other than a couple of scratches from people not being careful). I just helped my daughter buy her first car from Hertz car sales. Car is in amazing shape and she paid over $3000 below market. They also through in additional warranty coverage because, according to them, they are that confident in their cars. The car runs great. I assume most of us are smart enough to check the car out before buying, regardless of rental or not. 

Nice that you got the carfax. 

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the board!

The good thing is that there is not much catch-up maintenance to do with the Pentastar.  Change the oil and filter (I don't care what the dealer sheet says - change it anyway).  Get a transmission drain & fill at 60,000 miles - don't wait for 120,000 since this was a fleet vehicle.  Inspect (and replace if any signs of dirt) your engine and cabin air filters.  Make sure that you've got good tire tread depth.  Look over your hoses, brake fluid level, pad thickness, and rotor wear.

That should be pretty much it.  There's not a whole lot of maintenance on the V6 models until 100,000 miles beyond the standard oil change/tire rotation/filter replacements.

2 hours ago, bfurth said:

Welcome to the board!

The good thing is that there is not much catch-up maintenance to do with the Pentastar.  Change the oil and filter (I don't care what the dealer sheet says - change it anyway).  Get a transmission drain & fill at 60,000 miles - don't wait for 120,000 since this was a fleet vehicle.  Inspect (and replace if any signs of dirt) your engine and cabin air filters.  Make sure that you've got good tire tread depth.  Look over your hoses, brake fluid level, pad thickness, and rotor wear.

That should be pretty much it.  There's not a whole lot of maintenance on the V6 models until 100,000 miles beyond the standard oil change/tire rotation/filter replacements.

Thank you man! I always get an oil change when I get a new used car, because vary rarely can you really know when it was last done. I'm glad the pep boys guy showed me the air filter because it was dirty lol. But I totally didn't think about the transmission fluid! 

We also rotated the tires. Thanks again!