TPMS issue

2011DG

Hello! I'm new to the forum and there's a lot of good information in this site, a lot to read and very good answers. I did run into a problem with my 2011 Dodge Journey. When  I start driving it both my rear tires show zero or (--), a few minutes later the back rear one will show pressure. I thought it was the sensors so I opted to wait a bit to change it out. I had the tires balanced and rotated yesterday and to my surprise, the same thing is happening. I thought the problem sensors would now give issues on the front since that's where they're at now, but in fact it's the rear still showing the exact same issue. Any help resolving this would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you. 

20170806_173414.jpg

The system works with three antennas and the sensor that is closest (strongest) to a particular antenna is assigned to the wheel in question.  Once all three have been determined, the fourth becomes obvious.

Sounds to me like you have an issue wither with an antenna, a connection to an antenna or with the vehicle's TPS sensor module.

2 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

hmm 2011,  6yrs old... the batteries in the valve assy might be going bad. just a thought.....

That's what I thought when it first happened, but like I stated in my post, the tires were rotated the back ones are on the front. If it was the batteriesthe front ones should be the ones indicating low pressure. The problem remains in the rear. 

I can't speak for the location of the antenna, but the TPM Module should be located in the driver side rear wheel housing protected by the splash shield.  It's connected to the electrical system via a single wiring harness and attached to the body via two nuts mounted on a pair of studs.

As a final bit of troubleshooting - are you absolutely certain that the pressure displayed for the front wheels matches reality?  Take a weekend morning, set all 4 wheels to 36 PSI, and drive for 10 minutes.  Park, wait 20 minutes, and decrease the pressure in one of the recognized wheels (at 29 PSI, the warning light would kick in, but all you're looking for is a substantial change in recorded pressure from that wheel).  Drive another 10 minutes.  Does that wheel show the correct pressure.  If measured reality and module reported pressures don't match, just replace the module.  The next step, although more expensive, might be to replace all four pressure sensors/valve stems.  6 years is about the expected lifespan of those batteries.

The description I'm reading regarding that module is that it is self contained.  As best as I can tell (confirm with your local Fiat dealer), the part number is 56029542AC.  There are two re-learn procedures that will work to recognize the new module, should you choose to install it.  The first requires a scan tool (unlikely that you have one).  The second is much less complicated - keep your Journey off for 20 minutes, then start it and drive above 15 MPH for at least 10 minutes.

As for installation, it's painfully simple and as obvious as it seems once you look at it.  Remove the splash shield (presumably, you know how to remove plastic rivets in such a way as to render them re-usable), remove the wiring harness, remove the nuts that attach the sensor, re-attach everything.  Finish waiting 20 minutes, then drive.

Good luck!

On 8/7/2017 at 4:52 PM, bfurth said:

I can't speak for the location of the antenna, but the TPM Module should be located in the driver side rear wheel housing protected by the splash shield.  It's connected to the electrical system via a single wiring harness and attached to the body via two nuts mounted on a pair of studs.

As a final bit of troubleshooting - are you absolutely certain that the pressure displayed for the front wheels matches reality?  Take a weekend morning, set all 4 wheels to 36 PSI, and drive for 10 minutes.  Park, wait 20 minutes, and decrease the pressure in one of the recognized wheels (at 29 PSI, the warning light would kick in, but all you're looking for is a substantial change in recorded pressure from that wheel).  Drive another 10 minutes.  Does that wheel show the correct pressure.  If measured reality and module reported pressures don't match, just replace the module.  The next step, although more expensive, might be to replace all four pressure sensors/valve stems.  6 years is about the expected lifespan of those batteries.

The description I'm reading regarding that module is that it is self contained.  As best as I can tell (confirm with your local Fiat dealer), the part number is 56029542AC.  There are two re-learn procedures that will work to recognize the new module, should you choose to install it.  The first requires a scan tool (unlikely that you have one).  The second is much less complicated - keep your Journey off for 20 minutes, then start it and drive above 15 MPH for at least 10 minutes.

As for installation, it's painfully simple and as obvious as it seems once you look at it.  Remove the splash shield (presumably, you know how to remove plastic rivets in such a way as to render them re-usable), remove the wiring harness, remove the nuts that attach the sensor, re-attach everything.  Finish waiting 20 minutes, then drive.

Good luck!

Well I did exactly what you said, it didn't even take a minute for the computer to update the pressure. The funny part about it is that the computer doesn't recognize that the tires were rotated, I'll post the picture at the end of this. How do I make it recognize that the wheels are I  different places? The one that shows "low" is now on the front of the vehicle. Thanks for the help! 

20170814_185506(0).jpg

You have to drive around at above 15 mph for a while before the system will figure it out . . . . . the same way it figures out new sensors.

But given that the system can't figure out which is where it would seem you are at square one - antenna or module.

Edited by bramfrank

Go buy yourself the replacement TPMS module and replace it.  Or, if it is at all an option, see if you can borrow one from someone you know who has the same model year as yourself.  If it works, great - go buy one.  If not, put everything back where you found it and look for other problems.  Chances are, it's the module.

• 3 years later...

What a great Forum! I just got a '11 model that's doing quite similar. The RR wheel pressure goes all over the scale from proper 36(+ or -1 psi)cold to 84 psi and while driving down to 24 and the "flag" and warning popping on.  I thought possible wheel sensor, but will now investigate the module, and I have access to a couple of them to try. even have access to an advanced scanner that can work with the system...at no cost! Nice having a few connections from my past auto tech career yet!

If the module isn't the prob, then I'll have the sensor replaced when my "contact friend" replenishes his stock of sensors as he's just run out of them from other sales and is waiting on parts shipment to come in!

Edited by 5rebel9

• 2 weeks later...

Well I got the car away from my son long enough to do so "checking" this morning. 

Checked TP with my gauge and noticed was hard to get a reading, so pulled the core and noted the press. drop on the message center but not go to drop out dashes. Installed a new core and noted that air went in much easier, set to 36psi and went on a new road test of 20 miles at 55mph speeds. Message center still showing RR reading all over the scale but not to the point of low press warning flag or going to the dreaded dash drop out. Came back and swapped the RR and RF positions and road tested the same route, RF reading fine, but the RR(was RF) still showing the same read outs on the message center.

At this point, I believe it is the TPMS module, and have contacted my friend to see about pulling one out of one of his parts journey's and giving that a try. We'll make the swap at his place(where his lifts will make the job much easier to do). We got this Journey thru him and he wants all things right on it, but I feel this is not his fault and will compensate him accordingly. This is the first time I've seen such a problem with TPMS systems. I've heard about it with other vehicles but never to me.

Yeah, I just wanted to be absolutely sure and not waste money on an unneeded part. and my friend just got restocked with new sensors yesterday(finally). So  sometime in the next few days will be able to have him change out the sensor.

Otherwise this is looking to be a great ride in the family...I'm beginning to get jealous driving my 200k+ 04 T&C! But I know the Journey can't pull the 3 face cord of firewood load that my T&C can.

3 hours ago, 5rebel9 said:

Yeah, I just wanted to be absolutely sure and not waste money on an unneeded part. and my friend just got restocked with new sensors yesterday(finally). So  sometime in the next few days will be able to have him change out the sensor.

Otherwise this is looking to be a great ride in the family...I'm beginning to get jealous driving my 200k+ 04 T&C! But I know the Journey can't pull the 3 face cord of firewood load that my T&C can.

if you are getting a great price ,might as well replace all 4 at once and get it over with

5 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

if you are getting a great price ,might as well replace all 4 at once and get it over with

I had told my 21 yr old son that I would make sure the Journey would initially be 100% and then he was responsible for future maint. costs I'm just going for the 1 wheel sensor. He still owes us 2 grand for the car to pay on monthly. I basically carried his Neon for 5 years while he "beat on it" regularly.    ;)

Just my perspective about how the TPMS works on the Journey as compared to other vehicles I have.....

OK so the DJ may need a short time to SELF learn tire position, at least inflation is immediate as all cars. Our Pontiac G6 has to be TAUGHT wheel position after doing a tire rotation by means of a series of "steps" to get the BCM into "relearn" mode and following a certain procedure of lowering tire pressure on each wheel in a prescribed sequence that horn honks when each step has been successfully completed. Then one has to go back and refill air to proper pressure. It's not real hard to do, just time consuming. 

Of course the early TPMS on my T&C (04 model) does not specify position just pressure. If a warning goes off, then one has to manually check all position for pressure till you find the low one!

On our DJ with a malfunctioning sensor, the fault is of little concern , What's more annoying is location of message and such having that shows up while driving!

C1504-96-Tire Pressure Sensor 4 - Internal Component Failure

C1504-96-TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR 4 - INTERNAL COMPONENT FAILURE

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

NOTE

Check for and remove any non-FCC compliant components, and verify that the tire pressures are correct, before beginning this diagnostic procedure.

Theory of Operation

The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor actively monitors the air pressure, air temperature inside the tire, the direction of the tire rotation and the internal battery status. Each sensor has a unique ID code. The TPM Sensor transmits the data at regular intervals via an encoded signal to a receiver circuit located in the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

When Monitored:

This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

• Ignition on.

• System voltage between 10.0 and 16.0 volts.

• Vehicle speed above 24 km/h (15 mph).

Set Conditions:

• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module receives RF signal error if data is not received or cannot be accurately decoded for a maximum of 20 minutes when the vehicle speed is above 24 km/h (15 mph).

• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module receives internal sensor hardware error.

• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module senses error in the shock sensor, pressure sensor, or temperature sensor.

Default Actions:

• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module Lamp will flash on and off for 75 seconds then remain on solid.

Possible Causes  
NON-FCC COMPLIANT COMPONENTS
AFTERMARKET TIRES/WHEELS
INTERMITTENT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL DTC
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) MODULE

Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

NOTE

Before beginning diagnostic procedure, verify that tire pressures are correct.

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Test drive the vehicle at a speed greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) up to 20 minutes in order to receive TPM Sensor data and allow for the system to update.

With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

With the scan tool, read TPM DTCs.

Is the DTC active?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL FAULT ACTIVE

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool, select Data Display for the TPM Module and locate the following:

• Tire 4 Pressure Sensor HW Defective

• Tire 4 Rotation Detection HW Defective

• Tire 4 Loss of Sensor Signal

• Tire 4 Missing Sensor ID

• Tire 4 Duplicate Sensor ID

Do any of the above faults read “Set”?

Yes

No

TPM/RKE ANALYZER CH9936

Is there a TPM-RKE Analyzer CH9936 available?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL DTC

NOTE

This fault can be set if the incorrect or no TPM Sensor is installed on the vehicle. If the spare tire is currently installed on the vehicle, and it is not equipped with a TPM Sensor, this DTC can be set. Replace the spare with a TPM Sensor equipped wheel and tire assembly. Test drive the vehicle. If the DTC resets, continue with the diagnostic procedure.

Perform a visual inspection to verify that all road wheels are equipped with a TPM Sensor.

With the TPM-RKE Analyzer

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

verify the correct TPM Sensor is on the vehicle.

Is the correct TPM Sensor installed on the vehicle?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL FAULT SET USING TPM-RKE ANALYZER

NOTE

The following procedure is used to locate the TPM Sensor that is setting the internal fault. If the tires have been rotated, the TPM Sensor is no longer in sequence from the factory. Faults are linked to the TPM Sensor IDs. You MUST locate the TPM Sensor that set the fault before continuing. Use the following method below at every tire location.

NOTE

If the TPM Sensor IDs do not match, it may be necessary to move the vehicle to a location away from other TPM Sensors and repeat this step.

NOTE

Always be certain to select the proper vehicle line and model year when using this tool, as the tool will automatically use the correct protocol to attempt to read the TPM Sensor. If the incorrect vehicle line and/or model year is selected, the TPM Sensor will not respond to the tool.

Use a TPM-RKE Analyzer

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

to scan each TPM Sensor for a response, and store in the proper location in the TPM-RKE Analyzer. If you receive no response from any of the TPM Sensors, check to make sure that the TPM-RKE Analyzer is set correctly and repeat the process on each non-responsive wheel.

Replace the TPM Sensor if the results show a “Damaged Accel”, “Damaged Temp”, “Damaged Press”, “H/W fail”, “S/W fail” or the TPM Sensor does not respond after repeated attempts. Install the correct Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor in accordance with the Service Information. (Refer to Tires and Wheels/Tire Pressure Monitoring/SENSOR, Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) - Removal). Perform the TPM VERIFICATION TEST. (Refer to DTC-Based Diagnostics/MODULE, Tire Pressure (TPM) - Standard Procedure).

With the scan tool, select Data Display for the TPM Module.

Check to see if the Sensor IDs match what is programmed into the TPM Module.

Has the TPM Sensor been located?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL FAULT - MISMATCHED ID

NOTE

If the TPM Sensor IDs do not match, it may be necessary to move the vehicle to a location away from other TPM Sensors and repeat this step.

Use a TPM-RKE Analyzer

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

Analyzer, TPM/RKE

to verify the TPM Sensor IDs match what is programmed into the TPM Module. The TPM Sensor Identifications are located under “Data Display” for the TPM Module.

Do the TPM Sensor IDs match what is stored in the TPM Module?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR INTERNAL FAULT SET

NOTE

Some vehicles will not receive the TPM Sensor data when the vehicle is stationary. The vehicle may need to be driven at speeds greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) for about a minute in order to receive TPM Sensor data.

Turn the ignition on.

Starting with the left front wheel, deflate the tire to 20 PSI, wait two minutes, and check the scan tool for changes to any compensated tire pressure values.

Look for a tire location with a non-responsive TPM Sensor ID.

Repeat this test on each wheel on the vehicle until the TPM Sensor in question has been identified.

Has the TPM Sensor been located?

Yes

No

INTERMITTENT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR DTC

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.

Perform any Service Bulletins that may apply to this condition.

With the scan tool, erase TPM DTCs.

Test drive the vehicle for a minimum of 20 minutes with vehicle speed greater than 24 km/h (15 mph).

Does the DTC remain active for this DTC?

Yes

• Return to the beginning of this test and perform the diagnostic procedure as necessary.

No

C1581-00-Front/Rear Tire Pressure Sensor Location Undetermined

C1581-00-FRONT/REAR TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR LOCATION UNDETERMINED

For a complete wiring diagram, refer to the Wiring Information.

NOTE

Check for and remove any non-FCC compliant components before beginning this diagnostic procedure.

Theory of Operation

The vehicle Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor locate process occurs after the vehicle remains stationary for 20 minutes. The Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module will determine the Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Sensor positions. The TPM Module measures the signal strength of each TPM sensor and determines if the are in the front or rear.

When Monitored and Set Conditions

• When Monitored:

This diagnostic runs continuously when the following conditions are met:

• Ignition on.

• System voltage between 10.0 and 16.0 volts.

• Vehicle TPM Sensor locate process.

Set Conditions:

• New Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module has never attempted localization.

• Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM) Module fails multiple vehicle TPM sensor locate processes if localization fails due to Front/Rear sensor failure.

Default Actions:

• TPM Indicator lamp illuminated.

Possible Causes  
NON-FCC COMPLIANT COMPONENTS
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) MODULE HARNESS
INCORRECT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) MODULE INSTALLATION
TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) MODULE

Diagnostic Test

CHECK FOR AN ACTIVE DTC

NOTE

The vehicle must remain stationary for 20 minutes before proceeding with this diagnostic procedure.

Turn the ignition on.

With the scan tool, read DTCs and record on the repair order.

Test drive the vehicle at a speed greater than 24 km/h (15 mph) for 10 minutes in order to receive TPM Sensor data and allow for the system to update.

With the scan tool, erase DTCs.

Is the DTC active?

Yes

No

TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) MODULE INTERFERENCE

NOTE

Interference may occur if the TPM Module is installed incorrectly or the TPM harness is not fastened properly to the body.

Turn the ignition off.

Verify the following:

• Aftermarket devices are installed or in the vehicle.

• The TPM Module harness is damaged or is routed incorrectly.

• The TPM Module is installed incorrectly.

Are there any of the above conditions present?

Yes

No

INTERMITTENT TIRE PRESSURE MONITORING (TPM) SENSOR DTC

The conditions necessary to set this DTC are not present at this time.

Perform any Service Bulletins that may apply to this condition.

With the scan tool, erase TPM DTCs.

Test drive the vehicle for a minimum of 20 minutes with vehicle speed greater than 24 km/h (15 mph).

Does the DTC remain active for this DTC?

Yes

No

Thanks for posting such an excellent diagnosis guide on the subject(both of your postings)!  :)

In my case the sensor does not drop out completely and correct readings happen when a good reading tire was moved to that RR location and crazy reader went to the formers position. I feel that perhaps the sensor in the rim of the offending wheel was damaged during a tire replacement or the "circuit board" in it is malfunctioning. I will report findings once I get it replaced.

BUT your postings ARE of GREAT VALUE!    :)

52 minutes ago, 5rebel9 said:

Thanks for posting such an excellent diagnosis guide on the subject(both of your postings)!  :)

In my case the sensor does not drop out completely and correct readings happen when a good reading tire was moved to that RR location and crazy reader went to the formers position. I feel that perhaps the sensor in the rim of the offending wheel was damaged during a tire replacement or the "circuit board" in it is malfunctioning. I will report findings once I get it replaced.

BUT your postings ARE of GREAT VALUE!    :)

IF they tpms is the original from the factory then it is 9 yrs old the battery is going bad in it most likely

2 hours ago, 2late4u said:

IF they tpms is the original from the factory then it is 9 yrs old the battery is going bad in it most likely

YES, well aware of the "age factor", having just recently gotten the vehicle and not speaking with the past owner (in Maryland) to know when the issue started leaves the question of just what caused the "failure". As the sensor does NOT go entirely dead, just goes from low reading to extremely high numbers and everywhere in between when driving the car. Who knows, there may have even been "fix a flat" used in the tire/wheel at some point that affected that sensor....tires look like new and why I posted as such previously.

My friend is very busy right now and I'll have to wait a bit till he has the time to to the task. I still rue the day that I sold off my tire changer and balancer!!

• 1 month later...

I know that I should probably start a new thread about my son's "journey" with his Journey, but will bring this part to a close along with the latest pre winter maint. done.

Finally got the tire monitor replaced a couple days ago,along with fixing a very slow rim bead leak on the LF wheel. TPMS is working fine now and no "leaky" tire. 

I also did a complete cooling system flush and separate heater core back flush, as we got our first snow and 32*f shot. Had low heat on pass. side front. Due to age, I also changed the T-Stat assy before refilling the system. WOW it now will "cook" you out rather than being comfortable!

Any further updates will go into my own thread for his well liked ride!  ;)