thinking of buying a 2011 journey R/T AWD

journeyfamily

I'm certain that others will chime in but here's my take.

The R/T was the 'top of the line' for Canada in 2011.  The issues are that it was the first year for the 3.6 litre engine, which was prone to a misfire condition (that FCA would fix for free and for which there is apparently an extended hidden warranty) and it had the smaller brakes (which had the benefit of being able to for 16" wheels for winter use).  If you beat the vehicle the disks would warp, though my '11 never suffered the issue in the 54K miles I owned it.

Be aware that the AWD requires that all 4 tires have roughly equal wear and that if you have a flat that requires you change a tire, you likely will be changing 4 of them.

If you could buy an extended FACTORY warranty you would be protected against possibly expensive electronic repairs - not that there's a specific history of them, but all modern vehicles have lots of computers and older ones can have corrosion/grounding issues and diagnostics and replacement modules can cost - if it hasn't been rust-protected with a spray inhibitor yet I'd certainly have it done. 

I have been quite happy with my 2011.  I had the cylinder #2 misfire which has been corrected with a new left side head.  I also had a cam phaser replaced.  The motor still runs like the day I brought it home.  The brakes are smaller than newer models.  I replaced my pads with ebc greenstuff pads and rotors with ebc drilled and slotted rotors.  They stop strong.  No signs of any  warping.   I had the sccm in the steering column replaced bc my cruise control was wonky.  No problems with that over the last 4 years.  That's it I think.  As far as AWD, there is no difference between dodge AWD and other AWD systems as far as tires are concerned.  Size matters.   

Lots of electronics.  Not sure how that's different from the others.  I have the extended warranty.  

Peace.

had a 2011 mainstreet had 70k on it when i traded it in. had the dealer work on the brakes at 11k they turned the rotors and then they redid them at 28k last time for a goodwill gesture had just a check engine light come on at 70k something with the trans. they reset it and said nothing wrong just a glitch with the trans. would have kept it but seen a 2014 crossroad that caught my eye and they were real generous with the trade in value i ended up trading in. have 51k on it right now plan on driving the wheels off this one so i bought the mopar max lifetime miles and yrs extended on this one. glad i did as at about 42k they oil sensor went bad while on a trip so took it to a dealership where i was and they gave me a free rental car and 5 hrs later called and said everything was fixed ,cost me $107. ded and i was on my way...

I have an 09 that I bought in July of 08.  All in all I've been lucky and happy with my ride.  Nothing major ( engine ,trans, electronics) has gone wrong.  Not to say I havent had issuse, just nothing that big.

Couple of things that suck:  the Kumo tires didn't last, but my Michelin's are just fine.  The orginal rotors and brakes were terrible, but I switched to ceramic with aftermarker rotors and now they are way better, both in stopping and lasting.  Not bad considering how heavy the car is.  

Its had a couple of recalls but what car doesnt.  I've used  Mobil 1 oil since I've had 300 miles on the car and do the required maintenance.

What I really like: My MyGig radio with the hard drive, the hands free UConnect, the folding seats, the factory remote start, my lifetime extended warranty.

Important to have a good dealer (so many suck) and I would purchase an extended warranty just because of all the electronics in the car.  Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...