Custom UCONNECT Access

I just want to say while I havent a clue what you are saying with the different systems, etc., it will be great to have a phone app to use! Thank you for your time and efforts! Will you be making instructions for us? Like where do you plug the Bluetooth dongel in, etc? Thanks again!

Yes. The installation of the dongle is very simple. Just plug it into the OBD2 jack under the left side of the dashboard under the steering wheel. I'm trying to make everything as automated as possible for you, even to the point of registering with the website automatically, so you don't have to do much but register an email address to your vehicle. Don't worry, it'll be non-IT folks friendly.

• 2 weeks later...

ok, here's the latest information and a photo. I've been through two bluetooth adapters and two wireless adapters, in attempts to find the best for both range and power consumption. Here's my current rig that I think i'll stick with. I've also added an LCD screen to the front to display the IP address and system information. As you can see, the case is nicely cut up.. i'll eventually get a few models test printed and then get custom cases for all the hardware required.

As far as software, i've been testing the api connection back to the website. So far, i'm able to kick off a remote start of my vehicle from the website. I still have a long way to go, but it's making progress!

post-10820-0-23990300-1430180641_thumb.j

@s4in7,

Thanks for the offer. If i get to a point where I need it, i'll definately will call on you for help. What I really need is someone with php experience or python experience. I also would love to have someone else that's experienced in obd calls.

Also, this is probably going to be spanish to most, but I got the Pi to push rpm, speed and mpg to an influxdb metrics index, last night. I'm working on graphs for the dashboard now.

post-10820-0-27752900-1430233970_thumb.p

Another good update. I got a few graphs on the page with much testing... it's pull real data from a influx database and displaying it with a google chart. All AJAX, so it will automatically refresh (when i get that code in place). Currently only pulling RPM, SPEED, and MPG. MPG and SPEED are on the same graph, so you can track how it effects your mpg. I'm planning on allowing users to select how they want to view data in one of the following ranges:

• Last 100 records
  • Hourly average
  • Daily Average

If someone can think of something better, lemme know!

Read it and weep!

post-10820-0-55447500-1430244306_thumb.p

Last update for the night before I turn in for bed. I wrote a bash script that loops after boot to connect to the OBDLink LX module. If it's already been added, it just creates the port /dev/rfcomm0. If the module has never been paired with the device, it loops until it see's it, then automatically pairs. This will make it so that when you first install the raspberry pi in your vehicle, you simple hit the pair button on the OBDLink LX and we will automatically pair it for you, and reconnect to it after each boot. I still need to work how to nuke the old one and start over again if you have to replace your OBDLink... but that's small beans by comparison.

First minor update of the day. I've added a separate dashboard for graphs/metrics per vehicle. The menu item is in place and graphs are polulated. I also added a few realtime gauges that update every few seconds (when the codeing is finished) to show the current readings from your vehicle... yes, I know the RPM gauge is onlyl shown up to 100. I need to break out the gauges independently so that i can add max points for each that are realistic.....

Photo attached!

post-10820-0-49612700-1430322014_thumb.p

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Got the gauge piece worked out.. also spoke with a friend about what i was doing, and after looking at it, he decided the gauges were out of place or something was missing. He suggested that I create a "heads up display" site with the gauges, that you can view on a table or cell phone in your vehicle to see metrics in realtime.. i think this is an outstanding idea, so i'm going to create a seperate page for gauges and graphs. graphs are data over time, the gauges will be for use while driving in the vehicle (primarily) but can be viewed from anywhere. They won't be exactly realtime, but they will be pretty close.

I've also made each gauge independent and added ok,warning,critical sections to the dial. Last thing to do is work out the refresh piece, and fix the font size for the gauge names.

post-10820-0-52222300-1430404328_thumb.j

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

A demo account was created with one of my vehicles. The data is test data, while I get the rest of the obd stuff worked out on the pi. If you want to test it out on www.uhacknect.com, the username and password are as follows:

username: demo@demo.com

password: seven8

None of the settings can be changed, none of the vehicles can be removed. It's really just to see things in action as i'm working on it.

Got real data going into the index now! finally got the obd2 stuff worked out on the pi, and it's working perfectly. I've tested it pushing data ever second, i've since bumped that up to every 10 seconds, just to ensure everything on the server side is good to go! Now I just need to package it up so that it loads perfectly, get the error code piece pushing to the server, and i'm done. I'm at the 75% mark for this adventure!

If you want to see the live data, login with the credentials I provided in the post above.

Yes I read that also. Not worried about it though. The only write function in doing to the bus is to start, stop, lock and unlock. They can come after me if they want. Also, the dongle I chose requires physical access to the inside of the vehicle to gain access, which they would be able to put their own dongle on with that same access anyway... So it's a moot point. Finally, if they lock it down, the Chinese will clone their proprietary dongle :) just takes time

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Got the basic errorcode check code in place. Changed around the automation of metrics pulling so that it's optimized and handles when the engine is turned off now. Also changed the bluetooth attach script. It was working before, now and again, but it should work every time now. This will allow you to automatically pair the OBDLink LX device with the pi, without any user interaction. Simply hit the button on the obdlink lx, and restart the pi. It will do the rest. It will also automatically reconnect to the obdlink on startup when the vehicle is turned on. AKA, you won't have to ever push the button on the obdlink again, unless you are replacing the obdlink with a new one.

On another note, I'm going to start testing this python on an android device, to see if users are able to use a tablet or their smartphone to do all of this work. If i can make this work, you can simply leave a tablet in the vehicle and it will do everything, vs a Pi. More to come on that...

As for this week, it's going to be an important one. I'm going to be focused on two things.

1. Polishing the metrics script up so that it works perfectly.
  2. Start implementing the remote start features from the website to the pi. This means, those lock, unlock, start, stop buttons on the website dashboard, will be working by the end of the week, I hope. After that, i'll focus on scheduling actions on the vehicle, and the additional features, like opening windows etc.

Let me know if there is anything else you guys want this thing to do.

one more thing. If there is a journey owner in Virginia that has a check engine light on, please let me know. I need to test a few things that my simulator doesn't do. :) unless someone knows how to make my journey throw a CEL without destroying it or pulling a plug wire. I want to test out the capture of error codes from mode 3 and 7, but the simulator i'm using only throws the mode 3 calls, which are worthless in getting the error code bytes from mode 7.

kthx.