Custom UCONNECT Access

I haven't disappeared, I've just been resolving bugs :)

I'm getting closer to a release that will work on 2011+ journeys. Even if you don't have remote start, you can still use uHacknect to track data on your vehicle. Once i get this warning light issue resolved, i'll be rebuilding the system from scratch to ensure it's repeatable, and finally, i'll be pushing out an image.

Thanks,

Chris

Sneak preview of uHacknect Mark II. Smaller, Faster, Cleaner.

Still have an intermittent AWD light coming on when my app attempts to do something naughty. AWD is actually on, it's just triggering the light and a ding.. As of now, it only happens every 20+ trips and turns off on vehicle shutdown.

post-10820-0-42059500-1434139932_thumb.j

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Another teaser.. i've had a lot of time to work out a few kinks tonight.. I've also completely changed the LCD Display functions so they are called from the main script, instead of some backwoods c++. It now provides realtime information that's pertinent, rather than OS related crap. From top to bottom, here are what each line mean:

1. This is the key that you use when adding a vehicle to the site. I've blurred it because if you know my key, you can add my vehicle to the site and control it. I will probably make this only appear if the vehicle hasn't been added to the site already.. after which, it will just disappear and be filled with other data. Kind of like enabling a device for use on netflix, they provide a key that you enter on the site, and the device is registered.

2. This tells you if the device has a connection to the OBD2 dongle (OBDLink LX) on the vehicle. This says down, because i'm testing it at my desk and not near my vehicle. Normally it would say Up.

3. This is the status of the engine.. if it's started or stopped. I know it doesn't seem important to display that as you'll be in the vehicle at the time, but for testing purposes, it's important for me to know that the device can actually tell if the engine is online or not.

4. This tells me if the device is able to call back to www.uhacknect.com successfully. The other day I implemented server side code to display icons on the dashboard that say if the device has talked back to us within the last 30 seconds. I will also display icons for the engine being on, and if the OBD2 dongle is connected. All this will be viewable on the dashboard page.

5. This tells me if the last metrics push to www.uhacknect.com happened successfully or if it failed.

6. This is a count of failed and successful metrics pushes to uhacknect.com. I want to know how many times we tried to push metrics but failed and how many times it succeeded.

If you can think of other useful information to display on this screen (remember, it's going to be in the center console) please let me know.

post-10820-0-45438000-1434167247_thumb.j

post-10820-0-27822000-1434172301_thumb.j

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

• 3 weeks later...

Alright, i've gotten all but an intermitent ding bug fixed with my module (happens every 50 starts). I'm going to start compressing the pi image and posting it on the web ASAP. For now, the parts list is on the webpage. I'm currently testing a cheaper elm327 device that will save everyone about 40$. If i can get that working with the same great results and security as the obdlink lx, i'll change the hardware list on the page to reflect it.

A couple of things to note.

1. the obd link between the uhacknect device and elm327 adapter is automatic. you simple hit the pair button on the elm device and then power the pi up.. it'll automatically pair and save it.
  2. adding wifi to the pi has to be done manually until i get the web interface complete, this can be done by connecting the pi to a tv via the HDMI cable and using the wifi application on the desktop. be sure to add all wifi networks you want it to connect to, so it loops through them to find one that's active.. for example, if you're at home, you may not want to use your mifi device, and instead your home wifi.. or at work, etc etc..
  3. You'll have to add the lcd to the pi to get your security code, if you choose not to get one, you'll have to ssh into the pi to get your key.. It's only $8, so i'd do it.
  4. If you want me to build your pi, I'll purchase them for you at cost to build and ship it to you. Just let me know and i'll price it out for you and give you a timeline.
  5. You'll need at least a 16gb memory card for this image. I'm still working on compressing it to work on smaller cards, but i'm not there yet, so the image will be semi large.

Not really hacking anything, pulling vehicle metrics (the same thing apps do on the android/apple market) and doing a basic replay on the start and stop command that the key fob does. now, if I was changing the way the car functioned, i'd be rolling into hacking. My plans are to take a few things the vehicle already does, and allow them to be done beyond the range of the key fob. I see nothing wrong with that :)

• 5 weeks later...

I'm still alive, I promise.. had a few major court dates to go to.. but everything is starting to level out again. I'm back on the project! I've slimmed the pi image down and will be pushing it soon. I'm working to enable the remote start buttons on the dashboard now.. rewriting the tables so that they automatically refresh with json periodically. More to follow!

Alright. The start, stop, lock and unlock buttons on the website are now working. I also ajaxified them so that the status of the vehicle and actions list automatically update every 5 seconds without having to refresh the page. I'm VERY CLOSE to releasing the image. I know i've promised several times, but i'm getting close. I need to get the backend finished before I can release it...

Added a scheduled action widget.. working on getting the backend working for that, but it will allow you to schedule actions to be performed automatically at the time you've designated.. for example, i'm nutorious for forgetting to lock my journey at night.. so i've scheduled it to lock at 10pm each night. I get out the door for work @ 445 every morning so i have it start the journey and unlock it so i can just hop in and run. After i get this feature working, it'll be one of the last important thing I have in the backlog (http://uhacknect.com/home.php?action=milestones)

post-10820-0-38648400-1438611071_thumb.p

Image is packaged up and ready to upload to the site. Also fixed the email registration issue.. it should now work for everyone. If you registered for an account previously but didn't get an email, i've gone ahead and activated your account. new users shouldn't have that issue now.

OK!!!! For the first time... the image is now online and downloadable for use. To get to it, create an account on the site and goto my profile. From there, there is a button labeled "Latest Pi Image". Click that and download it. To burn the image to an SD card of your choice, follow these instructions:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/

Once the image has been placed on the microsd/sd card, place the card back in the Pi, hit the pair button on your bluetooth obd adapter and power up the pi. It will automatically pair the device. From here, you need to VNC into the raspberry pi to configure the wireless access points that you want it to automatically connect to. Download the VNC tool of your choice for your OS and connect to the device via it's ip address. From here, there is a wifi configuration tool on the desktop that is pretty straight forward. Configure as many AP's as you need/want.

If you have the front display on your pi, that's mentioned in the hardware list on our site (and only $10), you'll have a unique key printed on the display. you'll need that when registering your pi to your vehicle on our site. If you don't have the display, PM me and i'll walk you through getting that key, as it's not appropriate to post it here.

I know there are a lot of steps, and tools required to get things working. I'm working on a web interface to configure all wifi connections so that you won't have to VNC into the device. If you have remote start on your journey, it should work straight away. If you don't have remote start for your journey, you can still track vehicle metrics from our site, while you purchase and install the remote start module for the journey (or you can just keep it to tracking metrics). In the future, i'll be adding a GPS device for tracking your vehicle, and what the metrics were for a certain location. I'm also working on an android version (to replace the pi) which will allow you to use an old cellphone with all of its hardware, to manage your vehicle.. this is a bit down the road, though.

Edited by HawtDogFlvrWtr

Wrote an app to sniff codes when they are performed between 5 and 10 times. You can see in the video that when i loop the same action (locking and unlocking the vehicle) 10 times, they filter to the top. This will also work for rolling windows and messing with just about everything in the vehicle. I'm going to release this shortly, to help those who want to know how to capture radio buttons, ac buttons, etc.

• 1 year later...

Hello, 

I was interested in setting up the Pi to control my 2014 Journey. However I had a few questions, and couldn't find any contact info on the Auto-mated website. Anyone know how to contact them. 

Thanks