Where is the oil going

MWG

Hi, I have a 2010 Journey with the 3.5 motor. A couple of months ago I notice a clicking sound from the car when my wife pulled in. I checked the oil and there was no reading on the dipstick.There was about 8000 km between the last oil change . I towed it to the dealer. They found nothing wrong and told me it was down a litre and a bit.Now at just over 3500 KM from that last oil change the reading is below the first line at the SAFE ZONE on the dipstick.The motor has around 40000 km.There are no oil spots on the driveway and no blue smoke out the tailpipe.Anyone have this problem. I'am talking with the dealership now about this problem.Would like to know if there is a motor problem because after the sales guy talks to a tech he's going to say they haven't heard of any problem. Of course.I have no idea where the oil is going,unless it's leaking into the coolant.???.Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, a gallon of oil in 5,000km is a little past 'normal'. I recall a few years back our station had a 3.5L Magnum as a summer cruiser, and it was regularly low on oil. Remember arriving at an out of town remote to a horrible ticking noise ... checked the dipstick to find no oil on it. Added a litre, and the noise stopped. Month or two later, same thing.

I discovered two things that summer. 1) I didn't care for the 3.5L engine, even if it was "high output." I am/was a fan of the 2.7L V6. It was great in my Sebring, and a first year Magnum I spent some quality time in. 2) Nobody at the radio station who drove the thing apparently gave a damn about little things like checking the fluids. Or mentioning that it had apparently been making "some kind of ticking sound" on a regular basis that whole summer. LOL Why would you lift the hood on a company vehicle, right? "Someone else" looks after that stuff.

Hope they get the problem found and fixed!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, After I started this thread ,I went to the dealer and they changed the oil and logged the mileage.They said to phone when the oil drops.And it has.I just checked it.It's in the middle of the markings.The mileage reads 48312km.The last oil change was 45566km.Thats ONLY 2746km and it's half way.That is not normal.My 2008 Caravan has the smaller V6 and does not lose any oil between oil changes.I find the oil drops more when the Journey goes on long trips.As for them changing the valve seals like mentioned above ,That won't happen.As soon as the dipstick showed no oil after 5000km and ticking was heard the engine is ruined.I'am a Chrysler employee and changing a few internal parts won't satisfy me.I've never ever heard of such a thing as a engine burning that much oil.So now I will phone the dealer and go down there and they will top it off and log the mileage.Then it starts all over again.So if I would of waited until the recommended oil change mileage of 5000km.No oil will register on the dipstick.Thanks.

• Official Dodge Support

Hi, After I started this thread ,I went to the dealer and they changed the oil and logged the mileage.They said to phone when the oil drops.And it has.I just checked it.It's in the middle of the markings.The mileage reads 48312km.The last oil change was 45566km.Thats ONLY 2746km and it's half way.That is not normal.My 2008 Caravan has the smaller V6 and does not lose any oil between oil changes.I find the oil drops more when the Journey goes on long trips.As for them changing the valve seals like mentioned above ,That won't happen.As soon as the dipstick showed no oil after 5000km and ticking was heard the engine is ruined.I'am a Chrysler employee and changing a few internal parts won't satisfy me.I've never ever heard of such a thing as a engine burning that much oil.So now I will phone the dealer and go down there and they will top it off and log the mileage.Then it starts all over again.So if I would of waited until the recommended oil change mileage of 5000km.No oil will register on the dipstick.Thanks.

MWG,

If you have not done so already, you should call the Customer Assistance Center and make them aware of the problem. They can possibly get someone from Star Center (Chrysler tech) to take a look at your case. If nothing else you should call them so they can document your issue so that if the low oil condition causes an engine failure you will have documentation of these problems already on file with the coporation.

Customer Assistance Center Canada 800-465-2001

Hi, I did already. They sent me to the dealer and they do a report on how much oil is lost and log the mileage.There is a name for this but can't think of it.I forget how many time they does this before they contact Chrysler H.D.to see what the next step is.Thanks.

Hi, I did already. They sent me to the dealer and they do a report on how much oil is lost and log the mileage.There is a name for this but can't think of it.I forget how many time they does this before they contact Chrysler H.D.to see what the next step is.Thanks.

I went to the dealer yesterday and they put in 1/2 litre.The oil level was just above the bottom line for the safe area on the dipstick.I have to go back at 1800km.Then they will decide the next move.About 2800km and they say it was down about 1/2 litre.Is this normal?

Edited by MWG

I went to the dealer yesterday and they put in 1/2 litre.The oil level was just above the bottom line for the safe area on the dipstick.I have to go back at 1800km.Then they will decide the next move.About 2800km and they say it was down about 1/2 litre.Is this normal?

if it wont void your warranty, ask them if they're willing to install an oil catch can on your engine. We had a 2010 Challenger with the 3.5 before the Journey. While more popular with the 5.7 and 6.1 engines, Challenger owners were installing the catch cans on the 3.5 and (not suprisingly) were finding a variable amount of oil being pulled into the intake. The catch can installs inline on the main EGR vacuum line to the intake. we had not oil loss on the two oil changes i did on the Challenger when we had it, so i never installed one. I do have moderate oil "loss" (consumption) on my '07 Wrangler, so I will at some point install one on the 3.8... which is a known oil consumer.

Oh.

Some Challenger owners also found that by changing the type of oil, the consumption would reduce. Most were switching over to synthetic oils... which is was i did from the start and could be the reason why i never had an oil consumption problem.

Well on Nov.3 the dealer put in they say about a litre.The mileage then was 48422km.I checked the oil today after 2 trips to the Welland area.The oil was down almost to the add oil line.That's only 1292km.It seems to lose the oil on long trips.I have a appointment on Tuesday.This should be when they decide what the next move is.Hint. Brand new motor.

Hi,I got back from the dealership where the topped off the oil .I'am going back Thursday.They are replacing the PCV valve.Why didn't they do that earlier.I was told today that Chrysler says that the engine will lose 1/2 litre oil every 600km and its within their limits of oil consumption.Oh really.That's 4 1/2 litres at 5000 km.My 2008 Grand Carvan loses no oil between oil changes.So I asked, I'am I supposed to carry a case of oil in the car to top up every 600km. No answer.So i'am asking does anybody who has a 2010 Journey on here carry a case of oil in their car to top up every 600km or so. I got nowhere for a common sense answer from the dealer and the same at Chryslers costomer service.Is their any Chrysler employees that works at the tech dept. or whereever that I can get proper information about this problem.Or fill me in ,Is this new technology.Or I'am I supposed to drive the car without checking the oil until the next oil change knowing there is no oil in the crankcase.When doing a oil change ,How much oil goes back in? 4 1/2 litres or 5.Doesn't oil keep the engine cooler by absorbing the friction heat.So when the dipstick shows no oil on it there is excess heat,which is not good for a engine.Or does Chrysler have technology where low oil makes the engine last longer.So if Chrysler says this normal for their 3.5 engine to lose that much oil then there must be something wrong with my 3.3 engine in my Caravan.It loses no oil.Oh Oh the Sarcasm is starting.But seriously to me this is NOT normal and I don't care what Chrysler Canada says.

In 1985 I bought a Plymouth Voyergeur caravan and in the first 6 months

it was using oil like in a similar fashion as your experiencing.

I was told the same cock and bull story about the consumption

by the dealership service mgr where I bought it in Missisauga.

I refused to believe it and made an appointment at a dealer

here in Burlington that afternoon.

I told the service mgr here of the oil consumption and he

immediately gave me a loaner and told me that it was a known

problem-turned out to be bad valve guides,they replaced the guides

and oil consumption stopped immediately.

I have had many Chrysler cars (all new) since that day and have never

had to top up the oil between oil changes.

If it was as simple as the PCV valve you will find raw oil pooled in your air cleaner box and lots of it.

Find another dealer the one you have now is full of crap.

Edited by bigtsr

In 1985 I bought a Plymouth Voyergeur caravan and in the first 6 months

it was using oil like in a similar fashion as your experiencing.

I was told the same cock and bull story about the consumption

by the dealership service mgr where I bought it in Missisauga.

I refused to believe it and made an appointment at a dealer

here in Burlington that afternoon.

I told the service mgr here of the oil consumption and he

immediately gave me a loaner and told me that it was a known

problem-turned out to be bad valve guides,they replaced the guides

and oil consumption stopped immediately.

I have had many Chrysler cars (all new) since that day and have never

had to top up the oil between oil changes.

If it was as simple as the PCV valve you will find raw oil pooled in your air cleaner box and lots of it.

Find another dealer the one you have now is full of crap.

Hi, Thanks for the reply. There's is no oil in the air filter box.Unless the dealership knows something I don't don't. I will check it today.If it's valve guides.That's fine, but way to late.The engine was starved of oil the first time. All internal parts that rely on the oil are damaged.Sure fix we will start with the valve guides, no more oil consumption. But when the warranty is up. I'll probably have a spun bearing, a bad camshaft.etc.Just put a new engine in. Take the old one back to the tech garage and disassemble it. Search for the problem and correct it so it doesn't happen to someone else.Learn from the experience.

Edited by MWG

• 1 month later...

I have an '00 LHS parked in my driveway with the 3.5 liter engine that doesn't use a drop of. In fact of all the cars I've ever owned going back to my first (which was a 1972 Datsun 240Z bought new - THAT was a fun car, even if it rusted out in 4 years) none has ever used enough oil to need watching and included winter 'beaters' and such.

Having said that my father had a 1999 Caddy de Ville with a Northstar engine that needed a quart of oil with every second fill up - because he never mentioned it to me I didn't realise it until long after the warranty was up or I'd have chased GM on that - and if my Journey were to consume a liter every 600 km I'd be yelling loud and clear.

One more reason to have an extended warranty - I'm still trolling for members for the buyer's group and based on what I'm reading it is almost a no lose proposition.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,Still no luck at the dealership with this problem.We made a trip to Nashville Dec.7th.Do you know whats it's like stopping for gas then buying 2 quarts of oil for a 2010 vehicle.And Chrysler says thats normal .LOL.I went to the dealership last Friday and they charged me for a oil change and now I have to start the oil consumption recording again.When the oil gets low which it is now I have to go back and they fill it up and record the mileage. I wasn't to happy.I restrained myself because it's not their fault.While I was there I talked to the general manager.He told the service manager to phone Head office and talk to a tech person.I phoned the sales rep who sold me the car on Saturday and he would remind her to phone.I haven't heard anything. I will phone tomorrow.I checked the oil today and it's down already since friday.I checked my Caravan which is getting close to the 5000km.oil change and it still at the full line.So again Chrysler says that the Journey losing oil is normal.Then there's something wrong with my 2008 Caravan.It doesn't lose any oil.Oh, the first time when I notice no oil on the dipstick the dealership told me it was down about a litre.When I bought those 2 quarts it was down just past the bottom line on the dipstick and it took almost 2 quarts to fill it.

• 5 weeks later...

I have an '09 R/T. I changed my oil last October with Amsoil full synthetic. After 3,000 miles the oil was completely burnt up and there was very little oil left on the dipstick. I thought it was odd, but ordered a different type of Amsoil full synthetic, at Amsoil's advice. I changed the oil on New Year's day of this year. I check my oil regularly... maybe not every single week, but usually a couple times a month. I checked my oil last night and I only have a sliver of oil left on the SAFE part of the dipstick, and the oil is starting to smell burnt and look dark. I've only put 2,500 miles on this oil since the oil change. This is Amsoil full synthetic, not some bargain brand dino oil. I have had tremendous results with this oil in other cars for years. I can usually get at least 15,000 miles per oil change out of this oil, and sometimes as much as 20,000. There is something seriously wrong here. It's one thing for a vehicle to burn a little oil and have to add a quart here and there. But we're not talking a quart here and there, we're talking burning through some of the best synthetic oil on the planet in a mere 2,500 miles.

Edited by Eric Meyers

• 1 month later...

I took the Journey in today for oil top up.They are still doing the oil consumption test .The dealer wants to see it one more time before Chrysler gets involved. From the last oil change to today ,The oil level was below the 1st line of the safe zone.And it took about 3900 Km to drop that low.So if I drive 5000Km which is when I get the oil changed there is no oil on the dipstick.

• 4 weeks later...

I find it amazing that your dealer or Chrysler have not done something about this by now. I'm no mechanic, but losing/using oil at that rate is alarming. My 1991 Dakota with a rear main seal leak is only down 1/2 quart every 3-4 K miles between oil changes, Something is definitely not right. I have not been doing an oil consumption test, but my Journey oil stays at the full mark between oil changes. Good luck with this. IMO, Chrysler should give you a new motor.

Peace.

Hi, The top up in March was the last of the oil consumption test. I phoned my sales person at the dealership on Monday and left a message. He has not called me back. Today I will phone him. You would think Chrysler would want that engine to find out the problem.Now that the test is over,the next step is the dealership to contact Chrysler.