5 Seater or 7 Seater

I got the 5 seater... mainly I didn't want to pay the cost for the 3rd seat. Also we have no kids now and no real use for the 3rd seat. The van definitely takes longer to heat up. Never noticed it until we got into the colder weather. Now I am wondering if there is a way to add a rear heater of some sort.

Anyone know?

• 1 year later...

We only have one child (about to be 8), and I was leaning towards the 5 seater. Wife was hell bent for the 7. Not only because one day we're probably going to need to haul around 5 of her closest tweenage friends, but because of the rear heating and AC. Spending the night with the 7 seater this week, and seeing how my daughter took to having those controls in the back, I am completely without doubt that the 7 seater is the way to go - and that the rear heat/cooling controls should just be standard on all Journeys. I didn't get in the 3rd row, but did buckle into the 2nd row to see how it was. I'm not small (6', 240lbs), and found it to be quite roomy and comfortable. And if I had to spend any sort of trip in there, I'd be bent to not have heat and air back there. And like someone else mentioned, that way you can also leave the front vents pointed where they should be.

The extra storage in the 5 seaters is really nice ... but the heating and cooling for the rear seats is totally worth the extra money. I'd spring for those even if they didn't come with a 3rd row.

I picked up the 7 seater mainly because of quick delivery with the options

I was looking for in a DJ.

Having said that I think the only reason not to go for the 7 is the additional cost,

However the plus side is the dual ac/heat and the fact that it

will have a higher trade in value.

I just keep the rear seats folded down til I need to the seating.

• 4 months later...

In my experience when I am searching for Journeys for customers is, the 5's sell more than the 7's. I find tons of 7's while searching other dealer lots and a medium supply of the 5's.

We're in a small town and I found that they sit around for quite a bit. I stopped ordering the 7's as there was so much stock available for transfers. Farmers, for the most part, don't want 3 rows. The extra cost is a factor too.

• 9 months later...

7 seater just gives better flexibility. If you don't mind the initial cost it just gives you the peace of mind that you're ready for anything from 1-7 passenger (incl. driver) without having to putt around in a van.

Style and function, the reason I bought a Journey in the first place.

• 4 months later...

I went for the 5 seater with some intrepedation in regards to not having the rear seat controls as I owned a Dodge Grand Caravan with tri-zone air. Well we got through our first summer with the Journey, and when my sister in law asked me to turn down the air conditioning, I could see that my fear of not having the rear seat AC was that, only fear. Here on the West Coast of Canada, summers are pretty mild. Most heat waves only last about 1 or 2 weeks, with the rare occassion of 3 or 4 weeks.

I can certainly understand why those owners who live in areas of extreme heat and/or cold would want the rear ac/heat. .

I can certainly understand why those owners who live in areas of extreme heat and/or cold would want the rear ac/heat. .

I have a 7 seater and I bought it off the lot that way. There is just me and my dog, so I do not need all the extra seating but I am glad I have it.. I certainly agree with double07, I live on the Canadian Prairies where the winters are very cold, the heater inthe back seat certainly is a bonus. I keep my 3 row seats folded down so I have wasted money in that sense but I do like the rear air and heat.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

I'm afraid that I got spoiled with our first 7 seater; 1996 Grand Caravan (super van by the way). We've never needed it for "family size"; just the one son and he was 26 years old in '96 and hadn't lived at home for years. We liked the space and the ability when needed to carry that many people. The few times we ever needed it, it was a life saver. The additional heating and cooling capacity and controls were a plus at first but not a major reason for us buying it, then. It was amazing how fast the car warmed up with those extra vents and heater set on high. When we needed a tow vehicle, we opted for the Jeep Commander and we chose that mainly for its tow capacity, but, also because it was a 7 seater and additional heating and cooling. When it was time to let the Commander go, the first thing we asked the dealer was what, besides the minivan, he had that would seat seven. The Journey was one of them. We ordered ours with the third row. Again, mainly for the additional heating and cooling capacity, but, also the odd instance where we actually had 7 people to move around. We've needed it twice now and when you need it, it certainly is worth the expense...to us at any rate.

Edited by webslave

I'm a bit confused with all these rear ac/heating talk, so can someone explain if you don't mind.

1. My 7 seater comes with 4 rear vents, 2 in the 2nd row and 2 in the 3rd row. Are people saying that the 5 seater doesn't come with any 2nd row vents?

2. I normally leave the 3rd row vents completely closed when there's no one in the 3rd row, should I leave them open? does it make any difference?

thanks in advance.

One of the advantages we've found with the "rear" ATC systems (the Commander had it also), is that those controls can be set separately from those in the front. In the winter, for instance, to provide for a quicker warming of the car, we set the rear controls to a much higher temperature and a higher manual setting of the fan. This produces more heat in the rear without "overheating" the front passengers or having to deal with a loud blower in the front and the net effect is that it warms the car faster and it warms it from the back to the front and it equalizes the temperature much more quickly than using the front ATC alone. Using it that way becomes less desirable if you have backseat occupants as they would get too warm for comfort, but, with just the wife and I in the front, we can afford to have the back end warmer than the front and then the front doesn't have to work as hard to maintain the temperature that she and I have set. On long trips, we've found that doing this lowers the air temperature of the front ducts...no "hot feet" from the front unit trying to work hard to fight the cold air as the air isn't that cold since it is warmed by the excess heat being produced in the back of the Journey. We played around a lot with the rear ATC when we had the Commander and are using the same "techniques" in the Journey. So, yes, besides the advantage of giving of giving those in the back of the vehicle control of their own environment, with a little "experimentation" you can augment and improve the front seat's environment by utilizing the extra venting and temperature controls.

I never really compared the 5 seater vs the 7 seater, but, I don't think that they have the second set of ATC controls, nor the extra vents that are contained in the roof and the extra floor vent in the 3rd seat area. I know in the Commander it was like that. If you didn't have the 2nd & 3rd row option ATC it only had a floor vent (one under each front seat) to provide climate control for the 2nd row passengers and it was whatever the front passenger's temperature was set for. With the 3rd row ATC, you got the separate ATC controls to independently control fan speeds and temperatures for the second and third rows and additional venting to make the separate ATC effective (it wouldn't be very effective if it didn't have enough vents in the back to over-ride the air temperature from the front cabin area...). Since I don't have a 5 seater, someone that does will probably chime in with an "accurate" vent count :)

• 2 weeks later...
We went for the 5 passenger because we wanted the extra cargo capacity plus the security covers. We rarely have other passengers so the tri-zone with extra seats wasn't worth the extra cost.

So did we.

Went with the 5 seater since I would rarely have need for the extra two seats. The added storage space in the back that is lost with the addition of the 3rd row was also not very attractive. I know a few people who drive other vehicles similar to the Journey that added the extra two seats in the back and they didn't feel it was worth it in the end.

• Official Dodge Support
Went with the 5 seater since I would rarely have need for the extra two seats. The added storage space in the back that is lost with the addition of the 3rd row was also not very attractive. I know a few people who drive other vehicles similar to the Journey that added the extra two seats in the back and they didn't feel it was worth it in the end.

CDN Geer,

Unless you're carrying around a bunch of little ones then the 7- seater is a good choice. If you don't have all the kids, the 3rd row stows fairly flat.

3rd row is small however if you're trying to use it for adults.

5 seater like most of us have said is great for the extra storage room and saves some money too by getting rid of that option!

I personally have the 7 seater but I bought this vehicle off the lot, but in my case there is just me and my Golden Retriever. I like the 7 seater because it has the rear air and heat, but that is a personal opinion. My dealer told me it has more resale value if I have the 7 seater as opposed to the 5 seater. I have the 2 back seats folded down and have never and probably never will use them, so in a way I am wasting some money.

Terry

146733255.jpg

Edited by Windancer

CDN Geer,

Unless you're carrying around a bunch of little ones then the 7- seater is a good choice. If you don't have all the kids, the 3rd row stows fairly flat.

3rd row is small however if you're trying to use it for adults.

5 seater like most of us have said is great for the extra storage room and saves some money too by getting rid of that option!

Perhaps I wasn't clear about the storage space I envisioned being lost, my apologies. I was thinking of the space the rear row of seats folds into (under the floor storage in the case of the 5 seat model). I really like what Dodge has done in terms of storage comparments on the Journey. It is something my Caliber never had and I usually carry a couple of (flat-ish) tool kits and roadside emerg kits that will fit perfectly in the Journey compartment. They currently just float around the back of the vehicle.