2012 Journey SXT

leafsby1

I am looking into buying a used 2012 Dodge Journey SXT (82,000KM) 3.6L  I’ve read horror stories via google search about camshaft, heads, transmission shuddering...the list goes on. I just wanted to get a few honest opinions.

i currently have a 2010 Pontiac vibe never had one issue and is the most reliable vechicle I have ever owned. However me being 6’3” I need to drive from the back seat along with my wife being pregnant with our fourth child we need something bigger, I am not ready to go the soccer mom stage just yet with the minivan, the 7 seater SXT looks decent. 

Edited by leafsby1

Ahh...the internet. It's got to be true then. lol....hardly "horror"stories" there. More like inconveniences. Run the same search for any other vehicle make/model. Yes, things can go wrong on any vehicle. I'm on my second DJ. Nothing major out of either. Get an extended warranty, it will pay for itself in the long run (Factory warranty just for Bram)

I believe this used car dealership only uses Lubrico 3rd party warranty, I have been down the lubrico warranty road before and they try their hardest to not cover warranty work. 

Also I have read numerous reports of the engine just dying while driving, if that is a common issue it would be something I would like to avoid driving with a newborn. 

Edited by leafsby1

It is hardly "common". More common complaints are about maps getting corrupted or HVAC blowing hot on one side, cold on the other, clunking front end and transmission noises, which are mainly annoyances rather than "leave you stranded on the side of the road" issues. Sure, there are other things that can go wrong, as with any vehicle. Look into a warranty provided by your bank if you are financing, or look into other warranty companies. You are by no means bound to using the used car dealerships warranty company. 

i had a 2011 ( a few problems with the undersized brakes) had 70 k on it liked it so much i traded it for my 2014 crossroad have had one small oil sender problem at 45 k but my  extended warranty took care of that (100. ded) plan on driving it till i pass on or it does. that said if your so worried about things you have read you might want to get something else. just remember you usually only hear the bad stuff about things and the good praise usually goes unsaid. good luck on what ever you decided.

I have a 2011 DJ R/T.  It has been a great vehicle.  Had the cylinder 2 head issue.  Chrysler fixed it without issue in 2011.  My DJ still runs as smooth as the day I brought it home after 80k miles.  The 3.6 is a great engine.  The transmission does shudder occasionally, but that is a characteristic not a problem in my experience.  I replaced my brake rotors and pads, as warping rotors was a problem.  No problems with brakes or braking power with new rotors and pads.   That brake issue was corrected by Chrysler in the 2012.5 models.   I don't believe the DJ uconnect is plagued by  more electrical/tech issues than any other vehicle.  Vehicles have lots of tech nowadays.  There are some uconnect gremlins.  Mine have been very minor.  The rear suspension bushings on my DJ squeak occasionally.  The suspension works fine.  Some may say this is a problem.   Honestly, the only "problem" that I have currently is a rattle that I get at speed on the passenger side of the windshield.  Minor.  It pulls at my OCD strings, though.  I can't track it down.  

I love the utility of the DJ without being a huge vehicle.  The floor storage bins are awesome, the cargo area is pretty large even with the third row up.  I must admit, my third row has never seen the light of day as I carry lots of gear.   I got 27.3 mpg on my most recent trip at approx 65 mph through the mountains of Colorado.   My DJ will usually get 22-26 mpg at 75-80 mph depending on the winds.  My DJ does not like headwinds.  I usually have bikes or boards on the roof which affects gas mileage.  The 3.6 has plenty of passing power.  The manual mode shifting makes downshifting for power easy.   

I'm sure I forgot some stuff. . .   That's my honest opinion and experience.

Peace.

10 minutes ago, redtomatoman said:

I have a 2011 DJ R/T.  It has been a great vehicle.  Had the cylinder 2 head issue.  Chrysler fixed it without issue in 2011.  My DJ still runs as smooth as the day I brought it home after 80k miles.  The 3.6 is a great engine.  The transmission does shudder occasionally, but that is a characteristic not a problem in my experience.  I replaced my brake rotors and pads, as warping rotors was a problem.  No problems with brakes or braking power with new rotors and pads.   That brake issue was corrected by Chrysler in the 2012.5 models.   I don't believe the DJ uconnect is plagued by  more electrical/tech issues than any other vehicle.  Vehicles have lots of tech nowadays.  There are some uconnect gremlins.  Mine have been very minor.  The rear suspension bushings on my DJ squeak occasionally.  The suspension works fine.  Some may say this is a problem.   Honestly, the only "problem" that I have currently is a rattle that I get at speed on the passenger side of the windshield.  Minor.  It pulls at my OCD strings, though.  I can't track it down.  

I love the utility of the DJ without being a huge vehicle.  The floor storage bins are awesome, the cargo area is pretty large even with the third row up.  I must admit, my third row has never seen the light of day as I carry lots of gear.   I got 27.3 mpg on my most recent trip at approx 65 mph through the mountains of Colorado.   My DJ will usually get 22-26 mpg at 75-80 mph depending on the winds.  My DJ does not like headwinds.  I usually have bikes or boards on the roof which affects gas mileage.  The 3.6 has plenty of passing power.  The manual mode shifting makes downshifting for power easy.   

I'm sure I forgot some stuff. . .   That's my honest opinion and experience.

Peace.

Thank you for your 100% honest opinion. 

• 1 year later...

Granted this is an old thread, but I have the 2012 DJ SXT (4cyl).  I have heard great things from other owners about their own DJ.  I wanted to return mine after 3 weeks!  My kids were young, so I kept it.  It is paid off, which is great.  I am stubborn and don't want to get into a car payment. 

Soooooo... I have complaints which have been odd problems since day one (bought it with 12 miles, and still have it at 110K miles)  I have a feeling I got the one that was tossed off the back of the transporter, haha.  The Dealership made excuses from the tires wearing (on my 4th set, got smart and purchased different tires), the black bumpers getting white spots after 6 months (must be the sun),  tire pressure sensors failing after 2 1/2 years, to the cruise control not working (because tp light is on?),  and the driver power window contact has to be jiggled for the window to go up. Fixable, yes.  But it is my time and my money.

I feel the car has too many blind spots.