Back end kicks out when going over bumps

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2014 DJ SXT a few months ago and absolutely love it!  It has so many options on it that each day I find something new on it that it can do, but at the same time, learning how it drives.  It came with the 19" upgrade package and the max PSI on these Michelin's are 51 lbs......I put in 42.  

What I have noticed is that when I go bumps, the back end bounces off to the side a wee bit.  A mechanic had told me that the DJ's are known for some sort of back link/bushings (can't remember exactly) that wear out that possibly cam cause this, but he quickly checked it and said everything was solid.

If this is true, is there too much air in the tires to cause this?

The proper tire pressure is 36 psi all around.  The number on the tire is the absolute max pressure to meet the load factors - at the pressure you are running, it must be like driving on tires of steel - they have little 'give'.

I suggest you would probably benefit from a read of the owner's manual - they are available for download.  Just google "2014 dodge journey owner's manual"

11 hours ago, n3v3rtool8 said:

Hi everyone,

I purchased a 2014 DJ SXT a few months ago and absolutely love it!  It has so many options on it that each day I find something new on it that it can do, but at the same time, learning how it drives.  It came with the 19" upgrade package and the max PSI on these Michelin's are 51 lbs......I put in 42.  

What I have noticed is that when I go bumps, the back end bounces off to the side a wee bit.  A mechanic had told me that the DJ's are known for some sort of back link/bushings (can't remember exactly) that wear out that possibly cam cause this, but he quickly checked it and said everything was solid.

If this is true, is there too much air in the tires to cause this?

Maybe slow down a bit when you go over bumps??

• 1 year later...

Check your rear tires for wear on the inside.  I had the same problem and it was the lateral arm ( look like dog bones) bushings were gone.  Quite literally gone, nothing left of them.  I'm actually on this forum to try to find how to remove the lower one.  Good luck.

had problems with  my rear tires wearing on the inside as well,,, and it was the rear upper non-adj control arms that were bad i had aftermarket adjustable  control arms installed and it solved the problem amazon has them for around 100 each and to install them is only 2 bolts each side but then you need a 4 wheel alignment done