Thermostat

miran1981

Dears,

I have dodge journey 2013 3.6v, I am from hot area,. can I change thermostat to lower Degree or  not ?,

I found this one, if capable for dodge journey not make problem ?

https://www.rippmods.com/collections/maintenance-replacement-parts/products/2012-2016-pentastar-180-deg-thermostat

your assistance is highly appreciated.

thanks

6 hours ago, Locosiete said:

From my experience running without one will cause it to over heat since the fluid never sit in one spot long enough for the fan to cool it.

So in other words all the antifreeze keeps building in temperature until it over heats where normally once it reaches it temp the thermostat opens cooling the engine until it reaches it's desired temp where it closes than cooling the antifreeze in the radiator and restarting the cycle. If i am wrong please correct me but to the best of my knowledge that is the general jist of how the coolant system works.

Its the opposite.  Running without a thermostat, the cooling system is always open.  The cooling system works by circulating when the thermostat is open.  Circulating fluid takes heat from the engine and it gets cooled in the radiator.  The thermostat is closed when the engine is cold to prohibit circulation and allow the engine to warm up faster.  The thermostat will open at a predetermined temperature, begin circulation, and allow the cooling system to maintain that temperature.  Running without one just inhibits the engine from warming up quickly on initial start.  Keep in mind, a faulty thermostat that does not open will cause overheating because the fluid will never circulate through the engine.  

Peace.

so you are saying the purpose of the thermostat is to cool also??

I learned something new today I guess always thought it was to quickly help get the engine temp. up to a pre determined level to activate sensors and provide heat to the cabin.

Ok.  I'm not a mechanic.  Just sayin.  

BUT. . .  

Junior102 is correct.  A thermostat regulates the flow of coolant through the engine and radiator.  A faulty thermostat condition depends on whether it is stuck open or closed.  A stuck open thermostat will allow coolant to circulate through the radiator and the engine will not overheat (assuming all other cooling components are working).  A stuck open thermostat will not allow quick engine warmup.   A thermostat stuck closed will cause engine overheating as the coolant WILL NOT be able to flow through the radiator and engine.  When an engine is cold the thermostat will be closed.   When an engine is at operating temperature the thermostat will be open.  That's basic engine cooling 101.  

Peace. 

i guess no one understands how the thermostat works lol. if its stuck open or removed, the engine will never overheat. on a hot day once operating temp is reached the thermostat will not close again until the engine is shut off. if its during winter the thermostat may close while driving due to so much cold air on the radiator.
also once the coolant passes through the radiator there is a significant drop in temp as it passes through especially with the cooling fans on.

Changing the thermostat to a lower opening temp will be fine, usually around 180 is good. The entire purpose of the thermostat is for quick warm up to operating temp and that is it, nothing more.