Just Traded '12 DJ SXT for '14 DJ Limited

Mark Lee

Just traded my 2012 SXT in and bought a chrysler certified 2014 DJ Limited, got almost everything i wanted in a car and couldnt see paying more for a 2015 or 2016 when the features are the same.  Also went with the lifetime maximum care warranty from Chrysler as well so not sure if i will be getting rid of this DJ any time soon.  Other than going from 17" wheels to 19" in the 2014 is there anything else that would have changed to allow such a smoother ride?

Not sure what would have changed, but Big congrats on the new ride!  I got a 2016 Crossroads plus and couldn't be happier.  I nearly purchased a 2014 crossroads almost exactly the same (with a few more options) but the crappy dealership sold it out from under me after we made the deal.  Setup to sign papers the next day, then got a call they sold it.  Anyways, I'm happy now since I've got nearly full warranty with the 2016.  Peace of mind I guess.

As far as ride goes, tires can make or brake the entire feeling you have for a car.  If the tires are crappy, then the ride will be too.  Something to consider.  Being that it's certified, my guess is you won't need tires for a while but something to consider down the road.

i had been looking at a 2015 R/T as well but book value for the 14 limited was better with very similar options, only thing i kind of wish i would have gotten was nav but since it seems to be pretty simple to swap out then I may just wait a little while to do that.  

8 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

If your DJ is nav ready, the dealer can install it for $495.  Its just a "software" update.

No.  He can't.  That's for a different radio, the 8.4AN that we don't have in the DJ. 

8 hours ago, Mark Lee said:

I have the RE2 radio so it needs to be the RB5 for NAV.  and the bluetooth pairing is a pain in the ass, i dont understand why it has so many issues, but ive learned to deal with it so far lol

Never had any issues whatsoever with Bluetooth - you must have an iPhone.

And Nav-wise mine has never acted up, though if it does not only do I have a spare, I also know how to fix it.

Edited by bramfrank
Dyslexia

the nav units seam to be talked about here quite a lot,dont think it would be worth the effort or money to change it out. congrats on your purchase also on the extended warranty good choice on that. i have a 2014 and about 53k had a small problem while on a vacation had to take it in to a dodge dealership they provided me a free rental car and fixed my journey no problem with just my $100. ded, i have the max life and miles on my crossroad also.

10 minutes ago, bramfrank said:

No.  He can't.  That's for a different radio, the 8.4NA that we don't have in the DJ. 

Never had any issues whatsoever with Bluetooth - you must have an iPhone.

And Nav-wise mine has never acted up, though if it does not only do I have a spare, I also know how to fix it.

you are correct about the iphone, its a bit buggy but i manage with it.  still all together a better infotainment system than what I had in the '21 SXT with the 4 inch touch

1 hour ago, bramfrank said:

No.  He can't.  That's for a different radio, the 8.4NA that we don't have in the DJ. 

Thats not what the dealership told me but it wouldn't be the first time the dealership was wrong.  Mine is "nav ready" so they say and said $495 to install it.  I'll buy a portable garmin for $100 with life time updates before spending that if it was even an option.

Edited by Steven Harshbarger

40 minutes ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

Thats not what the dealership told me but it wouldn't be the first time the dealership was wrong.  Mine is "nav ready" so they say and said $495 to install it.  I'll buy a portable garmin for $100 with life time updates before spending that if it was even an option.

If you wanted to have some fun at the risk of spending $500, call them on it - the Nav is a $1200 option (at order time.  The radio alone as a part retails for $2,200) and the integration is very nice to have, not to mention that the RB5 is unique in that it supplements GPS with dead reckoning navigation, so it doesn't get lost in parking structures and tunnels or in downtown 'RF canyons'.

I am aware how nice it is to have integrated.  My daily summer driver is an 2013 SRT Dodge Charger with nav.  The nav in it is far above any other makers nav that I've ever seen.  I inquired because it's a nice feature to have, but for me its not a must have feature.  Maybe I'll push the dealership on the topic though to see where it goes.

Edited by Steven Harshbarger

2 hours ago, Steven Harshbarger said:

I am aware how nice it is to have integrated.  My daily summer driver is an 2013 SRT Dodge Charger with nav.  The nav in it is far above any other makers nav that I've ever seen.  I inquired because it's a nice feature to have, but for me its not a must have feature.  Maybe I'll push the dealership on the topic though to see where it goes.

If you get unlock codes you can swap the nav between the Charger and the Journey, though the model in yours is probably a 2012 series without traffic support (which you'd need to subscribe to if yours was a later version that supports it).

It IS an option.  Swapping takes all of 5 minutes on the DJ - how much more can it take on the Charger?

Once plugged in, when you power it up for the first time after a swap it will ask for the unlock code (which is a function of the radio serial number and the vehicle's VIN) and away you go.  When you want to swap back you use the code you'd have gotten for your nav radio when installed in the Charger.

If you wanted to use the non-Nav radio in the Charger when the navigator is in the DJ you'd need codes for it as well.

Edited by bramfrank