Journey discussion VS other vehicles

04redmach1

Well, I am in a pickle. I am going to make this short and sweet. Monday we went to look at suv's. I got a bad back and the car is killing me gettin in and out.

So I am 100% ford guy and looked at the escape/mariner. Everything was great about it except 2nd row room.

Went to honda, and they suck. CRV is cheap and if you are over 5 foot 9, this is or any other honda isn't for you. They offer no room for driver in leg room, and CHEAP interior. Who says honda is top notch needs to be shot. Pilot had ok interior quality but eww on others.

Then off to Dodge. Was interested in the journey. First impressions was very nice and bigger than thought. It is larger thn expected and nifty with all compartments and 3rd row seating with temp zones. Impressive to say the least. Sat nice but didn't get to drive it, will drive today though. Now on to the bad. HORRIBLE interior quality, and sadly worse than Honda. Everything was just cheap interior wise. The 3.5 liter only has 235 hp. That are my only complaints. It is a tough choice in what we are lookig for though. I perfer a flex, but we can't afford that at the moment. I had an Edge and loved it bar none, but again little out of our price range.

So, we are at the Escape/Mariner or Journey. I can get a 2009 Journey that was dealer demo with 2k miles and is an R/T for only $21,900. cheaper than the escape for sure, but the interior quality scares me. I see problems on this board with things breaking as well. So I want to know how many are having issues with car period. Interior, exterior, and power train.

IMHO, the journey has more front leg room, and if you have a bad back, it's easier to swing your legs in and out with less back effort.

The driver's seat is also wider. The Escape is a bit higher so it may require you to lift yourself a bit more to get in. The Escape is more truck like while the Journey is a true cross-over...higher than a sedan, lower than a truck.

IMHO, the journey has more front leg room, and if you have a bad back, it's easier to swing your legs in and out with less back effort.

The driver's seat is also wider. The Escape is a bit higher so it may require you to lift yourself a bit more to get in. The Escape is more truck like while the Journey is a true cross-over...higher than a sedan, lower than a truck.

i'm a ford guy too.....I was stuck in a similar situation. I had my choice of a Susuki SL7, CRV, Equanox or the Journey....i went with the journey only because of the kill deal i got. It was a buy back from a bankrupt dealer.....so i got it with only 8 miles on the ODO for 18k$.

That was my selling point....

But i like the interior of the journey, with the exception of the raido controls, i thought it wa a better layout for the stering wheel controls, the climate conrols and the dash display. alos love the 3rd row seats, come in handy more than once.

Also, since i have a daughter, the compartments that the journey come in handy for storeing both her and my stuff.

The second row seat floor coolers also come in handy when going on long trips and picnicing...its a brezz to drain them to ans the inner liner comes out.

For all the cheap interier, the versitility offset it for me.

my only quipe, the tires....its a werid one off size for the 19's, so theres not a lot of brands out there. Also, wish they were a slightly better quality compound.

When I was shopping around, I knew that I wanted a cross-over but when it came to comparing on a pricepoint, the Dodge Journey was the cheapest and gave, in my opinion, many more options. I looked from the Nissan Rogue, Ford Escape, Mazda Tribute, Ford Edge, Honda CR-V and the Toyota Rav-4. Bottom line I think I got the best bang for the buck.

That is where I am too, price wise. Dealer has a demo with 2500 miles on it, 2009 R/T for $21,900. Kinda hard to beat, but to go from great interior quality to decent is tough lol. I wish I could afford an Edge again because that was by far the best 5 seater crosover on the market IMO. We got 28 mpg on highway @ 60 mph. The ride was great and powerful. But oh well haha.

So that is my biggest deal. Awesome price for the car, just worried the engine will last longer than the car if you know what I mean. I will be test driving in a few so we shall see what happens.

I looked at both the Ford Edge and the Journey (among others). Like many here, the deal was the seller. I have a 2009 with the V6 R/T 3rd row seats, power seats, leather, etc. When I drove the Edge, it road like my 2000 Durango. The interior looked nicer, but not for what the price was (around 31,000$). When I drove the Journey, I thought I was in a sedan! What a sweet ride. I also have back problems and let me tell you, after 12,500 miles and several long trips, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I just love this suv. I have FWD and havent had a problem in the snow, rain, or anything construction could throw at me. My last trip I was averaging 28 mpg! Is the interior a little plastic? You bet. Can I live with it? You bet. I have had one problem with the interior, the cold zone door wouldn't open. It was replaced and that is the ONLY problem I've had. Did replace the brake pads about 1,000 miles ago as they were getting low. That seems to be a common complaint.

Each person is different and has different requirments, but for the price (22,000) it's one hell of a car! Just my 2 cents. Enjoy!

:yup:

04redmach1... i was worried about my Journeys interior , but seeing as i DID NOT want a van or an other pick up (already have one of those) i had little choice as mainly Euro boxes or Jp 7 seaters in the UK... but i use my Journey as a working vehicle,and as a Joiner it has had woods of various lengths etc in it, on it, and almost under it! , even furniture i have made..... the portable saw table fits fab in the back... along with all the tool boxes, and i have staff who when helping load it don't seem to care its the bosses vehicle... but apart from the saw dust in the rear carpets the interior is holding up brilliant so far with out a mark on it... the interior is fine, just a shame ive had a few probs with mine, but according to Dodge UK HQ, all sorted now....

but then thats what warranties are for!!! i get mine back tomorrow ... and will be going :shift::shift:

My buddy has a Durango and our Edge was nothing like that. Was very smooth and relaxing.

Well, the ride was good and steering was not sloppy. I do not however like the Kumho tires, they have a weird off balance to them and Kumho always has a weird wear to them.

Othr than that the car is fine. Like I said, price is right on considering an R/T for $21,900 brand new basically. Can't argue with price my friend. Just wish horsepower was a little high as well. 235 is low for a 3.5 IMO with the giving weight. How many miles on your brake pads for changing?????

Yes, I am picky when it comes to cars hehe.

Well, I am worried now. I look through all the issues just YOU guys have posted with breaks, sunroof leaking and many other issues. Not many of these are on the roads but so many issues with everyone here it sounds like. I am thinking this may not be a smart investment. i have a short temper and if I have many problems and dealer try to stiff me, I will run this bitch through their front doors.

Maybe I will stick with my fords, because this has really got me worried actually. Is there ANYONE on here who ahs not had a SINGLE issue big or small?

Is there ANYONE on here who ahs not had a SINGLE issue big or small?

Don't forget that when people come on these forums they come to vent and find solutions to problems. The Sunroof leaking is not an acceptable defect and should never happen but assembly lines are not perfect. As for the brakes, I never come to expect much from OEM. I always use what comes with the car but the first chance I get I swap them out for ceramic pads and cross-drilled rotors.

I got my Journey one week and a half ago and let me tell you I am impressed but I am still in the awe period.

One of the gripes I also have currently is there is usually a waiting list for parts. Not just the Journey but the whole Dodge line-up. The dealer has had my car for almost two weeks. Waiting on parts. They have the headliner taken out and will be replacing everything that is related to the sunroof. Other problems with mine is the crossbars on the roof rack. When I slide the rear bar all the way to the back it becomes very tight. It spread the rails out a little bit. Also had a supposed loose screw that cut a wire and disabled all video.

On the bright side. I like how it rides. Could be a little firmer for me. Still very good. A set of different springs would take care of that. The Journey fits our family needs perfect.

Yes, most people come here to vent and find out issues. But I have joined many forums with no issues just to chat. This vehicle no matter how much you want to defend it because you own one, isn't a great buy. When I buy a vehicle, I buy a complete vehicle. Small problems every now and then are ok but with my fords, the largest problem I had was my 3rd gear syncro going out in my stang once. It was fixed end of story.

If I bought this vehicle for at least $25K new; I would have to pray my roof doesn't leak, change the brakes and assembly, make sure not to press my interior fuctions hard so they didn't break, and hope the car itself last as long as engine. I am buying a car to drive, not re-mod it.

Sorry, but this has turned me away from the journey period. I would rather get a smaller suv such as the escape/mariner and keep my quality interior, performance, and brakes. A lot of people are seeing 37 mpg in the 4 cylinder escape as well so this will be nice. At least this way I won't have to worry while I drive. I really appreciate the info thos forum has given me, without this I would have jumped and been very pissed off and running a journey into a dodge dealership.

Well, here is the deal. I said screw it and for the room giving it a try. The dealer is going to sign a contract I wrote out as well. If I have the FIRST brake issue in 20k miles they will change to aftermarket parts. I found one of the last 09's left so I will get the lifetime warranty. This one is white with 3rd row and roof. Don't car for roof, but it has it. I will let you know a VERY unbias review as time goes on. I may have them sign a contract on return after a few issues. I just don't want to be stuck with a lemon that doesn't qualify for lemon and looses value like a Geo.

So I am taking the plunge guys, I guess I will find out. What kinda MPG's are ya geting out of FWD 3.5?

Well, here is the deal. I said screw it and for the room giving it a try. The dealer is going to sign a contract I wrote out as well. If I have the FIRST brake issue in 20k miles they will change to aftermarket parts. I found one of the last 09's left so I will get the lifetime warranty. This one is white with 3rd row and roof. Don't car for roof, but it has it. I will let you know a VERY unbias review as time goes on. I may have them sign a contract on return after a few issues. I just don't want to be stuck with a lemon that doesn't qualify for lemon and looses value like a Geo.

So I am taking the plunge guys, I guess I will find out. What kinda MPG's are ya geting out of FWD 3.5?

MPG: I see about high 18's to 20's city. ANd 23-25 higway ...Conservative driving

Those numbers sound right. I have the AWD 3.5 and on long highway trips, I can average 23-24. My normal commute averages around 19, but lots of hills.

I personally have had very little in the way of problems. Brakes started squaling around 18K, but they still had some meat on them, so I drove conservatively and held out until about 22k to replace them. I just replaced the tires at 40k. I wound up buying the Kumho's from Tire Rack and had a local shop mount them. Tire Rack had 2 speed ratings available, well, I never exceed either rating, so I went with the cheaper one, $109 each.

Other than that, I have only done regular maintenance, oil changes, etc. So, overall, I'm pleased with my Journey.

My buddy has a Durango and our Edge was nothing like that. Was very smooth and relaxing.

Well, the ride was good and steering was not sloppy. I do not however like the Kumho tires, they have a weird off balance to them and Kumho always has a weird wear to them.

Othr than that the car is fine. Like I said, price is right on considering an R/T for $21,900 brand new basically. Can't argue with price my friend. Just wish horsepower was a little high as well. 235 is low for a 3.5 IMO with the giving weight. How many miles on your brake pads for changing?????

Yes, I am picky when it comes to cars hehe.

I have had my journey for 5 months and have 18000 miles on it. I did not like the plastic look inside so I put a wood dash kit on it. I have black interior and my wood is deep cherry wood grain. the kit also did the shifter,door handle area. this took the journey to a classy look inside. I also added chrome items outside and it is a real head turner. the only problem I have had is the storage mirror deal up ft. other than that no problems. I also looked at the edge but it was just over priced for what you get. I had a pacifica before and it was also a great car. I did not want to sell it and get a journey but my wife liked it. this car has earned my respect because I looked for reasons why I would not like it. I will be adding chrome grill inserts and chrome mirror covers soon. the life time warranty was a sell point because of how many miles we drive. I'm not a small guy and the 2 long road trips we took this summer was hurt free. I think it is worth buying.

I have had my journey for 5 months and have 18000 miles on it. I did not like the plastic look inside so I put a wood dash kit on it. I have black interior and my wood is deep cherry wood grain. the kit also did the shifter,door handle area. this took the journey to a classy look inside. I also added chrome items outside and it is a real head turner. the only problem I have had is the storage mirror deal up ft. other than that no problems. I also looked at the edge but it was just over priced for what you get. I had a pacifica before and it was also a great car. I did not want to sell it and get a journey but my wife liked it. this car has earned my respect because I looked for reasons why I would not like it. I will be adding chrome grill inserts and chrome mirror covers soon. the life time warranty was a sell point because of how many miles we drive. I'm not a small guy and the 2 long road trips we took this summer was hurt free. I think it is worth buying.

Journey is by far a better price, but the Edge has better interior hands down. You pay for that with Ford as well sadly. I do agree that the Edge is over priced tho :(

• 2 weeks later...

We have had no issues at all. Bought the car about a year ago for $18k (SE with Family Package) and have put 13.5k miles on it. Only been to the dealer for oil changes and while there they did two TSBs. And although the deal seemed stellar, a few days after we had bought it the local Ford dealer had the Edge SE on sale for around $19.5k for about 2 weeks. I felt a bit stupid at first because for just a little more we could have gotten a car with a V6. So I sat in an Edge. I am pretty tall and I didn't like the way the windshield sloped. I didn't try different seating positions but with the way the seat was I didn't like it. Too close to the roof. Also, other than the instrument panel I like the interior of the Journey better. Must be personal taste. I never like how many buttons Ford puts onto their dash (and don't like the look and feel of their buttons; had a new Thunderbird a while back). I always find the Mopar layouts a lot more functional and practical (two outlets in the front (well located), plenty of room in the front for phones, MP3 player, drinks, etc). And if you don't get leather on an Edge I don't find there to be a world of difference in interiors. We love the YES seats and how easy we can clean them. Also, the Dodge came with a 6 disc CD/DVD player with 6 speakers. The Ford did not. We have used the car for hauling several things including a bathroom cabinet. Not sure it would have fit in the Edge. About the Escape: friend of mine has the first gen and I can tell you the Journey does have quite a bit more backseat room. The only complaint we had in the beginning was the power of the 4 cylinder. But the engine got better after about 3000 miles and now feels adequate. Especially around town. And we like the ride quality. Took it to Yosemite and it rode and handled just fine.

Also when I learned about the Edge last year I checked out two Ford Edge forums and there were sure some very concerning complaints. I don't remember but there were some about either the transmission or suspension where the TSB was very complicated and the owners didn't feel comfortable that their dealer could perform it. But I assume that is an issue of the past.

Don't get me wrong. Overall I think the Edge is a very attractive car and it looks like the Ford 3.5L V6 is a pretty good engine. The Dodge V6 has been around for a while and will one day be replaced by their new Pentastar engine. Everyone has different needs. I wanted a cheap car with cheap tires and not much to it since our other car is a Magnum SRT8. Brakes, tires, etc. on that car are expensive enough :-) So did you get the white R/T? And if so how do you like it so far?

I have found with all the Ford vehicles I have test driven over the various years that their ride is very harsh and does not compare favourably with other cars/suv's. Before purchasing the Journey R/T, I first took out an Escape, which neither the wife nor I liked. We then decided to take out an Edge, thinking it would have a much better ride, wrong. I found both Ford's had a much harsher ride than the Dakota I had at the time. I like the look and finish of the Fords but I could not live with that ride.

I find the Journey has a very nice ride and is extremely quiet. I also have become quite fond of the interior but I do think that the beige interior I have is far superior to the usual gray/black found in most Journeys

I have found with all the Ford vehicles I have test driven over the various years that their ride is very harsh and does not compare favourably with other cars/suv's. Before purchasing the Journey R/T, I first took out an Escape, which neither the wife nor I liked. We then decided to take out an Edge, thinking it would have a much better ride, wrong. I found both Ford's had a much harsher ride than the Dakota I had at the time. I like the look and finish of the Fords but I could not live with that ride.

I find the Journey has a very nice ride and is extremely quiet. I also have become quite fond of the interior but I do think that the beige interior I have is far superior to the usual gray/black found in most Journeys

I didn't have any issues with my Edge, i was very impressed by the weight the suspension handled. We towed a 14 or 16 foot trailer with our couch, fridge, and big shit when we moved over an hour away with no issues. Pretty sure over tounge weight, but its all good. The sport suspension on my fusion however is a little tighter, and for a 4 door does handle well, the ride is rough. The ride of the journey wasnt bad during test drive, rode great and lil noise at 80 mph.

I tested the 09 Ford Escape, Ford Freestyle, 08 Hyundai Sante Fe and Chevy Equinox 08. I went with the Journey because it was the best fit and price for a family of 4. Escape is small, Freestyle is too big and cost to much. I almost would have bought the Sante Fe but I felt car sick after driving it and it had too much road noise and you feal all the bumps. The equinox had smooth ride, power and enough room for my two little ones, cargo could fit a double stroller. i would have bought the equinox if they reduced the price to $15k OTD. Dodge offered me the 09 SXT 3rd row, 2 convience pkgs for $15.8 OTD that was with an old trade in. The Journey feals like better quality and has better interior features then any of the vehicles I listed accept Freestyle. Overall I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

I tested the 09 Ford Escape, Ford Freestyle, 08 Hyundai Sante Fe and Chevy Equinox 08. I went with the Journey because it was the best fit and price for a family of 4. Escape is small, Freestyle is too big and cost to much. I almost would have bought the Sante Fe but I felt car sick after driving it and it had too much road noise and you feal all the bumps. The equinox had smooth ride, power and enough room for my two little ones, cargo could fit a double stroller. i would have bought the equinox if they reduced the price to $15k OTD. Dodge offered me the 09 SXT 3rd row, 2 convience pkgs for $15.8 OTD that was with an old trade in. The Journey feals like better quality and has better interior features then any of the vehicles I listed accept Freestyle. Overall I am completely satisfied with the purchase.

I think the reason most buy the Journey is due to the price difference. It is the better buy or sure, but they do cut cost by using cheaper parts. I was going to get it, but in reality really don't NEED the rrom at the moment and this vehicle will be used for company as well with a good bit of travel so I have actually decided on the Escape myself. Most are gettin mid 30's MPG on highway and rides great. The leather seats feel very good as well. I would wait till the refreshen the Journey before I would look at one, way too many issues on first runs and brakes seem not to worry the manufacturer much so it seems safety isn't HUGE for them after crash test.