Whats my DJ trying to tell me?

Sometimes when exiting I hit the armrest door lock before shutting the door and as I'm walking away I get 3 short honks. It doesn't do it every time but its done it enough that set me to wondering.
I figure its trying to tell me something but I am not fluent in DJ yet.

Model is 2015 SXT.

I have std anti-theft system.  When I lock it with the little black button on the door handle, the horn sounds once..  I believe 3 beeps indicates that the key FOB is still in the car.  In the two years that I have owned my DJ, I have never locked it with the lock switch on the arm rest.

Edited by dhh3

It will do a similar thing when you get in , took a while to realize what was happening.

Get in leave the door open - lock the door with the lock button then close the door.

Mine would beep 3 times when I did this.

Edited by bigtsr

It has nothing whatsoever to do with the antitheft system.  It is the 'we won't let you leave your FOB in the vehicle' notification.  That system will give three honks ad unlock the door if the ignition is off and you try to lock the doors with the FOB inside.  The receiver's a bit on the sensitive side and it sometimes detects the FOB even when you are outside the vehicle.

All this is, of course in the user manual.

"

Preventing Inadvertent Locking Of Passive Entry RKE

Transmitter In Vehicle

To minimize the possibility of unintentionally locking a

Passive Entry RKE transmitter inside your vehicle, the

Passive Entry system is equipped with an automatic door

unlock feature which will function if the ignition is OFF

If one of the vehicle doors is open and the door panel

switch is used to lock the vehicle, once all open doors

have been closed the vehicle checks the inside and

outside of the vehicle for any valid Passive Entry RKE

transmitters. If one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry RKE

transmitters is detected inside the vehicle, and no other

valid Passive Entry RKE transmitters are detected outside

the vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically

unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times

(on the third attempt ALL doors will lock and the Passive

Entry RKE transmitter can be locked in the vehicle).

bramfrank, do you know what the difference is between the std and optional anit-theft system?  I have the round red indicator on my dash that comes on when I start the car, but it does not blink when I lock the doors.

I always get out of the car first and then as the wife gets out she locks the car using the door button lock then when she shuts the door and starts to walk away i am usually about 10 -15 feet away from the car with the key fob and there is no key fob in the car and my wife doesn't have her key fob with her its at home  sometimes the car will beep 3 times,when it first happened i talked to the dealership they checked it out and came to me and said well it works okay now and then handed me a piece of paper that said blah blah blah about the system and that they dont know why it happened BUT they have no widespread happening of this happening to other people, i just looked at them and said if you havent had a lot of complaints of it happening then how come you have a letter explaining  the problem but no solution to it on a chrysler letter head he just looked at and said hmm i dont know?   LOL     so since they cant figure it out and i try not to sweat the small things and since it only happens every so often i dont worry about it,   dhh3 i believe you have the standard one like i do on this crossroad, my 2011 had the blinking red dot and i got an extra discount on my insurance for anti theft that i lost when i traded for my crossroad....

Edited by 2late4u

I'm in Canada, so the features and options differ from the US.

First of all there's only one security package.  'Standard' is 'none'.  I never looked for, or noticed a red flashing light, but manual doesn't mention it so there likely isn't one.

The alarm system is standard on the SXT and all higher models.

Up here insurance companies factor in OEM alarms in their pricing - to qualify for a discount you'd need to have a recognised aftermarket security system installed.

i just pulled up the 2016 journey features in i guess the U.S. ,It states sentry key@ theft deterrent system standard on all journeys and security alarm optional on sxt and crossroads plus only 

Edited by 2late4u

13 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

i just pulled up the 2016 journey features in i guess the U.S. ,It states sentry key@ theft deterrent system standard on all journeys and security alarm optional on sxt and crossroads only 

The sentry key is simply the transponder system.  Not an alarm.

I guess you guys get to pay extra for the alarm on the SXT and Crossroad Plus (it isn't available on the base Crossroad according to the US web site) - and it is standard on the R/T.

Huge branding differences between Canada and the US - We only have one Crossroad, though it is available in FWD and AWD versions, with the AWD being fully loaded and the FWD not.  The Crossroad FWD is above the SXT, it has everything an SXT has plus a whole bunch more (I could post the list, but if you really care you can always go to the web site yourself) - but I suspect the SXT is delivered with less in Canada (no tri-zone air, for example, according to the list) than in the US.  Plus we have the 'Limited' model which is a loaded up SXT with heated cloth seats and the garage door opener and costs the same as a FWD Crossroad . . . . AWD is ONLY available on the R/T and Crossroad . . . the Crossroad AWD being ABOVE the R/T in the pecking order.

Your last post nailed it - when you lock the doors while you are still sitting in it, the horn will sound three times indicating that it thinks the key is still inside.

The doors should also unlock as that happens.  It's all to ensure you don't lock your keys inside.

I keep the fob in my "folding ruler" pocket of my carpenter jeans/shorts.  I have always locked the door with the black button on the door handle.  In two years of doing this, the horn has never beeped 3X!