smell towing uphill

pmjay

Hello...I couldn't find any info on this topic... maybe someone can help.

I have a 2010 Journey R/T. 6 cylinder. low mileage.

The Rv is tiny. 13' Little Bigfoot. About 1200 lbs. Plus gear and food for 2 people.

It did not come equipped with the tow package and there is no oil cooler listed on the window sticker.

I towed with it for the first time and going uphill there was a distinct smell, like burning rubber or the like.

This happened twice. on the trip out and trip back. It was a short trip, less than an hour and the oil temp gauge didn't move.

My understanding was that all the Journeys had a transmission cooler , but only those with tow package had an oil cooler.

I asked my dealer about installing only and they were totally useless, couldn't find any such part, didn't know what it was.??

Does anyone know what this could be? Also, I may be paranoid, but I sometimes think I hear a "tick" from the engine since that weekend.

thanks for any help.

Edited by pmjay

I think the OP is referring to "oil cooler" and not filter.

Talk to someone who sells trailers they must have

references for someone who installs after market coolers.

Have the tranny serviced by dealer/tranny shop to

start fresh with fluid and filter in tranny.

pmjay, on 29 Jun 2016 - 11:55 AM, said:

Yeah, I posted it before I finished writing. Its since been edited. Thanks

And yes, I meant oil cooler.

Thanks. All I saw was "anyone know what could cause it?" lol

Aftermarket transmission cooler would probably be a good investment.

a tranny cooler would help . did you monitor the engine oil temp or the tranny oil temp , weight of the rv is one part but also consider how much drag a rv adds . maybe backing down a little going up hill and taking it out of over driver would make the tranny happier.

I would have the tranny checked , since there is not a dipstick you can not see or smell what the tranny fluid is like .

Wouldn't that mean everyone who tows with a Journey needs to add an auxiliary transmission cooler? Wouldn't adding an oil cooler be the only thing missing when compared to a vehicle that came with the tow package option?

The tow package consists of the oil cooler, a wire harness that terminates by the spare tire, and a harness with a bunch of relays that plugs into the harness that terminates by the spare. You have to buy and install the hitch, install the harness with all the relays and then have the Dealer activate the trailer lights. For some reason, my DJ came with the oil cooler and the harness that terminates by the spare. The Trailer Tow Group was not listed on my window sticker. I found the correct harness with the relays on eBay and purchased a Mopar hitch. This is the most Mickey Mouse Trailer Tow Package that I have ever seen! Oh, and because I have a Crossroad, the Mopar hitch is listed as not fitting! Go figure.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to get an aux trasmission cooler, but I would definitely look into the engine oil cooler. It fits between the filter housing and the block and is water cooled.

Edited by dhh3

Yeah, adding an oil cooler makes more sense if that's all that's missing from the "tow package". Hitch and wiring hooked up and all good. Aren't some oil coolers air cooled? As in oil circulates in tubing?

With a V6, you also have the 6-speed transmission. Owner's manual suggests that you can keep the transmission in drive, but frequent shifting is likely in hilly areas or with load changes (wind, acceleration, etc.) Set the transmission to the 5 range to reduce gear hunting (and prolong the life of the transmission).