Car resets while driving at 70MPH, then transmission fixed at 2nd gear !!!

Hi, first post here:

In my last trip, after 400 miles, running at 70mph in the night the car suddenly resets, all lights off, then on. Engine lost power then restarts and keeps fixed on 2nd or 3rd gear until I side park by the road. I was in total panic as I was travelling with my wife ans kids. Thanks God there was no one around so I just kept driving straight before slowing down and park. I had 100 miles more to home so after shutting down and restart I could put Direct and drive as normal. This is the 2nd time , last one was 3 months ago, almost the same setup.

Any ideas?

Journey R/T

60.000 miles

all services in the local authorized dealer (Corrientes, Argentina)

Thanks in advance.

Ignore him. His mother dropped him on his head when he was a baby and he's never been right since . . . . .

So, just cruising along and shutdown? The weird part is that it restarted by itself . . . . I'd have expected it to have required a manual restart.

This is not an easy one to diagnose . . . . when it restarted was the check engine light on? If it was, then if you'd been able to read the code you may have gotten a clue. Code readers can be bought in the orient for little money and if the light was on it might prove to be a good investment.

(sorry my bad english)

Thanks for the response (to both ;) I can't remember if the check-engine light was on, as I kept eyes on the road. All I know is that engine powered off (all lights off, including front ones) and instantly on. When parked and before powering off the car, tried to set to manual transmission, but panel kept the D on, and 2nd gear fixed. Finally, after off and on, all went back to normal.

Maybe its the transmission as I recall the guy at the service shop telling that it was time to re-something the screws/springs of the automatic transmission.

I love the car, kids do too because of the DVD player. Also I don’t want to pass this potential risk to the next owner.

I had a similar instance with my Jeep Commander, except that the engine did not go off/on. It may have been an electronic hiccup with the TIPM. Try disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for a half hour or so to reset the entire system. Something needing to be reset in the transmission would not cause the engine to shut down and then come back on by itself.

Your English is fine.

Edited by dhh3

I agree with dhh3 - I can't hurt to reset the vehicle with a battery disconnect - but I personally have my doubts that the transmission controller (rather than the transmission itself) caused the problem, though, being a computer it probably locked up with the power glitch, which is why it worked after the restart.

While I've seen batteries do all sorts of strange things, usually they don't cause the car to shut down - the battery may be getting old and may (or may not) be due for replacement, but if it caused the problem I'd have to say that it was due to the voltage being too low during the engine cranking - ad that low voltage would have glitched the computer . . . .

Start by resetting the vehicle by disconnecting the battery wire at the jump terminal and leaving it off for 30 minutes. If the problem recurs, the usual best way to begin is with the cheap and obvious . . . . like the battery - you're going to need a new one at some point anyway.

Note, of course that these are just my impressions from a long distance from where you are, based only on your quick explanation and without having done any formal diagnostics..