2009 2.4 125k miles and shes sputtering bad.

Ok guys n gals, car has been a workhorse, not too many issues other than plugs and now she's getting cranky. Wife was on the highway last night when this all started and she really isnt giving me any details other than steering got hard and engine died.

Ok so i went to pick car up, hooked up scanner and got a bunch of codes for the crank sensor. Out of range, variation and something else. Car started and idled fine though, so i cleared codes and limped home. Started off good but mil started flashing and occasionally would go solid, less than 2 miles total and 10mph all the way. This morning i swapped the crank sensor and started it up, starts easy and idles good at first, test drive i get flash and solid p0301. No other codes. Swapped 1 and 2 coils, no change. Swapped 1 and 4 plugs, no change. Swapped 1 and 2 injectors, no change. Still just p0301 but if i try to drive within 100 yards i get flash and runs like crap.

Where should i start my search? I have an innova scanner that can log and show freeze frame pid data and tools i need, but the p0301 not moving after swapping parts between cyliders has me puzzled. Planning on doing compression test next to see what i have inside, but as plug actually looks good and has no fuel smell at all i am doubting an internal issue.

Do you guys think one of the cam sensors might be bad and could possibly be sending funky signals to tge pcm? Or heaven forbid a jumped timing belt (dealt with that on an old neon 2.0, scrapped instead of fixing it)?

Welcome some expert insight here, and i have no problems pulling and posting PID info if it will help. Thanks, Erix

Does this car have a pressure sensor for the mil if it gets low fuel pressure? I have been leaning towards fuel pressure or cat converter since it idles fine, just bucks when try to drive it. Had a wierd misfire/stumble last yr because plugs were going out, of course wife didnt say anything for a month or so, thinking that may contribute to fouling the cat.

The thing that i kept coming back to with fuel pump was that its specific p0301 i figure fuel pressure would give me 0300 or at least multiple cylinders. The more i play with it the more im leaning towards the pcm sensing something and going into limp rather than mechanical problem.

wiring to either the coil pack for number one or the injector for number one would be my next choice to check..

cleaned the connectors and check to see if you are indeed getting a proper signal to both the coil pack and injector,

follow it back you might have had a critter chewing on wires or maybe a wire from the injector or coil pack is frayed and grounding out or losing connection.

also wires and connectors to the crank sensor or the new crank sensor is not good .

no timing belt on this little motor just a timing chain ..

Edited by Dusty256

Maybe onto something, im gonna ask wife but pretty sure she filled tank from empty just before all of this.

Thank god this one doesnt have a timing belt, if i am getting pretty steady rpm reading through the scanner and no wierd jumps you still think it could be bad crank sensor? Might try another one, since it didnt seem to change anything. I have a noid light for the injector but is there anything similar for the coil?

Thanks a million guys.

Noid says injector is getting juice and when its sputtering and shaking if i pull the 1 coil pack connector off it gets much worse. Can also feel injector tapping with my finger while running so i think its on to new plugs and compression test right now.

Its gotta be something electrical thats breaking contact once warm, idleing it is fine but once it gets warm i get 0301 pending then if i rev it the code is set.

Thats what i had thought dusty, but its only cylinder 1, no others. I just finished compression test, 150 on all 4 cylinders. Put new plugs in as well, it seems to run fine until i rev to 3000. Started shaking after a long idle, confirmed i have no fire on 1, pulled coil connector, no change, pulled injector plug, no change. I could feel the injector clicking once reconnected but no change in how running.

Looked over wiring, all still covered and taped exactly how it came from factory so i dont think i have shorts there, dont wanna open the loom until last resort. Wife going to get another crank sensor right now, i been reading too much onthem being bad new from the box for my comfort.

Update. Fuel pressure is pretty solid at 55 psi between rail and supply, used 5/16 like from quick connect to rail. Needle was getting jumpy when it started sputtering, maybe 1-2 psi jumps but def happens with the feel of the miss.

Got it to start missing and quickly pulled injector plug, noid light says no pulse when it stumbles. So aside from wiring, am i looking at anything else besides pcm?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it took so long to reply. Dodge had it for little over a week here, just got it back Wednesday. They replaced 1 o ring on an injector, was seeping fuel (i tore it when swapping injectors around). I told them if they would just diagnose it then i would fix it myself, but due to insurance they could not work on it inside the shop knowing it was leaking fuel so i had them change it.

Now comes the interesting part, the tech couldnt find a reason why it would suddenly act up. He checked everything i had done and no problems, they called to say they were still working on it but couldnt find anything wrong. Car was up for the WIN module recall (i had the paperwork but have been putting it off) so he went ahead and did the recall, reflashed the PCM for it and problem gone. It had to have been something wonky in the pcm, but it was not replaced, only flashed.

Grand total, 110 labor for injector o ring, 9 dollars for o ring. WIN module, 2 new keys and the pcm flash were all taken care of by recall, at no cost. Do not know if the recall items caused the symptoms or if it was a glitch in the pcm, but my wife is happy to have car back, im happy it was under 130 after tax, and we are both happy with our local dodge dealership. Stand up guys, no hassle and im regaining some faith in car dealerships (had one of the plagued, 6.0 ford diesels before and lost all faith in ford dealershipS).

that's good , funny with the labor when the injector is so easy to pull out . must of been a glitch in the memory of the Pcm ..

I am taking mine in for the win recall but first I want to do so maintenance items before hand. don't. trust the dealership here because he said to do the recall they would need the car for 4 days to inspect it before hand... it's supposed to be a simple 1 to 2 hour replacement and ref lash .

I understand the whole not trusting the dealer on those things. My brother took his nissan in for 2 recalls, was told car needed 1600 in work to get it in shape to do recall. Needless to say he sold it and handed the recall notice to the new owner.

I was going to do the injector orings myself before i took it to the dealer but parts store didnt have them in stock and i was about ready to blow a fuse troubleshooting it so just let them deal with it. Normally dont worry much about cars being down a bit but my wife proved to be my motivation here.